COWDENBEATH 2020-21

I think we need to have an adult conversation about Gary Bollan. I have made no secret of the fact that I have now lost confidence in him as the manager and that we have made little progress. I know we finished nominally in the top 5 last year but we were on the slide, looked less than convincing, and if things had continued to the end were by no means guaranteed to remain in the playoff places. I am certain that Donald will have set Gary the challenging expectation that we would be at the very least in the playoff race yet we will finish 2nd bottom and were starting to sweat. The Board have supported the manger as much as they can by bringing in players. I think I can safely say, given the comments by other compadres, that given the players we have, we should be in a much more comfortable, nay challenging position. Has Bollan taken the team as far as he can ? Should we play safe and hope that his brand of football keeps us in the division for another dreary year or should we try and bring in a fresh face with new ideas ?

9 hours ago, ronaldincoo said:

I think we need to have an adult conversation about Gary Bollan. I have made no secret of the fact that I have now lost confidence in him as the manager and that we have made little progress. I know we finished nominally in the top 5 last year but we were on the slide, looked less than convincing, and if things had continued to the end were by no means guaranteed to remain in the playoff places. I am certain that Donald will have set Gary the challenging expectation that we would be at the very least in the playoff race yet we will finish 2nd bottom and were starting to sweat. The Board have supported the manger as much as they can by bringing in players. I think I can safely say, given the comments by other compadres, that given the players we have, we should be in a much more comfortable, nay challenging position. Has Bollan taken the team as far as he can ? Should we play safe and hope that his brand of football keeps us in the division for another dreary year or should we try and bring in a fresh face with new ideas ?

It’s a good point which must be under consideration now the season is basically over.

IF you are right and the current players are capable of more, then keeping the core of them quickly would be essential along with a new manager quickly. 
There’s never that much between 4 th and 9th in my opinion so a drawn out management recruitment and a late start getting a squad together meaning a slow start could be the difference.

I can’t give a personal opinion of the players or even the manager this season as although I bought a season book I only watched about 3 games as I can’t enjoy watching it on my laptop.

An unenviable time for the board.

Stick or twist in relation to the manager. I too have only watched 3 games this season so I can’t comment overall on the strength of our squad but I certainly wasn’t impressed with what I did see. 

In the matches  I have watched  we looked fairly one dimensional in our approach to games and we were terrible to watch. Goes without saying that we have very little threat up front and certainly an area requiring urgent attention. Obviously we also need a regular keeper that we can depend on as well. It’s likely that a hungry team with financial resources will enter the league next season so the challenge isn’t going to get any easier. 

Looking at it from the outside you can definitely say that the team has failed to progress as we only finished above a poor Brechin team. I don’t feel that Bollan comes across very well in the interviews I’ve seen with him and is he the man to motivate a squad? 
If a change is going to be made then I’d agree that it needs to happen now to give the new manager time to appraise the players and strengthen the team. Whatever the board decide they deserve all the backing they can get. 

Edited by Only coo in the village

10 minutes ago, Only coo in the village said:

Stick or twist in relation to the manager. I too have only watched 3 games this season so I can’t comment overall on the strength of our squad but I certainly wasn’t impressed with what I did see. 

In the matches  I have watched  we looked fairly one dimensional in our approach to games and we were terrible to watch. Goes without saying that we have very little threat up front and certainly an area requiring urgent attention. Obviously we also need a regular keeper that we can depend on as well. It’s likely that a hungry team with financial resources is likely to enter the league next season so the challenge isn’t going to get any easier. 

Looking at it from the outside you can definitely say that the team has failed to progress as we only finished above a poor Brechin team. I don’t feel that Bollan comes across very well in the interviews I’ve seen with him and is he the man to motivate a squad? 
If a change is going to be made then I’d agree that it needs to happen now to give the new manager time to appraise the players and strengthen the team. Whatever the board decide they deserve all the backing they can get. 

Cowden did look pretty good yesterday. A decent striker is on everyone’s wish list and is what we’ve been missing for several seasons.

Aberdeen can’t get one so the chances of getting one for us look slim. We do have decent players though, even Pyper who I’ve never had much faith in had a good game yesterday.

31 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

Cowden did look pretty good yesterday. A decent striker is on everyone’s wish list and is what we’ve been missing for several seasons.

Aberdeen can’t get one so the chances of getting one for us look slim. We do have decent players though, even Pyper who I’ve never had much faith in had a good game yesterday.

Cowden certainly seem to play better football away from home, perhaps because of the dimensions and condition of the pitch at Central Park ? Swan was the main player who impressed me in the games I saw and he looks to be developing in his quality of play and composure on the ball. He may get interest from others clubs now though. 
Maybe a few key changes in personnel would make a big difference. Obviously it’s been another very strange season, with the intensity in games and the difficult in getting time for actual training.  The stakes get higher every year so hopefully we will be a bettter proposition next season. 

