People need to take responsibility for their own actions. if their own personal circumstances dictate that it is better to steer clear then steer clear, but don't try to stop others from being able to proceed, if their circumstances are different. As long as schools and pubs are being kept open, the governments have basically adopted a Swedish approach and are no longer really trying to effectively contain the virus. There is no justification from a public health standpoint for not allowing lower level football with crowds in the hundreds to proceed in a similar manner to England at Step 3 and below at that point because there are far more likely venues for the spread of infection being actively kept open elsewhere.

8 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

People need to take responsibility for their own actions. if their own personal circumstances dictate that it is better to steer clear then steer clear, but don't try to stop others from being able to proceed, if their circumstances are different. As long as schools and pubs are being kept open, the governments have basically adopted a Swedish approach and are no longer really trying to effectively contain the virus. There is no justification from a public health standpoint for not allowing lower level football with crowds in the hundreds to proceed in a similar manner to England at Step 3 and below at that point because there are far more likely venues for the spread of infection being actively kept open elsewhere.

Agree,  think about how many people have touched your loaf of bread in a supermarket or made up your 6 pack of morning rolls or served you your fags at the counter they don't get there by magic....  But it is not acceptable to stand yourself in the pishing rain in a junior ground,  the world is totally fu c ked..

I don't think you can compare going to a football match with the pubs and schools being open.

There is a lot of people working in the hospitality sector which is why they haven't been keen to close pubs and restaurants with the furlough scheme coming to an end. Wouldn't be surprised if pubs do end up closing once this new winter economic plan is announced tomorrow.

The schools are open as it is the best way for children to get an education and allows their parents to get on with working.

Allowing fans to attend games just isn't as high a priority and would just add another method for the virus to be spread.

The virus doesn't care about the economic pain of keeping pubs closed and quality of education in the classroom vs online. You can't pick and choose like that if you are serious about prevention and elimination from a public health standpoint. Once those sort of factors are entering into the decision making equation, it's time for politicians to be honest that they have given up on the notion of waiting for a vaccine and are now happy for herd immunity to happen naturally because the numbers from other countries that have taken more of a vodka and sauna approach suggest getting there isn't much worse than a bad flu season.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

13 hours ago, andy25 said:

And when will these better times be?

In the not too distant future I would hope. 

I understand there's a move by some clubs to start the season without fans, and to me that's not only a nonsense, it's financial suicide for the vast majority of the smaller clubs at our grade. It might be okay if you can waive those fears aside because you're extremely well funded. but for the vast majority of clubs it would be catastrophic. Moan all you like about fans being allowed back in, I honestly can't see it happening. Doesn't mean I support that position, though, I'd love to be able to see the Talbot again soon, but as I mentioned, how it could be done so that everyone's well being is assured I don't know.

2 minutes ago, TFW said:

In the not too distant future I would hope. 

I understand there's a move by some clubs to start the season without fans, and to me that's not only a nonsense, it's financial suicide for the vast majority of the smaller clubs at our grade. It might be okay if you can waive those fears aside because you're extremely well funded. but for the vast majority of clubs it would be catastrophic. Moan all you like about fans being allowed back in, I honestly can't see it happening. Doesn't mean I support that position, though, I'd love to be able to see the Talbot again soon, but as I mentioned, how it could be done so that everyone's well being is assured I don't know.

Even if some clubs can get started without fans and the rest go into abeyance. There would probably be real mix across the divisions. So how meaningful could the patchwork season be?

13 hours ago, rncaa said:

Utterly bizarre post with the greatest of respect. 

You are living with someone with underlying conditions and are happy swaning about the north of england watching basically meaningless matches involving teams you don't support and have the cheek to have a go at others behaviour then call for the season to be done away with as you obviously feel we are in a very serious situation which we are as it happens. 

You should be nowhere near a football end of story the now wether or not some spectators are compliant or not .

With the greatest of respect....Indeed. I watch non league football because I love the game, full stop. If I had the chance of watching say Carlisle City or Manchester United it would be at Carlisle. I don't have SKY, BT Sport etc as I don't watch live football on the television, I need to be a ground to enjoy the game. These aren't meaningless games, they're games I thoroughly enjoy going to. It's why I watch Kello Rovers when Talbot aren't playing.

I don't "swan about the north of England" I drive to the ground, pick a safe spot, leave early and drive away. I manage my own health and safety. 

I also run a local foodbank, and I organise the health and safety of the users and the staff. I've organised health and safety in shipyards when I worked there, in refineries, and in public sector workplaces too. I know a wee bit about it. Your advice re whether or not I should be anywhere at all will be filed somewhere for later use, probably the bin. I want to see football back, but I want it to be safe. What a lot of the doom and gloom mongers on here fail to realise is that clubs are not just the hubs of their community, but they are employers also, and subject to the law of the land in regards of the health and safety of their fans, staff, and players.

