Berwick Rangers 2020/21

Pugsley

Hugely disappointing performance against Stirling yesterday, after a couple of encouraging displays in the previous 2 weeks.

Truth is that we got stuffed by Stirling who looked much more than just 1 division above us - and that reflects our performance more than theirs.

Pre match, Kev Haynes was saying that a number of our players could easily play for Stirling, suggesting really that we are as good as them individually. Well OK, maybe that is just bigging the team up as you do in a match preview, but the evidence was a million miles away from that. 

We don't seem to like playing on the grass at Shielfield, our first touch and movement off the ball is as bad as our passing, (terrible lack of concentration really), and nobody seems to get too angry when their team mates make a tired or careless cock-up. Progress is painfully slow and if Haynes is right that we have lots of talented individuals - and he might be - then you have to ask why teamwork is in such short supply. 

The highlights showcase some Easter Island statues and some threepenny-bit  touches that are just astonishing to watch.

The season was always about further consolidation and development and we need to concentrate on that. There are some good things to build around - Waugh, Ferguson, Sinclair and Wright - but the rest need a freshly charged cattle prod. 

Dismal stuff. We could and should have been five or six down at half time. Don't think we mustered a shot until the second half, and then they had taken a lazy foot off the gas. I have to agree we aren't good on our own patch. Seem to be more organized and able to play on the plastic. Do we train on grass at all? The passing and even tackling is soft and usually comes up short. But our shape and lack of bottle is evident. Not sure if there was a few had been on the pudding bit it was a poor show all over the park. Ok so Stirling are a decent side but a cup tie at home, at least show some spirit and have a go. Personally, I don't see progress. Just a side going through the motions.

So what is the concensus of opinions as to where the problems lay ??

Is it management ??

Team workrate/generally not good enough/lacking in enthusiasm ??

Is it pitch, is grass not to our liking ??

But it seems the old problems are rearing their heads without any form of solution. We were supposed to be challenging next year for Div 2, but seriously we seem to be heading the wrong way in this division, without any problems being addressed (Yet again)

Also something I tend to find strange is Man of the Match awards. We have just lost in the cup (yes to better opposition) but the above to post on the match seems to sum it up. So why man of the match ?? The team lose everybody loses. yet MOTM is awarded. Maybe the incentive would be only awarded when points are on the board

8 hours ago, berwicksfinest said:

So what is the concensus of opinions as to where the problems lay ??

Is it management ??

Team workrate/generally not good enough/lacking in enthusiasm ??

Is it pitch, is grass not to our liking ??

But it seems the old problems are rearing their heads without any form of solution. We were supposed to be challenging next year for Div 2, but seriously we seem to be heading the wrong way in this division, without any problems being addressed (Yet again)

Also something I tend to find strange is Man of the Match awards. We have just lost in the cup (yes to better opposition) but the above to post on the match seems to sum it up. So why man of the match ?? The team lose everybody loses. yet MOTM is awarded. Maybe the incentive would be only awarded when points are on the board

Short answer is - no idea!

Doug Horne looked like a good un but now I'm not sure he is even the best keeper at the club. 

Ryan Finnie was superb early on but now looks like he's been watching Craig Hume videos 

Callum Smith has won plenty of those pesky MoM awards but rarely looks like scoring, and Lewis Allen, despite obviously having real ability,  looks like he'd prefer to be reading a good book. We carry little attacking threat when playing against any half decent side. 

Lots of clubs signed loan players from top clubs - we got Mackenzie Lawler and sat him on the bench. 

We have absolutely no width, but Gary Windram  was allowed to leave and Liall Smith was sent out on loan, recalled, and keeps Lawler company on the bench . Keiran Somerville meanwhile puts in the occasional superb cross, interspersed with 7 or 8 inexplicably crappy ones. 

