Lewis Capaldi hatred thread

He's fucking dreadful. His voice is annoying as f**k, and his songs sound like they were written by a 5 year old who got a rhyming dictionary for Christmas
His voice sounds like he is either purposefully trying to bring up, or trying to hold back vomit

Capaldi has reached that point of success where he's gone from a somewhat charming, up and coming talent, to being everywhere and people just being sick of him and his omnipresent bonce and patter.

7 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

Gerry Cinnamon still has to prove his worth, he’s yet to make an appearance on the Jools Holland show and I personally set this as the benchmark for any band/singer to improve their status. As far as I’m aware, he is yet to appear on TV doing a live performance other than on “STV 2.” I am happy to be proved wrong.

5 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

The day Gerry Cinammon appears on Jools Holland is the day I hunt down Jools Holland and force feed him frozen pizzas with a mango topping until the little cockney Ivory tinkler bursts.

I've been reliably informed that bands pay to go on Jools Holland (unless they're an established act).  Sure the price was about £4k or something to go on.

Edited by Highland Capital

Sheeran is another one who I don’t get the hype about. He’s heralded as some kind of musical genius. Some innovator who has created this new genre. 

All his songs are really safe and easy if you get me. He doesn’t push any boundaries and doesn’t leave you thinking ‘I’ve never heard anything like that before, fair play m8.’

Plus as others have said, he’s fucking dull, speaks with a private school accent and clearly is a Tory.

And as I type this, that fucking Gerry Cinnamon song comes on the radio....

3 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Sheeran is another one who I don’t get the hype about. He’s heralded as some kind of musical genius. Some innovator who has created this new genre. 

All his songs are really safe and easy if you get me. He doesn’t push any boundaries and doesn’t leave you thinking ‘I’ve never heard anything like that before, fair play m8.’

I've often argued the same point.  His music doesn't particularly do anything for me and he seems fairly unthreatening but I'm surprised he's managed to become as big as he has.  The whole loop pedal stuff has been done before and there's plenty of acoustic singer songwriter types about.  Even then, his music is very safe if you know what I mean.  One massive act who are often derided is U2, but they have a fair amount of danger and originality, particularly in their early records.  

His music isn't bad, but it's not particularly exciting nor original.  I've had people argue in the past that his songs are very relatable but you could say that for literally thousands of songs.  How he's reached the level that he's now a massive stadium act is beyond me. 

Edited by Highland Capital

How he's reached the level that he's now a massive stadium act is beyond me. 

It’s fairly simple really. Enough people like his music and are willing to pay money to see him, that he sells out stadiums.

15 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

He is the male version of Adele.  In a way she found a massive market in targeting fat lassies who'd been dumped at some point in their life, he has taken that market on and added other demographics to it

Adele clearly has the potential for an amazing piano house record which Sheeran and Capaldi don't. Maybe palling about with Skepta will make her next album a classic.

10 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

Gerry Cinnamon still has to prove his worth, he’s yet to make an appearance on the Jools Holland show and I personally set this as the benchmark for any band/singer to improve their status. As far as I’m aware, he is yet to appear on TV doing a live performance other than on “STV 2.” I am happy to be proved wrong.

The lack of live acoustic sets by him is shocking, a quick search on YouTube reveals he hasn’t done any sets for Radio shows, such as the Radio 1 live lounge or Radio X etc. Given that his songs are now regularly played on those stations and others, and that he’s quite popular down south, I refuse to believe nobody in the music world is asking him “hey, Gerry - fancy doing a live recorded acoustic set for us?”

Questions have to be asked.

I know someone who worked in the O2 Academy in Liverpool and said that 90+% of the tickets sold for Gerry Cinnamon had Glasgow postcodes. 

8 hours ago, throbber said:

This is pretty much how I find it, don’t think any ones music is unavoidable as it once was with all the variety you now have to listen to and who you can follow on social media. I have been unaware of anything Capaldi has done since the Noel Gallagher feud.

Noel Gallagher is an arsehole as well, he has been taking unprovoked swipes at other artists since the 90’s with Blur then I remember comments about Muse, Franz Ferdinand and then he put a wager on with Jo Whiley in 2005 that the Arctic Monkeys would never win a Brit award and he never rated them. He clearly can’t be happy for anyone else to threaten reaching the level of fame Oasis got in 1995. He’s also a Tory. 

I think there's a bit of kayfabe going on with Noel Gallagher there. He's clearly positioned himself as an elder statesman of rock music and knows that slagging off any up and coming act is going to give them press. Capaldi's agent probably asked him to do it.

I think there's a bit of kayfabe going on with Noel Gallagher there. He's clearly positioned himself as an elder statesman of rock music and knows that slagging off any up and coming act is going to give them press. Capaldi's agent probably asked him to do it.

Oasis are not and have never been rock music, it's shite indie for bucket hat wearing neds.

7 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

This forum alone could fill pages and pages with suggestions.

Pretty sure he meant chart music.

7 hours ago, pozbaird said:

I started thinking about the great (IMHO) music from the last fifteen years, and I only needed to say the names Wolf Alice and Silversun Pickups before just stopping there. Could go on, and on.

I'm very, very keen on The Black Keys personally. Weight of Love is thoroughly excellent (especially that solo near the end, unf) and probably my favourite song of theirs but there's plenty of great fairly recent stuff from them too like Lonely Boy and Dead and Gone.

24 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

I'm very, very keen on The Black Keys personally. Weight of Love is thoroughly excellent (especially that solo near the end, unf) and probably my favourite song of theirs but there's plenty of great fairly recent stuff from them too like Lonely Boy and Dead and Gone.

Yeah, love Black Keys too. Another great new band are The Struts. Great songs, great frontman in Luke Spiller.

I'm glad to see this thread has so many replies. I took a real dislike to him before I even knew who he was or had heard his music on the basis that he had "Lewis Calamari" as his Twitter name. This reminded me of the sort of patter vacuums you grew up with who would think that someone making an honest mistake was funny for several weeks after it happened. Sure, you all giggle along at the start, but you get the p***ks who constantly bring it up at every opportunity even months later.

That might seem like a petty reason to dislike someone, but I've stuck by it and been proven correct. A complete tryhard.

22 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

lewis-2.jpg

Fast forward a few more Happy Meals with Coke and this will be him:

dcxb792-81b7466c-8799-496a-bf4b-47b4b821

Good to know there's a McDonalds in Forfar as I've got a wee trip up that way soon. 

Just now, Shandon Par said:

Good to know there's a McDonalds in Forfar as I've got a wee trip up that way soon. 

Little known fact, it used to be run by Brian Grant, formerly of Aberdeen Football Club, Stirling Albion Football Club, Dundee Football Club and Hibernian Football Club Club.

Might still be, maybe ask and let us know.