After several years of the government getting people to insulate their homes and all that it looks like climate change is happening way faster than we expected and the heat over the last few summers in my well insulated house has been genuinely unbearable for short spells. This article says by 2050 (not a long way away at all) London will by like Istanbul and Edinburgh will be like Paris:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/jun/30/likelihood-of-40c-temperatures-in-uk-is-rapidly-accelerating

So because we're not going to sort climate change and civilisation will eventually be destroyed by it I'd like the intervening period to be a bit more comfortable and am thinking about getting air conditioning installed in my house. Have any P&Bers done this? Do any of our expat P&Bers have tips on how many to get and where to install them? Are there different types I should know about?

1 hour ago, MixuFruit said:

After several years of the government getting people to insulate their homes and all that it looks like climate change is happening way faster than we expected and the heat over the last few summers in my well insulated house has been genuinely unbearable for short spells. This article says by 2050 (not a long way away at all) London will by like Istanbul and Edinburgh will be like Paris:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/jun/30/likelihood-of-40c-temperatures-in-uk-is-rapidly-accelerating

So because we're not going to sort climate change and civilisation will eventually be destroyed by it I'd like the intervening period to be a bit more comfortable and am thinking about getting air conditioning installed in my house. Have any P&Bers done this? Do any of our expat P&Bers have tips on how many to get and where to install them? Are there different types I should know about?

Edinburgh is like Paris already. Full of grumpy cnuts and bad drivers!

So because we're not going to sort climate change and civilisation will eventually be destroyed by it I'd like the intervening period to be a bit more comfortable and am thinking about getting air conditioning installed in my house.

The irony being that this response to climate change will exacerbate it, leading to more people installing it, and so on: 

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/aug/29/the-air-conditioning-trap-how-cold-air-is-heating-the-world

Partner and I had air con in a property we owned in Spain for 2 years. The cost of putting it on during 40 degree heat waves every day/night for around 3 months during the Spanish summers cost around twice what we would spend on heating bills during the coldest Scottish winters.

You could consider just installing a few ceiling fans to keep your cool. They cost next to nothing to run. 

14 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

You could consider just installing a few ceiling fans to keep your cool. They cost next to nothing to run. 

And open windows at the front and back and leave the internal doors open.

We need A/C all year around where I am.   The critical thing is to make sure the size of unit is capable of cooling the air in the respective room - typically 1HP for a small-medium room and 1.5HP for a larger room.  If you do go ahead make sure you get inverter type - the initial outlay is up to double the cost of other types but the running costs are about half so it will pay for itself  quickly.  Also, in terms of noise, window types are noisier than split-type but cheaper.  You can have multi-unit systems i.e. 1 compressor feeding several units but they are less popular.  I'd only think about putting them in rooms that you actually use - not just due to cost but if they're not used enough they can be difficult.  lastly, make sure you clean the filters every couple of months and pay for a proper clean once a year - don;t fall for the sales talk that they  need it more frequently - annually is enough IMO.

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

And open windows at the front and back and leave the internal doors open.

Heating on full blast as well presumably.

The original post made me howl with laughter. Climate change is going to kill everyone so where can I get a decent AC unit to see out humanity in relative comfort.

41 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

The original post made me howl with laughter. Climate change is going to kill everyone so where can I get a decent AC unit to see out humanity in relative comfort.

yup. This is me these days:

DR. STRANGELOVE or: HOW I LEARNED TO STOP WORRYING AND LOVE THE ...

The sooner the heat gets to Scotland the better. Bring on the Climate Change.

in 2004 they predicted that by 2020 due to climate change Britain would have a 'Siberian' climate so I'd maybe suggest holding off for a few more weeks on that AC unit.

Who?

10 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

In the mid '80's, I  worked in Brunei for about 4 years.  

Standard air con arrangements in the numerous houses I rented or house sat,

was to have an air con 'box' in the  living area, every bedroom, and kitchen.

An air con box was around  2.5 ft x 2.5 ft x 2 ft.  Self contained, Electric powered. 

Fitted into hole in the wall, to the exterior.  Protruded out, very noisy, and dripped condensed water to the ground .

Edited by beefybake

Lived 6 years in Hungary without Air con and only put it in after I left to rent the house out. Avoided aircon for 6 years in Asia until my wife insisted on having it. Even here that is year round 28-35c+ Only have the air con on at night and just use fans during the day.

As you can guess I can’t stand air con and would prefer to avoid it for many reasons.

Would kind of think its overkill putting air con in Scotland, but if you do HK Blues is on the money.

Long and short invest more in quality upfront and save in the long run.

There is no air conditioning upstairs in my current residence.
It’s nearly 1am
It’s still about 85degF outside and helluva humid.
It’s about 900 degrees in my bedroom and I can’t fucking sleep!

On 01/07/2020 at 17:23, Theroadlesstravelled said:

in 2004 they predicted that by 2020 due to climate change Britain would have a 'Siberian' climate so I'd maybe suggest holding off for a few more weeks on that AC unit.

There was a lot of speculation around then about melting ice causing a slow down in the thermohaline circulation (we call our bit of it the Gulf Stream). It was certainly in the press alot. Since then many researchers backed away from it. But a couple of years ago Steffan Rahmstorf and Mike Mann revived it. There is a lot of controversy around whether its likely, how fast and how much it would cool north west Europe. But it was a news story back then. 

And we are not all "going to die" from climate change variations of that. Its going to pose huge problems in low income countries towards the end of the century but really not going to wipe us out.