Cheap laptop for football manager

madwullie

Guest SJP79
43 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Any gurus out there got any idea how much it'd be for a laptop to play FM on? 

Maybe even some examples of one? 

You need a half decent graphics card and a bit of power to run several leagues with a bit of speed.

There is also the option to play with a lower quality laptop or desktop on google stadia.

Edited by SJP79

Thanks mate. How does stadia work then, I've got a chrome book. Do I have the game on my pc and stream it from there, or do I stream the game from a cloud somewhere. If the latter, is the former possible at all anyway? 

11 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Thanks mate. How does stadia work then, I've got a chrome book. Do I have the game on my pc and stream it from there, or do I stream the game from a cloud somewhere. If the latter, is the former possible at all anyway? 

Stadia is the latter. They're doing free trials at the moment (or at least they were) but FM isnt in the games you can try for free.

You can do the former with Steam. Looks like you can install Steam on a chromebook but theres a few hoops to jump through

Oaft that's interesting. Will have to look into that. So desperate for FM I was willing to buy a shit laptop for it, but if I can run it on my pc and stream to the chromebook, fucking dancer. 

Guest SJP79
21 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Got steam installed on the chromebook. Pretty stressful so think I'll leave the streaming shit till tomorrow. Thanks again 👍 

Ive never tried FM on Stadia but i heard its possible to run a lot of leagues at a good speed as its all from google server banks and also you will get the best graphics. 

My laptop is an old acer with a limited graphics card and it really struggled to run anymore than 2 leagues, plus the in game match engine is of poor quality visually but in comparison to the early FMs it still reasonable. 

I bought a laptop for £240 purely for Football Manager and it works fine but it is very slow with only 7 leagues or so running.

Will give the Stadia a look into even if it means buying the game twice.

Guest SJP79
4 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

I bought a laptop for £240 purely for Football Manager and it works fine but it is very slow with only 7 leagues or so running.

You'll probably get a few reviews of Football Manager with Stadia on youtube.

I've got a fairly middle-high end pc, but I'd like to be able to sit in the same room as the wife when playing it. PC is upstairs in another room, and my life just isn't set up to be hidden away baw deep in FM from dawn till dusk till dawn (sadly).

A cheeky half hour here and there of post scriptum aye, but I know there's no such thing as half an hour of fm

15 minutes ago, SJP79 said:

You'll probably get a few reviews of Football Manager with Stadia on youtube.

You get a months free trial and a £10 off voucher so I’ve gone for it as it’s only costing me £10 to get the game.

Massive difference in the estimated game speed. I was half a star for the seven leagues as I said and now rated 4 stars for eighteen leagues.

The only issue seems to be the internet speed. If that is running slow it does become very blurry.

Guest SJP79
4 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

You get a months free trial and a £10 off voucher so I’ve gone for it as it’s only costing me £10 to get the game.

Massive difference in the estimated game speed. I was half a star for the seven leagues as I said and now rated 4 stars for eighteen leagues.

The only issue seems to be the internet speed. If that is running slow it does become very blurry.

Nice one ;)

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 24/06/2020 at 20:27, PB1994 said:

Just out of interest what laptop was it and in hindsight what would you recommend 3 months on?

59 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Just out of interest what laptop was it and in hindsight what would you recommend 3 months on?

This is the one I bought (No longer available on Argos or I would have supplied the link).

What would I recommend? Good question. Buying a cheap laptop and getting stadia was perfect for me.  The laptop only gets turned on if I’m going to play FM, so I just couldn’t justify paying £500-600 for one that could run the game at the speed the google servers can. Though you do need to have a decent internet connection and pay £9 a month for Stadia so I can see why some people would be put off by that.

I shall it on the fence and say if you are willing to pay/can afford to pay for a laptop that runs the game easily then that is the way to go but the stadia option is an excellent alternative.

36238757-2C3F-43ED-B8FC-D5F0D6383575.jpeg

• 2 months later...

Bump.

My laptop has given up the ghost got 7/8 years out of it so done quite well considering the amount of times I dropped it etc. Looking for a new one, given I’m a bit more mature now I wouldn’t be reckless with this one so should hopefully last me the same amount of time.

Only really use it for FM and other games. Do use it for standard web browsing etc. as well but games(FM) are the main use.

Can anyone who is better with laptop/pc specs offer some decent options for new ones? Very top end of the budget would be £500.