France 98

Enjoyed the nostalgia of Darren Young talking about being a hamper boy with the Scotland squad at France 98:

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/well-done-michael-hes-13/id1512125760

https://open.spotify.com/episode/2hvS1H73ATeMDrskyfIrnv?si=n0OjSmFpQg6fBamJ48RpIA

I can’t wait to be at a major tournament again - hard to believe 22 years since our last one. 

7 hours ago, WellDoneMichael said:

Enjoyed the nostalgia of Darren Young talking about being a hamper boy with the Scotland squad at France 98:

https://open.spotify.com/episode/2hvS1H73ATeMDrskyfIrnv?si=n0OjSmFpQg6fBamJ48RpIA

I can’t wait to be at a major tournament again - hard to believe 22 years since our last one. 

Darren Young, holy f**k. No wonder we've been shite since then, if that was the best kid coming through he was fucking horsemeat. And his brother, more talent in my last fart than the two of them combined.

8 hours ago, WellDoneMichael said:

Who else were the hamper boys? Burchill and Callum Davidson?

Funny that, I was just thinking about the Morocco game today.

Just looking back at that game I must have been much more of an optimist back then. I thought we had a good chance. Just checking up and the guy Bassir who scored for Morocco was playing for Deportivo in Spain. So was Naybet and Hadji. Deportivo won La Liga in 1999-2000 season. Others played for Benfica and Porto. I hadn’t remembered they were ranked 13 by FIFA either.

F0C491A7-3A5B-4B06-9279-C7D0E78EDB4C.png

15AD83F9-02E6-4445-9394-26AE2291C1BB.jpeg

6BEAA998-7B1E-4C44-88E3-D44FBCD4789C.jpeg

836F625C-DCA9-4156-A335-4D6F72C72BF5.jpeg

8AD9E600-A905-43F8-8B3A-712D1B2DD0A8.jpeg

4 hours ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Jesus f**k. Not one of them a player.

Bolton signed McAnespie from Rovers for £900k. Great player for us.

Or are we talking that Kieran McAnespie? Probably is him. I’ll listen to the podcast.

Edited by Scary Bear

5 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

It was Kieran McAnespie. The whole point was having young players travel for the experience so they took players who were in the under-21s at the time; Stephen McAnespie was 26.

Indeed. Callum Davidson was a £2 million English Premiership player in the summer of 1998. The idea he'd be lugging kit around France is amusing. 

McAnespje actually got a game and scored in a friendly win over the New York Metrostars in between the Colombia and United States games. 

He'd broken into the Saints team at 16/17 and scored in wins over Celtic and Rangers but he never really stood out to me and it was a fair shock when Jean Tigana took him to Fulham, although I think John Collins - who was obviously part of the France 98 squad - had recommended him. 

Some young players don't fulfil their potential but in truth, I think McAnespie managed to wing it for a few years before eventually finding his level.

Edited by Radford

4 hours ago, Radford said:

Indeed. Callum Davidson was a £2 million English Premiership player in the summer of 1998. The idea he'd be lugging kit around France us amusing. 

McAnespje actually got a game and scored in a friendly win over the New York Metrostars in between the Colombia and United States games. 

He'd broken into the Saints team at 16/17 and scored in wins over Celtic and Rangers but he never really stood out to me and it was a fair shock when Jean Tigana took him to Fulham, although I think John Collins - who was obviously part of the France 98 squad - had recommended him. 

Some young players don't fulfil their potential but in truth, I think McAnespie managed to wing it for a few years before eventually finding his level.

My bad! Interesting that he didn't make his international debut till after that WC. Also surprising to see he only got 19 caps. I guess that was down to the emregence of Gary Naysmith.

8 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

My bad! Interesting that he didn't make his international debut till after that WC. Also surprising to see he only got 19 caps. I guess that was down to the emregence of Gary Naysmith.

It probably came a year too early for him (and Naysmith) as there were only 3 friendlies during the 1997/98 season and they were all after we'd qualified. 

He was injured when he joined Blackburn in January as well and I think only made a few appearances before the end of th season. He made his debut in the first qualifier in Lithuania. 

He suffered badly with injuries throughout his career unfortunately. 

Edited by Radford

3 minutes ago, Radford said:

It probably came a year too early for him (and Naysmith) as there were only 3 friendlies during the 1997/98 season and they were all after we'd qualified. 

He was injured when he joined Blackburn in January as well and I think only made a few appearances before the end of th season. He made his debut in the first qualifier in Lithuania

He suffered badly with injuries throughout his career unfortunately. 

I remember that game vividly for its utter shitness. 0-0 on a Saturday afternoon 😕