8 hours ago, clash city rocker said:

In fairness to Bankies plastic might just aboot be a tad better than the grass pitch yous had...a wee bit safer and softer.

How very dare you 😒 ... Holm Park pitch had come on leaps and bounds. Its used 7 days a week now though and that couldn't have happened previously . 

In fairness to Bankies plastic might just aboot be a tad better than the grass pitch yous had...a wee bit safer and softer.
Stookie worked hard on our grass pitch in i thought it was 1 of the best in the league considering 2 teams played on it. The grass pitch at the vale is lovely tbh

Mon the papers.

On 15/09/2020 at 12:08, LongTimeLurker said:

The idea of a vaccine arriving to save the day was mainly being used in the first half of the year to give people the idea that they could somehow stay safe and would be able to avoid being exposed to the virus as that helped them from a mental health sort of angle. Anyone who understood how exponential curves work when an R0 number is well above 1 knew better, so the explanation they got for the lockdown was that the active infection numbers curve had to be flattened so ICU capacity wasn't completely overwhelmed when the first wave hit its peak. As it turned out it wasn't and the peak on fatalities was about an order of magnitude lower than originally feared.

Despite all the recent media hysteria the number of daily deaths is still a flat line close to zero, so the "second wave" is mainly a result of a lot more testing being done now on mild cases than was the case back in April. There is nothing inevitable about not having a season at WoS sort of level in other words, because the pandemic is now most likely largely over in a UK context and most people have already had their chance to play Russian roulette with it. In most cases that will be unknowingly because they were asymptomatic or had some sort of cross-immunity from earlier coronavirus infections.

The politicians still need the "second wave" to start going down now before lifting more restrictions though because a large chunk of the population doesn't understand any of that and still thinks vaccines are important in all of this because they don't realise the horse has long since galloped away for most people in terms of being exposed to the virus meaning there would be little to be gained now by bolting the stable door with a jag in the upper arm.

So how did all your theories pan out?

8 hours ago, passbackdave said:

Stookie worked hard on our grass pitch in i thought it was 1 of the best in the league considering 2 teams played on it. The grass pitch at the vale is lovely tbh

Mon the papers.

Easy to have a great pitch when there’s nae fitba played on it. Not that this is the first season...... Kiddin’ !

11 hours ago, tell_me_more said:

So how did all your theories pan out?

Vaccines arriving on the scene that actually worked at Phase 3 was extremely good news even if a large chunk of the population already got their chance to play Russian roulette with the virus in the first half of the year.

There is even less excuse not to have a season now as much more effective herd immunity can be rapidly built up that way once more than just Pfizer is available. At that point the media and politicians won't go into hysterics again over relatively minor secondary infection waves when society tries to open up as it will be much less likely for R0 to rise above 1 in a sustained national rather than temporary localised manner.

MHRA has the full data set from OxfordAZ now so approval may come as soon as Monday setting us on a trajectory towards full normality:

Edited by LongTimeLurker

You were heavily on the side that the virus would be over by November at one time were you not due to the large chunk of the population being exposed tothe virus earlier in the year? That disn't pan out too well unfortunately.

On the contrary rather than playing out a pointless season which will be over before the players are anywhere near to gtting vaccinated and with the new more virulent strains I would close it today at lower levels help stop the spread throughout the wider more vulnerable community.

30 minutes ago, tell_me_more said:

You were heavily on the side that the virus would be over by November at one time were you not ...

January was a more realistic starting date than October was my posture as far back as August because I knew there was going to be an apparent "second wave" when the economy was opened up. The new and probably more contagious variant they are talking about on the news is a legitimate second wave that would need significantly more infections to happen in the absence of a vaccine before herd immunity starts to kick in naturally when R0 dips below 1. I didn't see that one coming as all the indications had been that there was a low mutation rate.