If it could be done safely, I'd be back at Talbot tomorrow I imagine, following the same kind of steps I've taken elsewhere. I still don't know though how people's safety can be ensured, whatever precautions are taken? Another question as well, which I haven't seen asked anywhere is the issue of Public Liability Insurance. I assume all the clubs have to have it, but does it ask questions that would determine whether or not games could go ahead safely? I assume the premiums will eventually rise steeply as a result of Covid, the insurance industry are not noted for their philanthropy.

Think the politicians are waiting to say 'i told you so' as their preferred plan of action works better v covid19. They don't want to be part of the gang who may have fucked things up somehow. Looks as if I'll be watching my football down here in England for a while, was optimistic of a return to Scotland in November, but that's wearing off. No one can convince me that it's safer to be in a supermarket amid 500+ rather than spread out at a game among 250, with fans being sensible. (May be the problem)

14 hours ago, Andy groundhopper said:

Think the politicians are waiting to say 'i told you so' as their preferred plan of action works better v covid19. They don't want to be part of the gang who may have fucked things up somehow...

If the average punter ever understands how messed up their initial response was the political elite in the UK are in big trouble. Lockdowns need to be done when the first cases are identified Taiwan style to be effective. Waiting until the exponential curve on deaths is already rocketing up was equivalent to trying to use an aspirin to cure terminal liver cancer. If Nicola Sturgeon goes to the UK treasury with a begging bowl for a football bailout as suggested in the link provided by The Ilford Drummer it will be difficult not to follow England's approach because the bailout will probably be targeted only at the "elite level".

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/coronavirus-joint-response-group-update-23-september/?rid=13929

...Neil Doncaster, CEO of the SPFL, commented: “We are engaging with the Scottish Government to underline the existential threat to many of our clubs, and to the huge community, economic and sporting benefits they deliver, if this grave situation continues without meaningful public financial support. We therefore welcome the intervention of the Scottish Government in seeking urgent discussions with the UK Government about a package of financial recovery for Scottish sport.

Hopefully Boris Johnson doesn't try to use Scottish football as a (wait for it yes I am going to use that analogy) political football in the wider game of constitutional politics that is ongoing between Westminster and Holyrood.

The message from Rishi Sunak couldn't have been clearer yesterday. He will give very limited financial support to folk who have jobs, currently in furlough, to come back to work and the employer will receive a certain amount of money to take that salary up to 78%. I doubt non league fitba is anywhere in their thought process?

Given the fact that he hasn't produced a budget for this coming year means there will undoubtedly be financial shenanigans as Westminster looks to undermine the devolved governments. Interesting days indeed, but not looking forward to them.

24 minutes ago, gogsy said:

Not sure what is more ridiculous, the SNP trying to get a package from Westminster for lower league football, or Boris trying to understand why they would want a package to try and support lower league football.

Funny how Sturgeon found the money easy enough to support prostitutes for instance at the start of the pandemic isn't it? Supporting lower league football won't win you as many brownie points in the virtue signalling modern world though.

Look at how she treated the Aberdeen / Celtic Fiasco v the Rugby outbreaks as well. She hates football and it's fans. 

Funny how Sturgeon found the money easy enough to support prostitutes for instance at the start of the pandemic isn't it? Supporting lower league football won't win you as many brownie points in the virtue signalling modern world though.

Aye god forbid the government provide suppport to vulnreable individuals. Bloody virtue signalling sjw pc gone mad.

I understand the shouting for fans to attend from clubs but this call for a kind of bailout is bizarre. Most if not all players will have actual job so it’s not really due to wage costs. 

As a poster alludes to I’m not sure the non league will be high on any government agenda. The leagues and clubs are choosing to start after all. 

Think it's more likely that any bailout will be for the SPFL level, if clubs at Nationwide League and above in England get some help because Boris says they can't play in front of crowds until at least March. If so, hopefully the English approach on what happens below that also applies in Scotland, everybody still gets to have a season north and south of the border and the politicians at both Westminster and Holyrood are seen to save the day where all levels of football are concerned. We'll find out soon enough.

Think it's more likely that any bailout will be for the SPFL level, if clubs at Nationwide League and above in England get some help because Boris says they can't play in front of crowds until at least March. If so, hopefully the English approach on what happens below that also applies in Scotland, everybody still gets to have a season north and south of the border and the politicians at both Westminster and Holyrood are seen to save the day where all levels of football are concerned. We'll find out soon enough.
Yep, most national league and several national north and south clubs are full time professional, so any comparison with Scottish non league really is comparing apples and pears. Can't see any way Scottish non league clubs would be given any government assistance.

Definitely looks like saving the so-called Elite clubs will be high on the agenda for financial support, not against that apart from the ridiculous wages pro clubs fork out, no point pleading poverty. The non league game and restart,in my opinion, can be ruined  by one thing : fans seen not sticking to the protocol, masks, distancing etc, behaving normally. Am still hopeful.