If I had to put a finger on it, I'd say the main issue is (old chestnut alert) leadership on and off the park. Kev Waugh is a ray of light in that respect and I'd like to see him bawling out some of his team mates - especially the experienced ones - when they send a pass spiralling into the ducket. It just seems very easy to put in a poor performance in the black and gold, knowing that the manager won't throw teacups at you, there is no crowd to tell you how shite you're playing and your own team mates say nowt because their own earlier cock up was also conveniently forgotten about by all concerned

Yano's softly-softly style and Haynesy's street corner yobbo act don't seem desperately inspiring to me, but I'm told the players have genuine regard and respect for the management team.

The whole "let's hug one another" ethos of the Board, players and fans has inadvertently given us a team where abject displays just seem to be met with excuses rather than anger and change.  Frankly, I'd like to see some fucker sacked, but I've no idea who!!! 

There are some decent players there. Would a new management team get more out of them? Probably. Can we afford to change the manager? Probably not. Is there another way? Yes, I think there is and it has to start with some people growing a pair, lots of stern talking, and transferring that onto the pitch with a few meaty challenges, some risk taking and the senior players engaging in some mutual arse kicking.

Edited by Redcar

Thanks Redcar

I cannot fault that at all, and quite a frank assessment, that really needs to be seen by the board !!

Unfortunately The old playbook of every season seems to be playing out yet again. coupled with the fact that next season is supposed to be "the one" I can see see all the great work off the pitch disappearing in a great puff of smoke, as once again disillusioned fans/spectators/investors etc lose hope the will to live and depart ,.

Regards the players respecting management, I hope so, but remember we were told Mr Harvey was the messiah and our problems were over!! Yes look where that went.

Upshot is down here in Tier 4 Cambridgeshire, its really hard to get enthused anymore, with reports like Stirling/Kelty etc coming down, How it is in Northumberland I can only imagine 

6 hours ago, Stewie Griffin said:

Rearranged home game against BSC for next Saturday (brought forward from March) and Gala away for a week on Tuesday. Not hard to see the nosedive to the bottom four continuing after those games

Haddington best BSC with a bit of grit and effort in the Scottish Cup and they are 2 divisions below BSC. 

Gala have only 2 wins more than Berwick, so why be so defeatist for that one.

Not sure change in management is the way forward. Berwick must go through more managers than most and it doesn’t make them better. Never realised it was a 2 year plan for promotion, but if the club has bought into that, just keep on giving them your support! As long as Berwick aren’t relegated and I don’t see that happening, then the time to make judgement is next year - surely?  

Looking from the outside, obviously with Berwick being relegated from the SPFL 2 its made everyone in connection look at what's going on and try to come up with the best way to sort the problems out.
I agree with Casey Jones, definitely don't get relegated, consolidate their place and try to get promoted but in order to do so, is there drastic reform at the club required.
I do think any team who comes up from the EOS or WOS are expecting are not looking to make up the numbers but challenge for a place for promotion which would leave Berwick lower down unless things change.

Is there scope for change, money in the bank to try and push on
Is there confidence in the running of the club, i.e. chairmen and committee etc..
Is there confidence in the management team
is there confidence in the team itself becoming better as the year goes on
What have Berwick got in ways of youth coming through to potentially rejuvenate the team

11 minutes ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Looking from the outside, obviously with Berwick being relegated from the SPFL 2 its made everyone in connection look at what's going on and try to come up with the best way to sort the problems out.
I agree with Casey Jones, definitely don't get relegated, consolidate their place and try to get promoted but in order to do so, is there drastic reform at the club required.
I do think any team who comes up from the EOS or WOS are expecting are not looking to make up the numbers but challenge for a place for promotion which would leave Berwick lower down unless things change.

Is there scope for change, money in the bank to try and push on
Is there confidence in the running of the club, i.e. chairmen and committee etc..
Is there confidence in the management team
is there confidence in the team itself becoming better as the year goes on
What have Berwick got in ways of youth coming through to potentially rejuvenate the team

The Board, the principles and core values of the club and pretty well everything you mention has changed since relegation. And very very much for the better, too. New links with the community, the juniors, ladies sections etc. Can't fault it.

What frustrates long suffering fans is results and performances. There was some promise this season, but the league table tells it like it is.  It is hard to continue to be patient after all these years and the management team is beginning to get criticism.