It's hard to judge on this season I think. Behind the scenes the priorities would have been to keep the club alive and keep them in the league. So from that point of view it has been accomplished. Even if the football has been hard to watch at times.

Agree we need to improve as the league is only going to get harder as more teams come up from non league.

From my point of view I am just glad we are still about. Can't wait to get to the maracana and shout on the boys, silky football or not.

Mon the Cowden.

Bollan certainly doesn't smile much that's for sure. At this level with tight budgets you can't afford to make too many recruitment mistakes and the manager has had a lot more hits than misses Clarke and Cavanaugh both looked good signings but one picked up a long term injury and the other allowed to go back to Ireland when it looked like we might not be playing. The loan signings  haven't worked out so well this season. Ollie Hamilton w as just a waste of a loan. Everyone can pick faults, reluctance to change when things are not going well .  Etc. He made a great signing in Jordan Allen then didn't play him and so on I agree with Henry Hill, hard to judge on this season. Personally I would stick with him for another season at least.

So we're less than forty minutes off the last game of the season, and whilst being delighted this match is a complete dead rubber, I'm even happier that this season will finally be finished for Cowdenbeath.

Well done to everyone involved at the club, including the players and coaching staff [who I have admittedly criticised] for managing to avoid that dreaded last spot, [and thanks to Brechin for once again being absolute gash once again], and I can't wait to hopefully return for a few games new season with Cowden, thankfully, still in the league.  Finally, and most importantly, the effort that has gone on behind the scenes must also be applauded during what has been the most unprecedented of seasons, and often seemed a thankless task.

Stay safe folks, have a great summer, let's hope Scotland can beat England in the Euros, and hopefully see you all again next season in better times

Edited by Drifter

A chance to regroup and look ahead.  I've not hidden my feelings about Bollan and his tactics etc but it's probably better just now to have some stability at the club.  I'd say it's pretty clear that the players enjoy playing for him and I'd like to think that our keys players will be wanting to sign on for another season.

What we do need though is a freaking starting goalkeeper who is contracted to the club :lol: We've done well with loans admittedly but we've had the following in goals for us under Bollan (I think anyway):

• Nicky Hogarth
  • Mac Whyte 
  • PJ Morrison
  • Josh Rae
  • Maciej Dabrowski
  • Sam Henderson
  • Aaron Lennox
  • Gary Maley
  • David McGurn
  • Ryan Goodfellow
  • Joe McGovern
  • Blair Penman

15 minutes ago, The Minertaur said:

A chance to regroup and look ahead.  I've not hidden my feelings about Bollan and his tactics etc but it's probably better just now to have some stability at the club.  I'd say it's pretty clear that the players enjoy playing for him and I'd like to think that our keys players will be wanting to sign on for another season.

What we do need though is a freaking starting goalkeeper who is contracted to the club :lol: We've done well with loans admittedly but we've had the following in goals for us under Bollan (I think anyway):

• Nicky Hogarth
  • Mac Whyte 
  • PJ Morrison
  • Josh Rae
  • Maciej Dabrowski
  • Sam Henderson
  • Aaron Lennox
  • Gary Maley
  • David McGurn
  • Ryan Goodfellow
  • Joe McGovern
  • Blair Penman

Ross Munro

& Jamie Pyper!

We have needed a proper winger for 3 seasons . One who is less predictable and creates more chances . Need a left back . Cause if we hold onto Swann I would like him further up pitch where he can impact games more . Striker of course is most obvious solution we need . Bit of pace and better movement and we will win more games . Anyway great result last night could have scored a couple more 

6 hours ago, The Minertaur said:

• Nicky Hogarth
  • Mac Whyte 
  • PJ Morrison
  • Josh Rae
  • Maciej Dabrowski
  • Sam Henderson
  • Aaron Lennox
  • Gary Maley
  • David McGurn
  • Ryan Goodfellow
  • Joe McGovern
  • Blair Penman

Know a goalkeeper looking for a new club in the summer if there's anyone with connections at the club.

Currently with Stenny and was on trial with Dundee Utd reserves + Falkirk last summer.

6 hours ago, SuperCowden said:

We have needed a proper winger for 3 seasons . One who is less predictable and creates more chances . Need a left back . Cause if we hold onto Swann I would like him further up pitch where he can impact games more . Striker of course is most obvious solution we need . Bit of pace and better movement and we will win more games . Anyway great result last night could have scored a couple more 

Few boys saying a striker has agreed to sign, although he may be past his peak.