14 hours ago, Andy groundhopper said:

Sounded like IF fans get tested, they maybe able to go back into stadiums - in England I think. Be interesting to see how any money is distributed among clubs - as the National League clubs are arguing like mad down south. Guess the only problems with loans & grants is 'how to pay it back ? ' Can't see much trickling down the leagues tbh.

Well in England there's £28 million allocated for the National League (Steps 1 and 2) plus £11 million to Steps 3 - 6 inclusive and none to the Premier League or the EFL.

I agree the issue will be Grant or Loan. Given what has happened/is still happening how do they expect clubs to repay any Loans? 

Why would the SG direct funds to the SPFL Premier? It would be understandable if maybe the Championship, Div 1 and 2 clubs benefitted in a way comparable to the National League in England with funds also allocated to the lower clubs (Lowland/Highland and Tiers 6 & 7 which are broadly comparable with Steps 3-6 in England.

23 hours ago, Arthurlie1981 said:

Your missing my point though which is that it might not be our politicians that have missed the trick its maybe England and Northern Ireland that have. We don’t know the evidence provided to governments say. Personally I think we should have the evidence and the government should treat people like adults and provide as much detail about why decisions are taken.

Sorry but we'll have to differ on that point. The evidence is there for all to see, every match day in England at levels below the EFL.

3 hours ago, Dev said:

...Why would the SG direct funds to the SPFL Premier?...

There's no way the SG will want the optics of giving taxpayer money to the Old Firm when they are getting Europa League money and still have most of the season ticket money they normally would have had. Difficult to see how you go about giving money to the rest of SPFL Premier, if you don't include the Old Firm. The problem is the SFA is so higher division SPFL orientated that the issue is more likely to be whether they push the nonleague professional angle as hard as they could/should. Looking good that there will be some support now though.

Following on from the announcement of funding support for semi-pro clubs in England today it has been announced that £750,000 of National Lottery funds is going to the 44 clubs in the Welsh Cymru League.

“The financial package – established by the FAW and The National Lottery and facilitated by the UK Government – will see clubs in the JD Cymru Premier, JD Cymru North and the JD Cymru South receive funding while matches continue to be played behind closed doors, owing to the current COVID-19 restrictions. “

“Nigel Railton, Chief Executive of National Lottery operator Camelot, said, “The National Lottery and its players have been making a massive difference to communities across the UK for the past 26 years, so we’re thrilled to be able to partner with the Football Association of Wales to provide vital funding for these incredibly important clubs in the Cymru Leagues. As a huge football fan myself, I know what this will mean to fans of these community clubs, and I’m sure they’ll be pleased to hear that their clubs are getting the support they need.” 

The partnership follows a similar National Lottery initiative between the FA and National League in England, which was facilitated by the UK government. Work continues on partnerships with the Scottish and Northern Ireland FAs. 

Maybe Mr Railton's words will carry some weight so that Community based clubs will see benefits rather than e.g. those in the SPFL Premier? That could make it very awkward for some at the SFA who are considered to be oriented in favour of the biggest clubs.

Edited by Dev

53 minutes ago, Dev said:

Following on from the announcement of funding support for semi-pro clubs in England today it has been announced that £750,000 of National Lottery funds is going to the 44 clubs in the Welsh Cymru League.

“The financial package – established by the FAW and The National Lottery and facilitated by the UK Government – will see clubs in the JD Cymru Premier, JD Cymru North and the JD Cymru South receive funding while matches continue to be played behind closed doors, owing to the current COVID-19 restrictions. “

“Nigel Railton, Chief Executive of National Lottery operator Camelot, said, “The National Lottery and its players have been making a massive difference to communities across the UK for the past 26 years, so we’re thrilled to be able to partner with the Football Association of Wales to provide vital funding for these incredibly important clubs in the Cymru Leagues. As a huge football fan myself, I know what this will mean to fans of these community clubs, and I’m sure they’ll be pleased to hear that their clubs are getting the support they need.” 

The partnership follows a similar National Lottery initiative between the FA and National League in England, which was facilitated by the UK government. Work continues on partnerships with the Scottish and Northern Ireland FAs. 

Maybe Mr Railton's words will carry some weight so that Community based clubs will see benefits rather than e.g. those in the SPFL Premier? That could make it very awkward for some at the SFA who are considered to be oriented in favour of the biggest clubs.

Suppose it will all depend on what they mean by "Community Clubs".

Motherwell for instance is probably the best example of a true "Community Club" in Scotland at the moment so would they benefit from any funding even although they are an SPFL team, or wouldl it be solely available for lower league teams.  Time will tell I  suppose.

5 minutes ago, santheman said:

Motherwell for instance is probably the best example of a true "Community Club" in Scotland at the moment so would they benefit from any funding even although they are an SPFL team, or wouldl it be solely available for lower league teams.  Time will tell I  suppose.

The Welsh money  went to their equivalent of the SPFL.

18 minutes ago, santheman said:

37392335_2011018315598983_85205150355947

24 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

I think that needs a little updating now that Wrexham has gone Hollywood.

:lol: Have to say that after 10 years of living down there with Cefn Druids as my local team and Wrexham as my big team, I think it's fucking glorious!