Perhaps we should be even more patient, though. IWithout a sugar daddy, money will always restrict us, but the last thing we need is for the new Board to lose heart. 

Definitely above

With the addition of, I wish the board would be a little more pro active. Its OK to muddle along getting nowhere. Thats how we got in this position.

They have set out their vision and should be quite clear in kicking some ass should it be needed in order to achieve it.

Otherwise as I have already said, players lose heart, fans lose heart, finally potential investors and investors lose heart. 

I agree that chopping & changing is fine and dandy from our sitting rooms, however if there is this comfortable malaise that we are all doing fine and just meandering along this club will find itself out of senior football for good. There has to be ambition, there must be a clear plan from the board surely. Yanos record is not good. And the board are there to hold that record to account. It's not a personal thing. Its a football thing. This year is probably going to get written off due to the hellish circumstances we are all under. Frankly, sometimes, there's more than sport. But if it does carry on the squad should be improved, the points above are more than valid. So far, some of the loans in and out are a bit baffling. Some of the results have been unfortunate with red cards and injuries. But some have been dire.
Feels like we were here last year. Plenty of huff and puff but no cigar. On and off the park.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hope I'm wrong, but can't see any league or cup football resuming this season where fans are allowed in.

But if those restrictions are lifted late in May, I hope the club can arrange a decent friendly so that we can reclaim our spot on the terraces.  (When I say decent, any opponents will do). 

I suppose you guys (and Tweedmouth) have to follow SFA guidance but it would be a bit daft if the (English) FA let folk attend at Spittal Rovers games and you couldn't attend at Shielfield even in a limited capacity 

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/03/2021 at 09:35, leomessi1984 said:

Good signing in Taylor-Mackenzie.  He was excelletn at Kelty and thought he was unluck to be left out so much when Ferguson came in. A real goal threat from midfield.

Hi, how are things going at Berwick as an Airdrie fan who has experience many highs and lows in recent years interested to hear how your team are doing ♦️

On 08/04/2021 at 20:24, Eric the half a b said:

Hi, how are things going at Berwick as an Airdrie fan who has experience many highs and lows in recent years interested to hear how your team are doing ♦️

We hit absolute rock bottom when we got relegated. Clueless manager and a truly dreadful team. Many thought that the club would fizzle out completely within a couple of years.

But since then there has been a complete transformation in the Boardroom, in the club's relationship with the fans and the community, and in trust, belief, confidence and other corporate buzzwords. There are new links with local Junior and ladies teams and the social media team is second to none.

Fundraising during Covid has been remarkable really, but without a sugar daddy, finances remain tough and we can't pay the wages that some in the Lowland League can manage 

Berwick Rangers no longer has a dark cloud over it and players are happy to sign for us. We have 15 signed for next season - many on rarely seen (at this level) 2-year contracts. Still a work in progress and we have a way to go (on the field), but whilst I was embarrassed to be a Berwick fan in our relegation season, I'm now happy to wear the scarf. (Well, the BRFC facemask, anyway)

Edited by Redcar

4 hours ago, Redcar said:

We hit absolute rock bottom when we got relegated. Clueless manager and a truly dreadful team. Many thought that the club would fizzle out completely within a couple of years.

But since then there has been a complete transformation in the Boardroom, in the club's relationship with the fans and the community, and in trust, belief, confidence and other corporate buzzwords. There are new links with local Junior and ladies teams and the social media team is second to none.

Fundraising during Covid has been remarkable really, but without a sugar daddy, finances remain tough and we can't pay the wages that some in the Lowland League can manage 

Berwick Rangers no longer has a dark cloud over it and players are happy to sign for us. We have 15 signed for next season - many on rarely seen (at this level) 2-year contracts. Still a work in progress and we have a way to go (on the field), but whilst I was embarrassed to be a Berwick fan in our relegation season, I'm now happy to wear the scarf. (Well, the BRFC facemask, anyway)

You could or would be disappointed with your club, getting relegated, but never be embarrassed by them!