3 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Some might. Some might not.

At this point most of those managers will have been around their players long enough to have a sense what the preferences are within their squad.

And therefore unless all 17 are of the view they can convince their players to play for nothing this is a pointless exercise to present as a collective view to pressure whoever needs pressuring. I would imagine sponsors will be reticent to sponsor clubs for things like ad boards when no one might see them, programme ads etc... lots of lost income beyond that on matchday. I just don't see how it adds up.

Edited by cmontheloknow

2 hours ago, gogsy said:

Aye what about the other managers that agree with them, good junior men up to end of last season. 😀Some nutters on here seem to be calling them a mob.

he talks nonsense about everyone but i can see why colin and chris want to start the season along with other managers but if they want to be a community club then surely the fans should be allowed in or its no really a community club ? these guys are wary , rightly so , of losing players to another grade of football and ive no doubt that will happen very soon and all their hard work over the last few months would be wasted , i sympathise with them but no fans means no league as far as i am concerned 

59 minutes ago, Darvel legend said:

he talks nonsense about everyone but i can see why colin and chris want to start the season along with other managers but if they want to be a community club then surely the fans should be allowed in or its no really a community club ? these guys are wary , rightly so , of losing players to another grade of football and ive no doubt that will happen very soon and all their hard work over the last few months would be wasted , i sympathise with them but no fans means no league as far as i am concerned 

What is this other grade of football?

AFAIK the only clubs which will be playing are the SPFL, HL and LL.  I can't see there being much demand for an influx of redundant Tier 6 players.

Edited by Stag Nation

1 minute ago, Stag Nation said:

What is this other grade of football?

AFAIK the only clubs which will be playing are the SPFL, HL and LL.  I can't see there being much demand for an influx of redundant Tier 6 players.

EoS / SoS plan to play too, circuit breaker apart.

Am I alone in thinking that it is a bad choice on offer to start the season on 24th knowing that there will be no relegation or promotion - if teams are allowed to drop out this season without any "punishment" then the teams who are ready to play are playing a season without hope of progress 

I believe the season should be delayed until guidance changes to allow fans etc then participation (even for a much shorter season) should be mandatory - so promotion and relegation at the end of what should be a "conference" season to establish what leagues club belong 

This seems unfair but at that point the clubs who cannot participate should be in bottom league in 21/22

We need something to play for and if fans have bought season tickets it should not be for a season of glorified friendlies 

9 minutes ago, Glass ceiling said:

Am I alone in thinking that it is a bad choice on offer to start the season on 24th knowing that there will be no relegation or promotion - if teams are allowed to drop out this season without any "punishment" then the teams who are ready to play are playing a season without hope of progress 

I believe the season should be delayed until guidance changes to allow fans etc then participation (even for a much shorter season) should be mandatory - so promotion and relegation at the end of what should be a "conference" season to establish what leagues club belong 

This seems unfair but at that point the clubs who cannot participate should be in bottom league in 21/22

We need something to play for and if fans have bought season tickets it should not be for a season of glorified friendlies 

nail on the head

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/kilsyth-rangers-take-west-scotland-22812400

Kilsyth Rangers are considering pulling out of the debut West of Scotland League season as fears grow over a further kick-off delay.

With pre-season underway and an October 24 start date pencilled in, a Scottish Government announcement yesterday has dealt a major blow to the planned kick-off.

First Minister Nicola Sturgeon unveiled a host of measures to stave off a second wave of Covid-19 cases, including a shutdown of all amateur contact indoor and outdoor sports between October 9 and October 25.

With The Wee Gers set to open their Conference C campaign against Drumchapel, secretary William Dunbar said it's a "non-goer" for the North Lanarkshire outfit.

Dunbar has urged clubs to call-off the debut of the new tier six and seven and prevent a doomsday scenario for clubs ahead of crunch talks between the league and SFA this afternoon.

He admits the Duncansfield Park side may be forced to pull-out if the season does start without fans and claims West of Scotland League chiefs have revealed teams would not be penalised if they make the decision mothball.

The chief also stated clubs were told no relegation or promotion would take place between the conferences and Premier Division this term adding "clubs will be putting themselves through hardship for nothing."

Dunbar told Lanarkshire Live Sport : "We had a meeting on Tuesday [with the West of Scotland League] with various options, and one of those options is already not there any more after the Scottish Governments announcement.

"That was an option to start within current restrictions, to pause and wait for fans to be back and restrictions to ease, or just scrap it and say lets come back next year.

"I think most clubs would love to go, but this just proves again that you make a plan and something else happens with Covid.

"We certainly can't exist without fans and we can hardly ask fans to sponsor us with boards at the grounds when they can't see it.

"With the changing room situation it's been a bit of a fiasco. For me I think it will be scrapped.

"They have said as well that if clubs decide not to go ahead there will be no penalty.

"If one club decides they won't go, we've been told there won't be any promotion or relegation anyway, so you're basically playing for nothing.

"Next year we would just start at the same level. The way it's been put to us is that nobody will be promoted or relegated from the conferences even if you pulled out.

"I think we should just come back next year. This [Covid] isn't going away any time soon.

"If we postpone to January we have to squeeze games in and don't have training facilities; it becomes a farce.

"Even if you pause it you will play friendlies in the hope of playing.

"If we pull out we can say this isn't happening and prepare for next season. It would be a cheaper option for us to mothball and clear ourselves for next season.

"It's tough to get everyone on the same page and call off the season. It's not defeatist but it's the reality.

"Nobody wants to do it but there is no simple answer."

Edited by cmontheloknow

Just now, gogsy said:

No promotion, when was that decided? Would think it would be possible from the premier division to Lowland.

If teams are allowed to choose non participation (because of thier own circumstances) then there cannot be relegation so therefore no promotion 

My understanding is that the Lowland league have offered team to step down for season without "punishment" 

Anyway even if there was a promotion spot from the "premier" - why would it be zcceptable for promtion to be available in only one of the four West of Scotland Leagues - you think that is fair?

9 minutes ago, Glass ceiling said:

Anyway even if there was a promotion spot from the "premier" - why would it be zcceptable for promtion to be available in only one of the four West of Scotland Leagues - you think that is fair?

In the past the EoS & SoS have seen teams pull out before and even early into the season. The league champions still had access to the LL playoff if eligible or the Scottish Cup qualifying spot that came with the championship.

I think both leagues got as low  as 11 teams during that time.

If there's enough teams willing to start the WoS Premier I don't see why it would be any different for them.

Nobody want to be that team that says we are not playing this season and stops promotion and relegation in all the conferences etc hence the clubs are a bit reluctant and feel a bit forced to not be that one but I think it’s inevitable that that’s the way it will probably go as there will be at least 1 team that’s going to say no under the current criteria restrictions