On 20/11/2020 at 15:58, Dev said:

Following on from the announcement of funding support for semi-pro clubs in England today it has been announced that £750,000 of National Lottery funds is going to the 44 clubs in the Welsh Cymru League.

“The financial package – established by the FAW and The National Lottery and facilitated by the UK Government – will see clubs in the JD Cymru Premier, JD Cymru North and the JD Cymru South receive funding while matches continue to be played behind closed doors, owing to the current COVID-19 restrictions. “

“Nigel Railton, Chief Executive of National Lottery operator Camelot, said, “The National Lottery and its players have been making a massive difference to communities across the UK for the past 26 years, so we’re thrilled to be able to partner with the Football Association of Wales to provide vital funding for these incredibly important clubs in the Cymru Leagues. As a huge football fan myself, I know what this will mean to fans of these community clubs, and I’m sure they’ll be pleased to hear that their clubs are getting the support they need.” 

The partnership follows a similar National Lottery initiative between the FA and National League in England, which was facilitated by the UK government. Work continues on partnerships with the Scottish and Northern Ireland FAs. 

Maybe Mr Railton's words will carry some weight so that Community based clubs will see benefits rather than e.g. those in the SPFL Premier? That could make it very awkward for some at the SFA who are considered to be oriented in favour of the biggest clubs.

The partnership follows a similar National Lottery initiative between the FA and National League in England, which was facilitated by the UK government. Work continues on partnerships with the Scottish and Northern Ireland FAs. 

8 hours ago, holmparkheroes said:

Agree T, weeks 1-3 can only be at 50 % capacity as  the ones vaccinated then will get their  second jab weeks 4-6 alongside those getting their first, it’ll take a fair bit of time. 

Haha. That's possibly the most optimistic post ever on here. Good on ye pal. 

Oxford vaccine not quite as effective as Moderna and Pfizer but should still get approved OK even if only 70% effective (changing the dosing might get it up to 90% by the sounds of things):

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-55040635

so should be all systems go for the UK's vaccination programme by mid-December.

40 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Oxford vaccine not quite as effective as Moderna and Pfizer but should still get approved OK even if only 70% effective (changing the dosing might get it up to 90% by the sounds of things):

Again, I love your optimism. These figures are a bit misleading. The Pfizer-BioNtech study for example had a very small number of people who actually contracted the virus, even among those not vaccinated. Doesn't correlate with the general figures. Hopefully, the governments involved fully analyse what's being said.

Edited by jimbaxters

48 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Again, I love your optimism. These figures are a bit misleading. The Pfizer-BioNtech study for example had a very small number of people who actually contracted the virus, even among those not vaccinated. Doesn't correlate with the general figures. Hopefully, the governments involved fully analyse what's being said.

The reason there were very few people actually contracting the virus is because wait for it relatively few people are actually contracting the virus at the moment when viewed in percentage of the population terms. 50% in the test group receive the vaccine, while 50% receive a placebo. The hold up at the Phase 3 trial stage for the Pfizer, Moderna and Oxford vaccines has been waiting for enough cases to build up in the placebo group to have statistically valid evidence that the much lower numbers in the vaccine group prove the vaccine has been effective. Anything over 50% efficacy would be enough to justify emergency approval, so the numbers that are being found in the Phase 3 trials should be enough to trigger the emergency approvals and get vaccination programmes underway by the middle of December.

36 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

The reason there were very few people actually contracting the virus is because wait for it relatively few people are actually contracting the virus at the moment when viewed in percentage of the population terms. 50% in the test group receive the vaccine, while 50% receive a placebo. The hold up at the Phase 3 trial stage for the Pfizer, Moderna and Oxford vaccines has been waiting for enough cases to build up in the placebo group to have statistically valid evidence that the much lower numbers in the vaccine group prove the vaccine has been effective. Anything over 50% efficacy would be enough to justify emergency approval, so the numbers that are being found in the Phase 3 trials should be enough to trigger the emergency approvals and get vaccination programmes underway by the middle of December.

That's what I was referring to. The percentages were way less than the general figures. 

2 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

It's disappointing that it will need two jabs of the Oxford/Astrazeneca vaccine to reach 90% as one jab would have speeded up the rate of getting people protected. Still 90% from two jabs is very similar to the Pfizer and Moderna vaccine results and they have serious practical issues over storage which don't seem to have been overcome, yet.

The "no problems" with storing the O/A vaccine is a huge asset as a fridge will do the job. This means the vaccine can get to everyone as quickly as it is possible. 

13 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

That's what I was referring to. The percentages were way less than the general figures. 

Thankfully everyone who has clicked onto the link about the Oxford/Astrazeneca vaccine announcement will appreciate your sense of humour and take your comment with a pinch of salt.

25 minutes ago, Dev said:

...The "no problems" with storing the O/A vaccine is a huge asset as a fridge will do the job...

Especially in the third world. The technology to deal with the other vaccines by shipping with dry ice is very much available in developed countries, so it's more a nuisance factor on ramping things up than anything else. I suspect they will use the expensive Pfizer vaccine on only the highest risk groups and the Oxford vaccine will do the heavy lifting on overall numbers.

3 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Especially in the third world. The technology to deal with the other vaccines by shipping with dry ice is very much available in developed countries, so it's more a nuisance factor on ramping things up than anything else. I suspect they will use the expensive Pfizer vaccine on only the highest risk groups and the Oxford vaccine will do the heavy lifting on overall numbers.

Cost as well with the Ocford Astra Zenica vaccine being significantly cheaper and supposedly being made under not for profit. The UK will use up the Pfizer vaccines they have preordered but unless it shows significant advantage amongst certain people there should't be a need to go back for more.

5 hours ago, Ceejayar said:

Darvel away to Cumbernauld on Saturday, have enjoyed the visits there over the past few years, great facilities for adults and the kids have a great time on the 5 a side pitches, a big miss on the away day calendar.

Thanks for a bit of football. Thought I was reading the Lancet☺

13 hours ago, Ceejayar said:

Darvel away to Cumbernauld on Saturday, have enjoyed the visits there over the past few years, great facilities for adults and the kids have a great time on the 5 a side pitches, a big miss on the away day calendar.

Are they definitely away from home? I thought they'd struck a deal with the WoSFL to play at home every week? Worried about their phone batteries presumably.

12 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Are they definitely away from home? I thought they'd struck a deal with the WoSFL to play at home every week? Worried about their phone batteries presumably.

Scheduled to be away but must be debatable with Cumbernauld’s pitch historically not great with rain, in saying that our pitch won’t take much more . I did hear a rumour that they were thinking of playing elsewhere though for a few weeks to give the pitch a rest🤷🏻‍♂️

1 hour ago, Ceejayar said:

Scheduled to be away but must be debatable with Cumbernauld’s pitch historically not great with rain, in saying that our pitch won’t take much more . I did hear a rumour that they were thinking of playing elsewhere though for a few weeks to give the pitch a rest🤷🏻‍♂️

Probably move them to Glasgow, closer for all the playing squad 

1 hour ago, catakoom said:
On 24/11/2020 at 07:28, jimbaxters said:

And now you think you are Peter Kay.

The hypocrisy is looking out of me, aye.