Thon lad Hornssby

2 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

emoji18.png I can smugly confirm that I actually watched the first half dozen or so games he played for them (or highlights where there wasn't a live stream). As I say I was quite keen to see how he fared over there. Naturally disappointing when he faded out of their first team plans and didn't watch any more when he wasn't in the team.

Thats f'ing commitment right there 🤣 

If your not live streaming belgian games in order to check up on a young scottish player. Please vacate the thread. As I will.

13 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Thats f'ing commitment right there 🤣 

If your not live streaming belgian games in order to check up on a young scottish player. Please vacate the thread. As I will.

Quite!

I just don't understand the absolutist attitude that some posters hold. It's great if you can watch games and follow every player's progress, but even with british based players, a lot of the time you have to make do with a snippet of highlights or analysing match reports/stats. Nothing wrong with that at all. Nor is there any problem with positing an opinion on a player based on that.

Peeps just need to chill a wee bit more. Lockdown will be over soon. 

1 hour ago, Gordopolis said:

Quite!

I just don't understand the absolutist attitude that some posters hold. It's great if you can watch games and follow every player's progress, but even with british based players, a lot of the time you have to make do with a snippet of highlights or analysing match reports/stats. Nothing wrong with that at all. Nor is there any problem with positing an opinion on a player based on that.

Peeps just need to chill a wee bit more. Lockdown will be over soon. 

That was my objection to your comment, 'flopped' is  a very absolutist attitude, the truth is much more nuanced than that, and the evidence (a big money move to a better team in a better league who will have watched him very closely during his loan spell) says the opposite.

32 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

That was my objection to your comment, 'flopped' is  a very absolutist attitude, the truth is much more nuanced than that, and the evidence (a big money move to a better team in a better league who will have watched him very closely during his loan spell) says the opposite.

Alright, that sounds a lot more reasonable. If you approach other people's posts in that manner you'll get a better debate out of it.

The truth is, as you say, nuanced. Perhaps I didn't make it clear that by 'flopped' I was referring to his decline in goals and game time as the season got underway.  When he failed to feature even on the bench for the last stretch of the season it very much felt like he had hit a ceiling. That doesn't mean he has no potential and is automatically set for Burger King.

However the move - which I certainly didn't claim was a bad one - is clearly a success, in that Everton sent him out on loan with a view to punting him (they gave Kortrijk a first option ot buy), and he did end up getting sold. Some pocket money for Everton and an upwards move for Horn(s)by.

And yes, I have absolutely no doubt that the professional scouts have a shit load more knowledge about football than me, you or anybody else on PnB.

58 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

You can't talk in grand terms about players if you're not watching them. Trust your eyes.

I disagree. You can say what you like, especially on a forum called 'Tartan Army Ramblings'. 

I do agree that you will usually be better informed if you watch a player first hand, but not always. Sometimes comparing the analysis of others (reports, stats etc) allows you to spot something you might have missed yourself.

In any case I wasted several hours of my life watching Horn(s)by's Kortrik appearances, so it's a moot point in this thread.

20 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

I do agree that you will usually be better informed if you watch a player first hand, but not always.

There must be a typo in this cause there's no way someone would actually write this