Played out tropes in TV and Film

The OP

Husband or wife to their spouse who they haven't seen since yesterday -

'What happened? You didn't come home last night'.

As if they haven't been up all night trying to get hold of them/find them.

Hiding an engagement ring in food will always, always backfire, being swallowed or causing the recipient to choke, etc. (As seen in Corrie last night.)

Also, when the husband pretends to have forgotten a wedding anniversary to hide the fact that he's arranged a surprise party. The wife will storm out before she can find out about it. (i.e. Fawlty Towers)

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve moaned about storms before and how something absolutely ridiculous happens during them. Characters are never caught by surprise by the “storm” no matter how big or small they end up being, they mention it about 50 times each before it comes, so why they don’t just stay in. Why do they go on a mad adventure? Why do they climb on roofs and try to fix the tele (Willie from Still Game and Seth Cohen for example).

Watching Seinfeld for the first time and, I think this has been mentioned already on here, people who don't live in the house they're in just going to the fridge and getting a drink or food without asking.  Kramer does it in nearly every episode.

Ironically Larry David addresses this in Curb when his doctor does it - 

Two people are stalking each other in a forest or some such place. Person A gets a sight on Person B and shoots them in the chest. Person B  is wearing a bullet proof vest so when person A goes to escape person B gets up and follows them and kills/captures them.

SHOOT THEM IN THE FUCKING HEAD.

On 26/02/2022 at 14:42, KingRocketman II said:

I think in the interests of "realism" and with a greater focus on continuity am finding the opposite to this;  the mildest form of exertion in one scene - a minor scuffle for example - is followed-up in the next scene by the characters involved gasping for breath as if they had just come out of a 200m sprint. 

Straying into the field of video games, you regularly find that your character (often a military veteran or similar type with a high level of fitness) is capable of running for literally a dozen paces before wheezing like an elderly asthmatic and pulling up with a stitch.

15 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Watching Seinfeld for the first time and, I think this has been mentioned already on here, people who don't live in the house they're in just going to the fridge and getting a drink or food without asking.  Kramer does it in nearly every episode.

I take it you've not seen the episode where Kramer actually runs amok in Jerry's flat?

On 11/03/2022 at 23:33, sfha said:

I take it you've not seen the episode where Kramer actually runs amok in Jerry's flat?

Not yet brother. On season 3.

On 11/03/2022 at 08:27, TheScarf said:

Kramer does it because he was invited to by Jerry - "anything I have is yours" - as an early friendly welcome to his new neighbour that was taken literally. 

In other shows, yeah, they do it presumably to illustrate the ease of each party within the relationship. A real American sit-com trope, I agree....

Edited by KingRocketman II

• 4 weeks later...

more an annoyance than a trope but on occasions when a movie needs to include a main character who is also a comedian doing stand-up, that comedian will be considered by one an all to be hilarious and they "killed out their tonight" - with the audience laughing and clapping uproariously. However the material/jokes will invariably be as funny as a kick to the nuts. 

I imagine it is because the screenwriter(s) attempt to do the stand-up material themselves rather than just rip-off some famous comedian's material. And they seem to all dip into the same well when attempting this. 

The Apple TV show Slow Horses is the latest show/movie that reminded me of this particular bug-bear I have. 

On 10/04/2022 at 21:54, KingRocketman II said:

more an annoyance than a trope but on occasions when a movie needs to include a main character who is also a comedian doing stand-up, that comedian will be considered by one an all to be hilarious and they "killed out their tonight" - with the audience laughing and clapping uproariously. However the material/jokes will invariably be as funny as a kick to the nuts. 

I imagine it is because the screenwriter(s) attempt to do the stand-up material themselves rather than just rip-off some famous comedian's material. And they seem to all dip into the same well when attempting this. 

The Apple TV show Slow Horses is the latest show/movie that reminded me of this particular bug-bear I have. 

I have encountered the same.

You will probably find it is something to do with storytelling.  Watching the movie, you are supposed to be a spectator or fly-on-the-wall, as opposed to being someone in that audience. 

Maybe they want to convey  the hard graft of being a comedian and they want you to relate to the comedian not the audience.

"You think the joke is funny the first time you hear it.  Tell me what you think after telling it every night for the next eight weeks."

That is my theory.

Edited by Fullerene

• 3 weeks later...

When a character has went off the rails and doesn’t turn up to work for a couple of days, a worried colleague will come and chap the door to see if everything is okay. The character will put on a smile and act like everything is fine, but the colleague sees through this charade straight away before asking ‘can I come in?’, with a worried expression across their face. 

The main character will turn and walk back in to the house without saying anything, and this is taken by the colleague as permission to follow them in, where they will find empty bottles of wine and pizza boxes scattered around the living room. The main character will then confess to whatever has happened to get them in to this mess, and the colleague will offer their help. Sometimes the colleague will start tidying the wine bottles and pizza boxes away, and say something like ‘bet you feel better already eh?’ 

Every working class family in the north of England in the 1980s has a son or a brother who got killed in the Falklands or Northern Ireland. Usually he didn't want to join the army but he couldn't get a job since the local mine or factory closed down so he had no choice.