Anonymity online / doxxing

8 hours ago, RH33 said:

I do like to doxy....

Don’t encourage Bert FFS.

8 hours ago, welshbairn said:

You're about the only person on here I could doxx, apart from @Melanius Mullarkey. You don't want to know what green trousers and mushroom suppers really mean in the deviant Dundee concrete community.

It’s a niche market tbf.

On another board where I'd only been a member for a few weeks there was a thread about football. It was about a year after Rangers died and there were two guys in there adamant that they hadn't - well, you know the script. Anyway, I was gently taking the pish, as you do but being new to the board I wasn't really pushing it. Then I get a PM from one of them naming me, my wife, my address and other details about me. Clearly he knew me and he made various threats about what would happen if I didn't stop slagging his dead club.

It's really not a nice feeling. If I'd known who he was too it might not be so bad but knowing there's an anonymous weirdo stalking you isn't good.

Anyway, I reported it to the site Mods and he was banned instantly. His pal disappeared a few days later.

9 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

A moderator on dafc.net (supposed unofficial dunfermline forum) exposed my name without consent and goaded me into having a go about it during the admin era.
I posted something up about us overspending and it not being a good idea, well reasoned and not abusive.
He edited it to look like I had went mental for no reason, even editing what I said.
Was also banned for life as a result.

Guy is a supposed superfan and is still involved with the club volunteering. Walked past him once a few years later and was tempted to have a go but he was with family so didnt bother. Reckon they did it with others. They also supported a group of fans abuse and attack an pensioner who would later go on and raise thousands for the club depsite being really unwell.
Still disturbs me that theres a few of these p***ks hovering around the club.

Not a huge deal but I didnt like the exposure, I'm pretty sure if I'd captured some screens and went onto social media they would have been ruined.
To the last minute they were denying the truth and backing our board so they could keep their wee roles and get free tickets etc.
Super fans ma arse

Absolute scumbags. They've done similar shit to a lot of people. That Brian needs a good punch to his dickhead face and his wee moron moderator clique need a kick to the genitals.

They take their moderator roles astonishingly seriously.

11 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Have any P&Bers ever been doxxed?

Have any P&Bers doxxed anyone?

Waffenthinmint for both, which I assume tells you everything you need to know about the people involved in doxxing.

11 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

A moderator on dafc.net (supposed unofficial dunfermline forum) exposed my name without consent and goaded me into having a go about it during the admin era.
I posted something up about us overspending and it not being a good idea, well reasoned and not abusive.
He edited it to look like I had went mental for no reason, even editing what I said.
Was also banned for life as a result.

Guy is a supposed superfan and is still involved with the club volunteering. Walked past him once a few years later and was tempted to have a go but he was with family so didnt bother. Reckon they did it with others. They also supported a group of fans abuse and attack an pensioner who would later go on and raise thousands for the club depsite being really unwell.
Still disturbs me that theres a few of these p***ks hovering around the club.

Not a huge deal but I didnt like the exposure, I'm pretty sure if I'd captured some screens and went onto social media they would have been ruined.
To the last minute they were denying the truth and backing our board so they could keep their wee roles and get free tickets etc.
Super fans ma arse

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Absolute scumbags. They've done similar shit to a lot of people. That Brian needs a good punch to his dickhead face and his wee moron moderator clique need a kick to the genitals.

They take their moderator roles astonishingly seriously.

Didn't a former administrator get done for turning up at someone's door threatening to kill them? 

12 hours ago, ICTChris said:

A blog I like has been deleted because of a threat to the bloggers anonymity. “Scott Alexander” blogs at Slate Star Codex, part of what is called the rationalist community. The blog is popular with tech types and features discussion of a wide variety of topics. The blogger is a practicing doctor (psychiatrist) and because of this tries to keep himself anonymous. The New York Times contacted him regarding a piece on the blog and during the conversation said they’d be naming him, he didn’t want to be named so he deleted the blog.

Here is his account - https://slatestarcodex.com

Leaving aside the details of this case, do P&Bers think online anonymity is desirable or not? Obviously it’s possible to post anonymously on here but you can find out who most people are. I’ve heard a lot of people claim that anonymity online fuels abuse as but at the same time it allows people a space to express themselves in a way they might not do if their profile was public.

Have any P&Bers ever been doxxed?

Have any P&Bers doxxed anyone?

The justification they offered seems like utter bollocks tbh, although tbf I have spent my life as a fan of Scottish football, seeing stories reported and attributed to unnamed "sources close to the club".

When I expressed these fears to the reporter, he said that it was New York Times policy to include real names, and he couldn’t change that.

Waffenthinmint for both, which I assume tells you everything you need to know about the people involved in doxxing.

I think it was WaffenThinInt who worked out which university one poster attended, found the timetable for his course online and replied to his posts saying “shouldn’t you be getting to your seminar by now” and stuff like that.

Just now, ICTChris said:

I think it was WaffenThinInt who worked out which university one poster attended, found the timetable for his course online and replied to his posts saying “shouldn’t you be getting to your seminar by now” and stuff like that.

I think he found the specific exam they were taking that day and used it as evidence in some crusade against them. Terrifying behaviour.

1 minute ago, ICTChris said:

Think that was virginton. He worked out the travelling time compared to his posting times in a bid to prove he wasn't on the course. Genuinely wouldn't have been a surprise if he'd contacted the lecturers to find out if there was a toothless mature student from Greenock in any of the classes.

Can't remember who tied WaffenThinMint back to some Sims forum, where he'd been banned for being a creepy weirdo, but he really didn't like getting the same treatment. Disappeared from here almost immediately. But he lives on in our private nightmares, and possibly in our wardrobes, waiting for us to go to sleep.

1 minute ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Think that was virginton. He worked out the travelling time compared to his posting times in a bid to prove he wasn't on the course. Genuinely wouldn't have been a surprise if he'd contacted the lecturers to find out if there was a toothless mature student from Greenock in any of the classes.

Can't remember who tied WaffenThinMint back to some Sims forum, where he'd been banned for being a creepy weirdo, but he really didn't like getting the same treatment. Disappeared from here almost immediately. But he lives on in our private nightmares, and possibly in our wardrobes, waiting for us to go to sleep.

The puddle drinking shitgibbon!

19 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I can't remember who it was, but someone used train times from Greenock, exam timetables and the walking distance from exam venue to a university computer in the library to "work out" that VT was lying about being at university. Halcyon days.

22 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Pretty sure it was him who tracked down @Bobby Skidmarks and contacted his boss. @8MileBU should know.

8 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

At least nobody on P&B has ever used their job at the airport to get flight manifests and stalk other posters.

That was mental and I still can't quite believe that actually happened.

L4L text me about 10 year ago to ask if I was partaking in a game being hosted on P&B. To this day, I still don't know how the puddle drinker got my number. Creepy nonetheless.