Darvel F C 20/21

I think the more relegation there is to tier 5 without immediate promotion, the likelier we are to see more places in Div 2 and possibly automatic promotion. Things will take a wee while but in 5 years I predict Lowland will see some very ambitious West clubs competing in it
Good point there , yes could take a few years though

1 hour ago, BANKIEBILL said:

I think the more relegation there is to tier 5 without immediate promotion, the likelier we are to see more places in Div 2 and possibly automatic promotion. Things will take a wee while but in 5 years I predict Lowland will see some very ambitious West clubs competing in it

May well happen, but you are assuming that a West of Scotland team will beat an East of Scotland team each year (assuming neither get beat from a South of Scotland team in play-offs). In a one-off match, more often than not in recent years, top West of Scotland team came out winners against their East of Scotland opponents. But if it is a home and away match(es) to decide overall Premier League winners, no guarantee WoS will win each time.

May well happen, but you are assuming that a West of Scotland team will beat an East of Scotland team each year (assuming neither get beat from a South of Scotland team in play-offs). In a one-off match, more often than not in recent years, top West of Scotland team came out winners against their East of Scotland opponents. But if it is a home and away match(es) to decide overall Premier League winners, no guarantee WoS will win each time.
It's more likely now that three previously successful East sides in Kelty, Bonnyrigg and Boness have all been promoted. I would have fancied Talbot against any of those sides anyway over two legs.

If Talbot go up then next year's West Premier will be even better in terms of likely winners and a title race.

1 hour ago, Casey Jones said:

Will take your hand off if you're willing to bet on this notion. 

4 hours ago, The Moonster said:

They're an hour beyond Dingwall/Inverness, I'm unsure why it would be unsustainable. Sounds like the sort of long away day that hundreds of fans cry out for each year. 

Unsustainable due to being a wee village an hour plus from Inverness who, I am fairly sure, would struggle to attract players who could complete at L2 level. Divide your hundreds of fans travelling by 16 games and that's not all that many.  I think there are plenty of teams who might talk the talk re going up but don't really want the additional hassle and expense. I'd include possibly all the HL clubs and, FWIW, I can't see what L2 football would add to the Pollok or Talbot experience.

5 hours ago, Casey Jones said:

Of course not. I'm basing my opinion partly on the fact that several of the strongest EOS clubs have already transitioned to Lowland League but obviously no Westies have yet. We do need Lowland opened at both ends though

17 hours ago, Casey Jones said:

You'd hope that by 5 years time the play-off will be scrapped and both the West and East champions will be promoted automatically.

Even though the West is clearly stronger than the East right now (particularly with Kelty, Bonnyrigg and Bo'ness already promoted), 5 in a row would still be quite a feat. Even ignoring the SoSFL, there's still only statistically around a 3% chance of every winner being WoSFL, all else being equal. And of course, every West club that gets promoted weakens the WoSFL.

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Darvel legend said:

Game off again today which is strange as the president said on Monday night our park is far better than this 🤷‍♂️
that might be because they play on theirs , loads of money spent on new surface and it looks great u just Cannae play football on it when it rains 🤦🏻‍♂️

What an embarrassment. His own fault for opening his silly mouth. Is there nothing in the licensing criteria about pitch conditions?

40 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

What an embarrassment. His own fault for opening his silly mouth. Is there nothing in the licensing criteria about pitch conditions?

5.4 NATURAL GRASS SURFACES where a grass surface is rated below a satisfactory level or where a relevant body or league raises concerns regarding the suitability of a grass surface, it will be a matter for the Licensing Committee determine whether the surface meets the terms of the entry criteria.

Though we've also seen a Premiership game amongst others called off today so...

1 hour ago, jimbaxters said:

The guys that did the Park a few years ago do the Talbots , their games are never off and ours weren’t either at that time so it’s no been a great switch from the powers that  be 🤷‍♂️

2 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Is there any criteria about anyone controlling the weather. The sfa, Darvel or even talbot.

9 minutes ago, Lurcer said:

Cumbernauld off, Kilsyth on

St Rochs off , Perthshire on

your argument is flawed. 

The issue isn’t the rain it’s the park, it’s been mentioned numerous times in social media and various podcasts that it is “ up there with the best pitches in the country” when it clearly isn’t. Let’s hope that the club take the company who re-done the pitch to task, it’s the2nd game that’s been off this season and the the 2nd time there has been a bit of heavy rain, that can’t bode well for the remainder of the winter.