What we had previously was just the delayed tail end of the first wave when opening up the economy again meant more infections were going to be needed to achieve herd immunity again as people got out and about more creating more scope for transmission. The more lockdown measures imposed by the politicians the longer things were going to be dragged out on that, which is why I suspected it would take until at least January before Nicola S would be comfortable on letting crowds in given how cautious she has been. It was starting to happen in some areas before the new variant kicked in with Kello Rovers already OK that way given they are based in D&G.

Given it is only a new variant in the SE of England rather than a new strain there are unlikely to be issues with vaccine efficacy at this stage, so still looking good for a reasonably rapid trajectory towards normality if OxfordAZ gets the nod on Monday.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

All dependent on the supply of the vaccine and efficiency of the process, Few vacancies getting advertised for positions within the mass vaccination programme so presume the Oxford one is getting passed ok. Add in the 6 weeks / 2 months whatever for the double dosage to kick in properly. The current rate is about 250k per week UK wide getting first dosage and with Approx 25 million to receive it shows the mountain of folk to get through. Good luck to them. 

Heard the new variant is being found around Europe now, rather than an assault on the Cockney sort. The Contagion thing on CNN is interesting viewing. Even with enough vaccines Inthe freezer, gonna take months for a double dose to be administered in the UK. Does everyone think fans will get back in this season ?  Am growing more pessimistic myself. 

4 hours ago, Andy groundhopper said:

Heard the new variant is being found around Europe now, rather than an assault on the Cockney sort. The Contagion thing on CNN is interesting viewing. Even with enough vaccines Inthe freezer, gonna take months for a double dose to be administered in the UK. Does everyone think fans will get back in this season ?  Am growing more pessimistic myself. 

Who can tell? I expect things will get worse over the next couple of months before they gradually start getting better - I'd like to think we'd be able to admit home ST holders at the very least before the end of the current season providing a club is able to prove it's taking all necessary protocols and that they're able to provide contact details for everyone present for the purposes of T,T&T.

If you're talking specifically about the groundhopping side of things...being able to pick a random game anywhere in the country and attend it with no prior arrangement or contact with the home club, my gut feeling is we'll be looking at next season before that's feasible...maybe even a fair bit into it.

I really doubt there will be fans back at games this season. Realistically there’s five and a bit months to go and the rate of infection is heading upwards. Given that is my thought I’d like to pose a question. There is now an ever increasing number of positive tests among lower league teams UK wide, causing fixture backlogs and other logistical problems. Given at this level players also work and as a result are likely to be at an increased level of infection is there a point when the league bosses will need to say enough is enough? In balance COVID hasn’t been a major reason for games off here but I think it will be in the very near future hence why I thought I’d ask people’s opinions.

Good things will start to ramp up very quickly on vaccination from Jan 4th if the MHRA approves the Oxford vaccine for emergency use. Fingers crossed on that as it is supposed to happen this week after all the data needed was handed in just before Christmas.

Wee Nick is telling us to be more or less hermits over the festive's while bangers are travelling around the West playing football in front of no fans. What the feck has this world come to.

One of these things would be happening indoors and is high risk in transmission terms, while the other happens outdoors and is very low risk if regulations are followed properly.

13 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

One of these things would be happening indoors and is high risk in transmission terms, while the other happens outdoors and is very low risk if regulations are followed properly.

I think I would rather take my chance with my family than 50 folk who I know nothing about.

Load of shite. Semi-Pro has slipped under the radar. A new virus, the NHS on its knees, cases peaking above the first wave. It's about time the football fraternity took the law into their own hands and shut up shop.

18 minutes ago, Blackie Gold said:

Load of shite. Semi-Pro has slipped under the radar. A new virus, the NHS on its knees, cases peaking above the first wave. It's about time the football fraternity took the law into their own hands and shut up shop.

If the SFA had to argue to get the non-leagues recognised as professional. Then they certainly didn't slip under the radar.

The semi-pro leagues were all represented at the meeting with the Scottish Government, Sport Scotland and the Scottish FA which decided who would be allowed to play. They hardly slipped under the radar.

You are entitled to your opinion and to make that opinion known, but until the scientists and the authorities say we shouldn't play then we'll carry on. They know what they're talking about after all.