top 5 decades for music

pawpar

70s - heavy metal,  punk, disco, reggae, early hip hop were all at their best in the 70s. Most of my favourite artists released their greatest albums in this decade. David Bowie, Joy Division, Black Sabbath, Kraftwerk, Blondie and countless others.

80s - this was the last decade when there was any real innovation in music. The various subgenres of dance, house, techno etc were all spawned in the 80s. Anything since has just been derivative imo.

90s - my teenage years so it's what I grew up with but I do recognise that there was little originality in the 90s. The stuff that I did listen to, like Oasis, The Verve, Super Furry Animals, was good but largely influenced by what went before.

60s - I can't deny that there was a lot of ground-breaking stuff released in the 60s but unfortunately most of it is not to my taste.

50s - see what I said about the 60s.

00s and 10s were pretty pish tbh. 

The 00's and the 10's were both appallingly bad. Obviously some great records in those decades but for anything to register anywhere near the mainstream they had to be very safe and inoffensive.  Record companies don't take risks any more. They can't afford to. A  major label wouldn't consider signing a Sex Pistols or a Smiths these days. The 1975 and Blossoms are thought of as somehow alternative. Unless you have more than a passing interest in music, folks like what Radio 1 plays and what the major labels tell them to like. When I think back to my time working in record shops in the 90's, the money getting chucked around in the music industry was eye watering. So, anyway enough old c**t ranting. I'll go for:

Second half of the 60's

First 3 and last 3 years of both the 70's and 80's

First 3 years of the 90's

70's - Birth of hip hop and funk came into its own along with Krautrock.  95% of the soul/jazz/funk/Brazilian I listen to was recorded from late 60s to late 70s.  There was the Loft/Paradise Garage disco scene and punk as well if you like that noisy white stuff with no rhythm.  NYC was off the scale creatively.  

80s - Beginning of the Golden Era of hip hop, we'll never see another year like 1988, was a game changer.   70s soul scene evolved into Modern Soul/Boogie which then linked onto New Jack Swing.  UK came up with Rare Groove/Acid Jazz, a bit of a late pass compared to the US but good at the time. House/Acid/Techno started.

90s - My most listened to hip hop nowadays. Up to 96 was golden and I've fond memories of the late 90s indie hip hop/UK scene.  Neo Soul came from New Jack Swing.

60's - As above late 60s soul/jazz/funk/Brazilian is some of my most listened to music.

Struggling a bit for a 5th.  Still keep up to date with modern releases but no decade particularly stands out

My fav period was 77-82 so not sure I can choose decades although on my sat radio I have the 50s channel on a lot and I am constantly amazed at how many good songs came out then.

i think the last few years have been amazing for music, you just don't hear anything on commercial radio.

On 29/06/2020 at 13:22, tamthebam said:

"top 5 decades for MUSIC"

This is very pop biased.

What about the classics or jazz?

1790s, 1840s, 1910s, 1930s and 1970s.  So there.

Agreed, the 80s which gave us some of Mozart’s finest works or the 80s which gave us Bananarama? You do the math(s).

On 29/06/2020 at 13:22, tamthebam said:

"top 5 decades for MUSIC"

This is very pop biased.

What about the classics or jazz?

1790s, 1840s, 1910s, 1930s and 1970s.  So there.

I very much appreciate the musicianship involved, but I'm personally not a great fan of jazz or classical music.

Having said that, there were some great jazz-rock fusion records made in the 60s and 70s.

Late 50s were great for really influential rock and roll records, and some groundbreaking jazz records - there's a great documentary called '1959 - the year that changed jazz' - here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKYa3wwc1SU&list=RDPKYa3wwc1SU&start_radio=1&t=12

We also shouldn't forget blues.