Jump to content

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Dev said:

In Wales the £750k isn't being talked about as though it is a loan so, hopefully, no repayments! I have read that it is to be divided up between the 44 clubs in the National, North and South Divisions. Guessing that the National clubs will receive more than the next level down.

Seeing that LTL on another thread has been doing some digging around and it does look as though the SG is already geared up to get significant numbers of vaccinations done quickly so perhaps by the end of January or February it may a question of back to normal for outdoor activities including football and watching football. This should give enough certainty for leagues to arrange matches for the rest of the season, even if it means some restructuring of divisions into sub-divisions with play-offs.

There is hope yet!

What is this sub divisions nonsense you speak of?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
In Wales the £750k isn't being talked about as though it is a loan so, hopefully, no repayments! I have read that it is to be divided up between the 44 clubs in the National, North and South Divisions. Guessing that the National clubs will receive more than the next level down.
Seeing that LTL on another thread has been doing some digging around and it does look as though the SG is already geared up to get significant numbers of vaccinations done quickly so perhaps by the end of January or February it may a question of back to normal for outdoor activities including football and watching football. This should give enough certainty for leagues to arrange matches for the rest of the season, even if it means some restructuring of divisions into sub-divisions with play-offs.
There is hope yet!


Pretty sure you are talking about 2 different things. The money for the Welsh teams is from the National
lottery and the money or loans in England are from the UK Gov as part of wider money to sport in England and targeted at below the Football League due to the ongoing discussions with the PL to find them. The SG could get consequentials out of it for it but it depends on how the UK Gov term it as they have not given consequentials for other things funded in England through a technicality very recently.

The Big Lottery in Scotland have apparently given the money to sports in Scotland (I am sure that I read it somewhere) and the SFA are looking how to distribute it which will hopefully lead to some funding for clubs soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Arthurlie1981 said:

 


Pretty sure you are talking about 2 different things. The money for the Welsh teams is from the National
lottery and the money or loans in England are from the UK Gov as part of wider money to sport in England and targeted at below the Football League due to the ongoing discussions with the PL to find them. The SG could get consequentials out of it for it but it depends on how the UK Gov term it as they have not given consequentials for other things funded in England through a technicality very recently.

The Big Lottery in Scotland have apparently given the money to sports in Scotland (I am sure that I read it somewhere) and the SFA are looking how to distribute it which will hopefully lead to some funding for clubs soon.

 

Clearly the English Prem were working in liaison with the EFL and the UK Government and have been in negotiations for many weeks as a number of the EFL clubs were getting desperate for aid from the Premier League. The Premier League tried to use the negotiations to twist the arm of the EFL and the weaker clubs in the Premier League to make the stronger clubs even stronger but that didn't work.

However, the tens of millions now being made available in England is for the National League (Step 1) down to Step 6 leagues so not the deal which you have in mind. It's the National Lottery money as it is for Scotland, NI and Wales.

Money you refer to was received by the SFA in the summer and it was allocated for needy clubs etc then but this is not the same thing as at present.

Time will tell if we're talking about different things but that is not how it was presented in the article which I quoted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, holmparkheroes said:

Roll on the vaccinations, it’s hurting me as a lifelong Bankie to be saying ‘mon the jags!’

Doubt crowds will back before Easter at the earliest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Clearly the English Prem were working in liaison with the EFL and the UK Government and have been in negotiations for many weeks as a number of the EFL clubs were getting desperate for aid from the Premier League. The Premier League tried to use the negotiations to twist the arm of the EFL and the weaker clubs in the Premier League to make the stronger clubs even stronger but that didn't work.
However, the tens of millions now being made available in England is for the National League (Step 1) down to Step 6 leagues so not the deal which you have in mind. It's the National Lottery money as it is for Scotland, NI and Wales.
Money you refer to was received by the SFA in the summer and it was allocated for needy clubs etc then but this is not the same thing as at present.
Time will tell if we're talking about different things but that is not how it was presented in the article which I quoted.


Here is the UK Government’s announcement last week. It is not the lottery money and is mainly made up of loans https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-announces-300-million-sport-winter-survival-package-to-help-spectator-sports-in-england

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tutankhamen said:

Doubt crowds will back before Easter at the earliest.

Agree T, weeks 1-3 can only be at 50 % capacity as  the ones vaccinated then will get their  second jab weeks 4-6 alongside those getting their first, it’ll take a fair bit of time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/11/2020 at 15:58, Dev said:

Following on from the announcement of funding support for semi-pro clubs in England today it has been announced that £750,000 of National Lottery funds is going to the 44 clubs in the Welsh Cymru League.

“The financial package – established by the FAW and The National Lottery and facilitated by the UK Government – will see clubs in the JD Cymru Premier, JD Cymru North and the JD Cymru South receive funding while matches continue to be played behind closed doors, owing to the current COVID-19 restrictions. “

“Nigel Railton, Chief Executive of National Lottery operator Camelot, said, “The National Lottery and its players have been making a massive difference to communities across the UK for the past 26 years, so we’re thrilled to be able to partner with the Football Association of Wales to provide vital funding for these incredibly important clubs in the Cymru Leagues. As a huge football fan myself, I know what this will mean to fans of these community clubs, and I’m sure they’ll be pleased to hear that their clubs are getting the support they need.” 

The partnership follows a similar National Lottery initiative between the FA and National League in England, which was facilitated by the UK government. Work continues on partnerships with the Scottish and Northern Ireland FAs. 

