COWDENBEATH 2020-21

8 minutes ago, SuperCowden said:

I would have preferred the game was on to help the club little bit lol . Strange it’s off over one positive test . We still played in those circumstances . Ah well 

The SPFL statement :

Saturday’s Scottish League 2 match between Cowdenbeath and Albion Rovers at Central Park has been postponed after Albion Rovers informed the SPFL that they could not fulfil the fixture.

Albion Rovers have informed the SPFL that, due to seven players and staff testing positive for Covid-19 and several other players self-isolating, they have insufficient players to fulfil the fixture.

As a result, and in line with standard procedure, the SPFL has postponed the fixture pending an investigation into the events at Albion Rovers.

Yeah just read it on their forum there . My bad . The newspaper said it’s one positive why I thought that . Sounds a shambles all round this testing 
Albion have tried everything they could to get the game on however there was debate over several players being in isolation that possibly should not have been.
Test and Protect make the final decision and there was no way there were enough players to fulfil the fixture.
Its probably not the last game to fall victim to this.

Not ideal however the health of both clubs involved must be the priority

• 2 weeks later...

A few observations from the game in Elgin.

Olly Hamilton is pish.  Shouldn't be getting a game.  Positionally poor and looked useless with the ball at his feet.  A chance in the first half came when a free kick was floated in and Barr beat the keeper to it.  The ball dropped between the penalty spot and the goal and all it needed was an attacker to be there and he was nowhere to be seen.

That also applies to Iain Russell who either is nowhere near fit enough or is done as an effective footballer.  Could be harsh on him here as he clearly needs a competent strike partner.

We need to be careful to watch our right hand side as Mullen was constantly being left to deal with a 2 on 1 as Graham Taylor wasn't back helping out.  We all know Mullen is a reliable player but he can't handle that every game.

Other than that the team looked alright.  Todd was doing grand until his back injury while Glass was solid.  In midfield that was one of the best games I've seen Kyle Miller have while Herd and Clarke looked fine. Swann looked excellent when he came off the bench and I'm sure he'll be starting with Clarke out.

2 hours ago, The Minertaur said:

A few observations from the game in Elgin.

Olly Hamilton is pish.  Shouldn't be getting a game.  Positionally poor and looked useless with the ball at his feet.  A chance in the first half came when a free kick was floated in and Barr beat the keeper to it.  The ball dropped between the penalty spot and the goal and all it needed was an attacker to be there and he was nowhere to be seen.

That also applies to Iain Russell who either is nowhere near fit enough or is done as an effective footballer.  Could be harsh on him here as he clearly needs a competent strike partner.

We need to be careful to watch our right hand side as Mullen was constantly being left to deal with a 2 on 1 as Graham Taylor wasn't back helping out.  We all know Mullen is a reliable player but he can't handle that every game.

Other than that the team looked alright.  Todd was doing grand until his back injury while Glass was solid.  In midfield that was one of the best games I've seen Kyle Miller have while Herd and Clarke looked fine. Swann looked excellent when he came off the bench and I'm sure he'll be starting with Clarke out.

You’ve nailed it. Almost all Elgin’s attacks were coming down our right hand side. If Renton is fit that should at least give us a bit more threat but don’t know who could play alongside him. We really are missing Coxy, we won’t get a replacement easily.

And Glass did have another good game.

2 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

You’ve nailed it. Almost all Elgin’s attacks were coming down our right hand side. If Renton is fit that should at least give us a bit more threat but don’t know who could play alongside him. We really are missing Coxy, we won’t get a replacement easily.

And Glass did have another good game.

I liked the look of Kavanagh.  Him and Renton would be decent but Kris isn't fully fit.  Fairly sure he was playing with a knock on Saturday and there's no guarantee that he'd get through a run of games.

This squad is playing with niggles and injuries its actually evident the way they tire so much during some games im not gonna out players or pass poor judgement on them.

Kavanagh should start every week regardless of whom plays alongside him. Russell in what I have seen is so far off the pace its hard to watch that is not his fault to be fair. Old age and no playing time since March perhaps even longer? will no doubt have done his sharpness even at his age no good. If he plays 3-4 consecutive games he may get sharper however he would have to play against an unbelievably poor defence to show up well.