Edited by welshbairn

17 hours ago, santheman said:

It's good point. We shall see what happens.

It's surprising that the NI and Scottish FAs have taken longer to sort this out than the English and Welsh FAs. It doesn't help when clubs are needing help yesterday rather than tomorrow or the week after or even later.

17 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

The Welsh money  went to their equivalent of the SPFL.

....... which is the equivalent to the English National League at best or the Divisions 1 or 2 in Scotland in terms of financial turnover and playing standards?

Thought the Welsh North and South hadn't started at all, I maybe wrong of course. Guessing that the loans will be like the furlough £ - you ain't getting it back ! Hopefully  the games will continue to be played and IF the governments arms can be bent, maybe some fans can be back in January - with the hope/dream of finishing the season and keeping all clubs alive and well.

17 hours ago, Andy groundhopper said:

Thought the Welsh North and South hadn't started at all, I maybe wrong of course. Guessing that the loans will be like the furlough £ - you ain't getting it back ! Hopefully  the games will continue to be played and IF the governments arms can be bent, maybe some fans can be back in January - with the hope/dream of finishing the season and keeping all clubs alive and well.

In Wales the £750k isn't being talked about as though it is a loan so, hopefully, no repayments! I have read that it is to be divided up between the 44 clubs in the National, North and South Divisions. Guessing that the National clubs will receive more than the next level down.

Seeing that LTL on another thread has been doing some digging around and it does look as though the SG is already geared up to get significant numbers of vaccinations done quickly so perhaps by the end of January or February it may a question of back to normal for outdoor activities including football and watching football. This should give enough certainty for leagues to arrange matches for the rest of the season, even if it means some restructuring of divisions into sub-divisions with play-offs.

There is hope yet!

2 hours ago, Dev said:

In Wales the £750k isn't being talked about as though it is a loan so, hopefully, no repayments! I have read that it is to be divided up between the 44 clubs in the National, North and South Divisions. Guessing that the National clubs will receive more than the next level down.

Seeing that LTL on another thread has been doing some digging around and it does look as though the SG is already geared up to get significant numbers of vaccinations done quickly so perhaps by the end of January or February it may a question of back to normal for outdoor activities including football and watching football. This should give enough certainty for leagues to arrange matches for the rest of the season, even if it means some restructuring of divisions into sub-divisions with play-offs.

There is hope yet!

Play-offs for what ??? 

3 hours ago, Dev said:

There is hope yet!

What is this sub divisions nonsense you speak of?

There is hope yet!

Pretty sure you are talking about 2 different things. The money for the Welsh teams is from the National
lottery and the money or loans in England are from the UK Gov as part of wider money to sport in England and targeted at below the Football League due to the ongoing discussions with the PL to find them. The SG could get consequentials out of it for it but it depends on how the UK Gov term it as they have not given consequentials for other things funded in England through a technicality very recently.

The Big Lottery in Scotland have apparently given the money to sports in Scotland (I am sure that I read it somewhere) and the SFA are looking how to distribute it which will hopefully lead to some funding for clubs soon.

51 minutes ago, Arthurlie1981 said:

Pretty sure you are talking about 2 different things. The money for the Welsh teams is from the National
lottery and the money or loans in England are from the UK Gov as part of wider money to sport in England and targeted at below the Football League due to the ongoing discussions with the PL to find them. The SG could get consequentials out of it for it but it depends on how the UK Gov term it as they have not given consequentials for other things funded in England through a technicality very recently.

The Big Lottery in Scotland have apparently given the money to sports in Scotland (I am sure that I read it somewhere) and the SFA are looking how to distribute it which will hopefully lead to some funding for clubs soon.

Clearly the English Prem were working in liaison with the EFL and the UK Government and have been in negotiations for many weeks as a number of the EFL clubs were getting desperate for aid from the Premier League. The Premier League tried to use the negotiations to twist the arm of the EFL and the weaker clubs in the Premier League to make the stronger clubs even stronger but that didn't work.

However, the tens of millions now being made available in England is for the National League (Step 1) down to Step 6 leagues so not the deal which you have in mind. It's the National Lottery money as it is for Scotland, NI and Wales.

Money you refer to was received by the SFA in the summer and it was allocated for needy clubs etc then but this is not the same thing as at present.

Time will tell if we're talking about different things but that is not how it was presented in the article which I quoted.

Clearly the English Prem were working in liaison with the EFL and the UK Government and have been in negotiations for many weeks as a number of the EFL clubs were getting desperate for aid from the Premier League. The Premier League tried to use the negotiations to twist the arm of the EFL and the weaker clubs in the Premier League to make the stronger clubs even stronger but that didn't work.
However, the tens of millions now being made available in England is for the National League (Step 1) down to Step 6 leagues so not the deal which you have in mind. It's the National Lottery money as it is for Scotland, NI and Wales.
Money you refer to was received by the SFA in the summer and it was allocated for needy clubs etc then but this is not the same thing as at present.
Time will tell if we're talking about different things but that is not how it was presented in the article which I quoted.

Here is the UK Government’s announcement last week. It is not the lottery money and is mainly made up of loans https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-announces-300-million-sport-winter-survival-package-to-help-spectator-sports-in-england