Serious incident in Glasgow

Actually, you’re wrong. My cousin is a responder and regretfully informed me that it is part of their training. 
If I leave aside my initial reaction to that, and put the devils advocate hat on, I am not actually sure I have a huge problem with that. I have called 999 once for a person who took ill so not a fast paced emergency with lives at stake... The amount of information that they wanted off me beyond "this lads keeled over, heres where to send help" kind of blew me away. They absolutely grilled me.

As information gatherers, I dont think I have an issue with it.

I would have an issue with the trigger finger being adjusted based on it, but I dont think have issue with the extraction of every bit of information available to pass on.

12 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

If I leave aside my initial reaction to that, and put the devils advocate hat on, I am not actually sure I have a huge problem with that. I have called 999 once for a person who took ill so not a fast paced emergency with lives at stake... The amount of information that they wanted off me beyond "this lads keeled over, heres where to send help" kind of blew me away. They absolutely grilled me.

As information gatherers, I dont think I have an issue with it.

I would have an issue with the trigger finger being adjusted based on it, but I dont think have issue with the extraction of every bit of information available to pass on.

Got to agree with the above I think. If the police are looking for a suspect who’s armed and attempting to murder people, any information that would help narrow down who they are looking for should be requested. As you say, if that then influences how they tackle something then it’s obviously a disgrace, but the information request isn’t.

41 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

In this day and age, someone indiscriminately knifing folk in a city centre is getting shot. Theres no ifs or buts about it. Theres not enough info available to the police fast enough in that scenario for them to be sure there arent lots of lives at risk, be it through willingness to die for the cause, or in worst case, a suicide bomb.

I dont think all police should be armed, but I dont think theres a choice for the armed lads in this type of scene. Happy to be proved wrong as details emerge but unfortunately, one of the 'successes" of theis type of terrorism is that it puts people on edge because it can happen anywhere with no notice. No police force are going to try and talk that situation down anymore.

ETA of course the whole response must be fully investigated but if the Police thought he was going to get even one more dig at a victim he had already hit or get to someone else then shooting him is ok with me. His life for an innocent bystander is a fair trade.

Looks like your mind is actually made up about what this was. 

And presumably, your bit about     ' course, there has to be an investigation....'    is just a window dressing to make you sound good.

5 minutes ago, beefybake said:

Looks like your mind is actually made up about what this was. 

And presumably, your bit about     ' course, there has to be an investigation....'    is just a window dressing to make you sound good.

No, I don't think thats how that post reads at all. The success of terrorists who have perpetrated this kind of terror attack is that it influences the day to day lives, fears and then responses of people. What happened with this incident is likely to have been hugely influenced by the absolute fear now instilled in this country by previous attacks of this nature. That's what they are going for. This one appears to show it has worked. The police have had to change the way they respond because of the very real fear we have as a society. 

Well done on blatantly missing my point. I quite clearly have not speculated on the motives of this attacker  I have only correctly pointed out that knife spree attacks are a fairly new and effective technique for terrorists. 

Edited by Bairnardo

I stand corrected then, that is shocking.
If armed police are being sent to an incident to tackle a knife carrying bad guy it's pretty important that they know exactly who they are looking for and what he looks like. Clothing and ethnicity are crucial descriptors. So asking about the suspect's race/colour is probably not as shocking as you may think.

5 minutes ago, energyzone said:
52 minutes ago, Perkin Flump said:
I stand corrected then, that is shocking.

If armed police are being sent to an incident to tackle a knife carrying bad guy it's pretty important that they know exactly who they are looking for and what he looks like. Clothing and ethnicity are crucial descriptors. So asking about the suspect's race/colour is probably not as shocking as you may think.

I am probably naive but I tend to concentrate on the mad knifeperson part, wouldn't really give a crap about their ethnicity.

1 hour ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

No mate, what’s happened is that the emergency call has gone in and the responder has asked the crucial question ‘what colour is the attacker?’. After learning that the attacker is, in fact, non-white, he has hit the ‘send armed response unit’ button as opposed to the ‘send social services’ one. It’s clear as day. ACAB

I can't tell whether this is satire or not, anymore.

3 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

Probably also gives them an out if someone dies as well.
Big boy told me to do it.
Not saying they shouldn't have shot him dead better that than him stabbing someone else.

Tbf you can drastically reduce your chances of being shot dead by the police by just not stabbing f**k out of people...

I am probably naive but I tend to concentrate on the mad knifeperson part, wouldn't really give a crap about their ethnicity.
I think that is naive. You'd want to know everything you can about him - height, build, clothing, colour, so that you can be sure you have the right person when the confrontation arrives. If he's disposed of, or hidden the knife within his clothing for example, then all those descriptors are vital. You can't rely on him swinging the blade around when you arrive for identification.

4 hours ago, Joe Terrapin said:

I was just going by the copper on the telly who said it’s the first time someone had been shot dead by the police on the streets of Scotland. 

28 minutes ago, Ross. said:

There was a few questions asked the Clydebank story at the time. Like was the guy surrendering and the cops shot him anyway.

Edited by Tutankhamen
Eff the SFA

5 minutes ago, energyzone said:
17 minutes ago, Perkin Flump said:

I think that is naive. You'd want to know everything you can about him - height, build, clothing, colour, so that you can be sure you have the right person when the confrontation arrives. If he's disposed of, or hidden the knife within his clothing for example, then all those descriptors are vital. You can't rely on him swinging the blade around when you arrive for identification.

Now I think about it, that is correct, every time we have a robbery we always rely on immediate identifiers, bit thick of me, I blame the vodka. I was just concentrating on the negative connotations

5 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

I was just going by the copper on the telly who said it’s the first time someone had been shot dead by the police on the streets of Scotland. 

Kay Street shoot out in the 1960s were the detective shot the suspect dead through the letter box.

Edited by Tutankhamen
Eff the SFA