"Your account has been locked for security reasons"

WeAreElgin

Question

I've had a few emails telling me my account is locked over the last few months, after some failed login attempts. I haven't been logging in when the emails are sent, so it seems a bit strange. Today I've had 3 sent at exactly the same time.

This has happened on a few occasions over the last few months, but I have never had any issues logging in to my account from the android app.

I have changed my password which has made no difference, my account obviously isn't locked..

Full email:

Hi WeAreElgin,

We have detected 3 failed log in attempts to your account from 51.4964,-0.1224.

If this wasn't you, someone else may be trying to access your account. These log in attempts were unsuccessful. You may however want to change your password for greater security, especially if you use the same password on other websites.

If this was you, you can safely ignore this email and you will be able to sign in again at 24/06/20 16:08.

13 answers to this question

Clearly a box office poster. I don't think anyone's ever bothered to try to get into my account.

Could just be they're scared of what they'll find, right enough.

4 hours ago, WeAreElgin said:

I've had a few emails telling me my account is locked over the last few months, after some failed login attempts. I haven't been logging in when the emails are sent, so it seems a bit strange. Today I've had 3 sent at exactly the same time.

This has happened on a few occasions over the last few months, but I have never had any issues logging in to my account from the android app.

I have changed my password which has made no difference, my account obviously isn't locked..

Full email:

Hi WeAreElgin,

If this wasn't you, someone else may be trying to access your account. These log in attempts were unsuccessful. You may however want to change your password for greater security, especially if you use the same password on other websites.

If this was you, you can safely ignore this email and you will be able to sign in again at 24/06/20 16:08.

I usually get it when it won't let me log in on my phone, which is every time I've tried recently. It's a bit random though, don't get the email every time.

Edited by welshbairn

15 hours ago, WeAreElgin said:

Full email:

Hi WeAreElgin,

Childline finally caught with you after your recent posts on home learning.

Best Esther Rantzen GIFs | Gfycat

On 24/06/2020 at 17:02, WeAreElgin said:

Hi WeAreElgin,

Normally failed logins are reported as coming from an IP address. That's not an IP address.

Curiously, it looks like a latitude/longitude pairing, possibly the results of a GeoIP lookup. In fact, 51.4964N 0.1224W is slap bang in the middle of the thames, about 50m west of Lambeth Palace, 150m SE of the Houses of Parliament and 150m NE of MI5 HQ.  Presumably your P&B account is being hacked by one or more of the Parliamentary Conservative Party, MI5 or the Archbishop of Canterbury. Is there something you ought to be telling us? I always thought that Justin Welby was one for the watching...

MI5hack.thumb.png.add3d8656513831c6efb88fdf89cf53d.png

I got an email "You have successfully logged in from another computer. If this isn't you, then please log out and report the error to the admin team." and I can't access my account anymore. I created a new one but I wanna find out what happened to the old one. It's not the first time this happens to one of my accounts and I have no clue why. One of my friends recommended getting a mobile and web application testing from DELETED to find out why is this happening so often and why in general. I don't think someone hacked my accounts, but this is still weird though.

Edited by Cardinal Richelieu

On 10/08/2020 at 18:53, tornados said:

I got an email "You have successfully logged in from another computer. If this isn't you, then please log out and report the error to the admin team." and I can't access my account anymore. I created a new one but I wanna find out what happened to the old one. It's not the first time this happens to one of my accounts and I have no clue why. One of my friends recommended getting a mobile and web application testing from DELETED to find out why is this happening so often and why in general. I don't think someone hacked my accounts, but this is still weird though.

No you didn't you naughty spammer.