Renton is not fit and from what I hear shouldnt even be on the bench due to an injury but fair play to him to try make himself available. Toddy clearly wasnt match fit and has now damaged himself further. I personally would do the following against Queens Park and will likely mention it during BBTV this weekend.

Last season at one point we played fraser mullen left back/wing back but mainly as a defensive outlet rather than attacking. We had 3 centre backs and robbie buchanan right wing back.

I would play this system for a week or two and see how we go. It would look like so. GK. Robbie rwb - barr/todd/glass. If todd unfit then would have to play pyper if he is back from injury. Pyper is actually a player who we could really be doing with because of his pace. Mullen left back/lwb (defensive). Then we would go into midfield with Miller/Herd then front 3 of Kavanagh through middle. Taylor just off him to right or left playing deeper and Harvey Swann the same. They 2 players are key to the system e.g Swann/Taylor they would have less defensive duties in their own half and more  pressing in the opposition half.

It gives you options to change the shape during the game if it is not working and have attacking players from the bench e.g renton/russell/hamilton.

Lets see what Gary does with what is a depleted side but showed a lot of frailties against a team with attacking pace and threat which we will be sure to face on Saturday.

MONE THE COWDEN

Edited by NELLY

22 minutes ago, Vodka Vic said:

After today’s decision by SPFL to punish St Mirren and Killie. Rovers fans are bracing themselves for the worst for the postponement with Cowdenbeath.

I don't know the full story but surely Rovers must have known before 10am on game day that they didn't have enough players?

I think any club in our league could potentially end up in the same situation though despite taking all the necessary precautions. I'd be quite happy for the game to be reschedules because I know I wouldn't want another team being awarded a 3-0 win should the same thing happen to us.

I have no idea of the circumstances behind the Rovers postponement but as long as Rovers haven’t breached protocols as a club then it’s (correctly) a postponement.  If Rovers have breached protocols then it should be a 0-3 loss according to the precedent.

When Aberdeen players decided to go on the piss that wasn’t the clubs fault, so the game was postponed.  Killie and St. Mirren not observing protocols during official club duties is an entirely different matter.

Heres what I dont understand. The rules are dont travel in cars together or some crap like this and sit 2 metres apart on a bus etc. Yet those same players will be tugging and trying to ride each other at corners breathing heavily down someones face... Its mental.

The Albion postponement will fall down to whether they breached protocols I imagine it would be more difficult to prove at our level that they did?

5 hours ago, NELLY said:

Heres what I dont understand. The rules are dont travel in cars together or some crap like this and sit 2 metres apart on a bus etc. Yet those same players will be tugging and trying to ride each other at corners breathing heavily down someones face... Its mental.

The Albion postponement will fall down to whether they breached protocols I imagine it would be more difficult to prove at our level that they did?

Cars and buses are different - it is the length of continuous time that you are in contact/the vicinity of someone that increases the chance of infection plus infection is much less likely in the open air.  As for protocols, they are different for the non-Premier clubs as they are not antigen testing.  However, an outbreak will be subject to detailed scrutiny by local health authorities, ScotGov and the JRG - probably including a Zoom conference where there will be pretty in depth questioning

• 2 weeks later...

Not much festive cheer going on in this thread this year!  Not really surprising so I thought I'd see if I could come up with something to raise spirits.

6 years ago just before Xmas we travelled south to Dumfries to take on Queen of the South.  

So the question I ask you - what is your favourite ever away injury time winner?  Going by Soccerway that was the last time we scored a decisive goal in stoppage time on the road.

Other ones from around that time - Kyle Miller scoring in a 2v1 cup win over Clyde. Obviously the 4v3 comeback win over Stirling Albion will be a popular choice as well!

I'd like to nominate another Stirling game but it was just an equaliser.  A 2 all draw with John Ferguson scoring with the last kick of the game.  We were winning 1-0 with a Gareth Wardlaw goal before they went down to 10 men. Amazingly they then scored twice to go 2-1 up before Ferguson scrambled the ball home.  Place went mental.