Played out tropes in TV and Film

The OP

It always annoys when folk (more so in TV shows) take a call then put the phone to their chest to relay the message or tell another on screen character who is on the phone. But they never tell the person on the phone "oh wait a minute X". I know it's so the audience knows but I always think, if I was on the end of that line I'd be pretty pissed off with their rudeness!

On 05/07/2020 at 13:06, D.A.F.C said:

3000 bad guys can shoot at the main hero of the film but he/she can never miss.
Stormtroopers
emoji38.png

There is a lore explanation for this, I think. That the Empire disarmed the Clones at the end of the Clone Wars and just hired cheap human replacements that clearly have no training.

(Usually in soaps.) Two people have a conversation in a pub or cafe, about some personal or even criminal matter, without worrying that the folk at the next table can hear every word.

Somebody awakens from a nightmare and sits bolt upright.

Somebody gets a phone call telling them to turn on the TV. When they do so the news item concerning them is just starting - even though it must have been already on to make the other person ring them.

dialogue from any number of thrillers/horrors:

potential victim phones friend/protagonist (though not the polis). Clearly and calmly states "I think there is someone in the house. I can hear someone's footsteps coming downstairs towards me." OR "I am being followed. I think this guy is about to attack me"

Friend/protagonist's response: "wow. slow down. You are not making any sense"

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/08/2020 at 07:21, sfha said:

Wealthy lawyer/professional returns to his home town after being estranged from family for years. He lands at airport then proceeds to drive 100s of miles to get to his destination.

See also, people who are driving vast distances across the USA and make the whole journey on remote back roads.

• 3 weeks later...

Mom shouting for the kids to come down for breakfast, they take one bite of toast then she ushers them out the door coz she's late.

Man and women go for pokes of chips and walk down the entire length of the street nibbling on one chip.

A freshly poured coffee/tea barely covers the bottom of the cup.

Family mealtime consists of everyone shuffling their spuds and meat around the plate or eating one pea at a time.

Not so much a trope, but it really burns my beans when actors pour themselves a pretend drink and can't act like the containers have any weight. They're all utterly terrible at it.

20 hours ago, sfha said:

Mom shouting for the kids to come down for breakfast, they take one bite of toast then she ushers them out the door coz she's late.

Man and women go for pokes of chips and walk down the entire length of the street nibbling on one chip.

A freshly poured coffee/tea barely covers the bottom of the cup.

Family mealtime consists of everyone shuffling their spuds and meat around the plate or eating one pea at a time.

No one ever asks a question to someone who's just taken a big mouthful of food, resulting in them chewing self consciously for a minute while everyone waits for a response.