Maybe Mr Railton's words will carry some weight so that Community based clubs will see benefits rather than e.g. those in the SPFL Premier? That could make it very awkward for some at the SFA who are considered to be oriented in favour of the biggest clubs.

The partnership follows a similar National Lottery initiative between the FA and National League in England, which was facilitated by the UK government. Work continues on partnerships with the Scottish and Northern Ireland FAs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, holmparkheroes said:

Agree T, weeks 1-3 can only be at 50 % capacity as  the ones vaccinated then will get their  second jab weeks 4-6 alongside those getting their first, it’ll take a fair bit of time. 

Haha. That's possibly the most optimistic post ever on here. Good on ye pal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oxford vaccine not quite as effective as Moderna and Pfizer but should still get approved OK even if only 70% effective (changing the dosing might get it up to 90% by the sounds of things):

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-55040635

so should be all systems go for the UK's vaccination programme by mid-December.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jimbaxters said:

Haha. That's possibly the most optimistic post ever on here. Good on ye pal. 

Just being a realist Jim, 50 odd years of supporting the Bankies has taught me that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Oxford vaccine not quite as effective as Moderna and Pfizer but should still get approved OK even if only 70% effective (changing the dosing might get it up to 90% by the sounds of things):

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-55040635

so should be all systems go for the UK's vaccination programme by mid-December.

 

Again, I love your optimism. These figures are a bit misleading. The Pfizer-BioNtech study for example had a very small number of people who actually contracted the virus, even among those not vaccinated. Doesn't correlate with the general figures. Hopefully, the governments involved fully analyse what's being said.

Edited by jimbaxters

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Again, I love your optimism. These figures are a bit misleading. The Pfizer-BioNtech study for example had a very small number of people who actually contracted the virus, even among those not vaccinated. Doesn't correlate with the general figures. Hopefully, the governments involved fully analyse what's being said.

The reason there were very few people actually contracting the virus is because wait for it relatively few people are actually contracting the virus at the moment when viewed in percentage of the population terms. 50% in the test group receive the vaccine, while 50% receive a placebo. The hold up at the Phase 3 trial stage for the Pfizer, Moderna and Oxford vaccines has been waiting for enough cases to build up in the placebo group to have statistically valid evidence that the much lower numbers in the vaccine group prove the vaccine has been effective. Anything over 50% efficacy would be enough to justify emergency approval, so the numbers that are being found in the Phase 3 trials should be enough to trigger the emergency approvals and get vaccination programmes underway by the middle of December.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

The reason there were very few people actually contracting the virus is because wait for it relatively few people are actually contracting the virus at the moment when viewed in percentage of the population terms. 50% in the test group receive the vaccine, while 50% receive a placebo. The hold up at the Phase 3 trial stage for the Pfizer, Moderna and Oxford vaccines has been waiting for enough cases to build up in the placebo group to have statistically valid evidence that the much lower numbers in the vaccine group prove the vaccine has been effective. Anything over 50% efficacy would be enough to justify emergency approval, so the numbers that are being found in the Phase 3 trials should be enough to trigger the emergency approvals and get vaccination programmes underway by the middle of December.

That's what I was referring to. The percentages were way less than the general figures. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Oxford vaccine not quite as effective as Moderna and Pfizer but should still get approved OK even if only 70% effective (changing the dosing might get it up to 90% by the sounds of things):

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-55040635

so should be all systems go for the UK's vaccination programme by mid-December.

 

It's disappointing that it will need two jabs of the Oxford/Astrazeneca vaccine to reach 90% as one jab would have speeded up the rate of getting people protected. Still 90% from two jabs is very similar to the Pfizer and Moderna vaccine results and they have serious practical issues over storage which don't seem to have been overcome, yet.

The "no problems" with storing the O/A vaccine is a huge asset as a fridge will do the job. This means the vaccine can get to everyone as quickly as it is possible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

That's what I was referring to. The percentages were way less than the general figures. 

Thankfully everyone who has clicked onto the link about the Oxford/Astrazeneca vaccine announcement will appreciate your sense of humour and take your comment with a pinch of salt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Dev said:

...The "no problems" with storing the O/A vaccine is a huge asset as a fridge will do the job...

Especially in the third world. The technology to deal with the other vaccines by shipping with dry ice is very much available in developed countries, so it's more a nuisance factor on ramping things up than anything else. I suspect they will use the expensive Pfizer vaccine on only the highest risk groups and the Oxford vaccine will do the heavy lifting on overall numbers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Especially in the third world. The technology to deal with the other vaccines by shipping with dry ice is very much available in developed countries, so it's more a nuisance factor on ramping things up than anything else. I suspect they will use the expensive Pfizer vaccine on only the highest risk groups and the Oxford vaccine will do the heavy lifting on overall numbers.

Cost as well with the Ocford Astra Zenica vaccine being significantly cheaper and supposedly being made under not for profit. The UK will use up the Pfizer vaccines they have preordered but unless it shows significant advantage amongst certain people there should't be a need to go back for more.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Darvel away to Cumbernauld on Saturday, have enjoyed the visits there over the past few years, great facilities for adults and the kids have a great time on the 5 a side pitches, a big miss on the away day calendar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ceejayar said:

Darvel away to Cumbernauld on Saturday, have enjoyed the visits there over the past few years, great facilities for adults and the kids have a great time on the 5 a side pitches, a big miss on the away day calendar.

Thanks for a bit of football. Thought I was reading the Lancet☺

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...