Berwick Rangers 2020/21

Pugsley

17 hours ago, Dead said:

Thought Berwick competed well in the 1st half and had a good spell of pressure just before the break.

I was expecting a very tough 2nd half but that never happened. The 1st 10 mins of the 2nd half Shire were comfortable then Berwick had the triple substitution changing their formation to a more attacking one only for Shire to immediately change formation to compensate. That was the pivotal moment of the game. Not long after Shire got our 2nd and then saw out the rest of the match.

Berwick are a big improvement on the team we played 6 mths ago and when they click they will give all teams in this league a tough game. They just need to play the full 90 mins. There are a lot of positives eg player attitude plus I saw a few players with that bit extra spark. I do think Shire will have a hard game in the return if Berwick can gel properly... hope not, at least against us :)

We are better than 6 Months ago and the attitude is not in question. But we were well beaten yesterday, struggling to create any really decent chances. The stand out difference was in ball retention. Our passing was just awful throughout, and when a pass did reach its target with a bit of pace on it, the first touch was pish. Really needs working on. 

Still a couple of key players missing, so I'm sure we will improve. (For sure, read hope).

Civil Service Strollers 1-0 Berwick Rangers

Sigh... 1st half was non event though we managed 1 decent chance on break which hit side netting. Saw little of 2nd half due to camera issues. Hosts seemed to score from a free header.

Given experience of Saturday and tonight can I implore volunteer cameramen of the world to unite: if your stream is going fine 1st half leave it running and don't touch any settings! Please 😧!

Very important run of games now.

Kelty in 10 days is very tough but Gretna, Dunipace (in Scottish Cup), Cumbernauld and Gala twice are all winnable, whereas following run is a lot harder.

I thought we were making progress after a couple of decent displays, but Spartans, Edinburgh Uni (even though we won), Shire and now Strollers have been painful to watch. Last night, we bossed possession in the first half with the wind behind, but created nothing.

The energy is excellent, but the football is terrible. Decent sides create space (and therefore chances) by movement off the ball and accurate but simple passing. We seem to be in a permanent quest for a 50/50 challenge and it is awful to watch - school playground stuff.

You have to question the coaching and tactics. Sophisticated it isn't. 

13 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Kelty in 10 days is very tough but Gretna, Dunipace (in Scottish Cup), Cumbernauld and Gala twice are all winnable, whereas following run is a lot harder.

Doubt one of the Gala games will happen as 26th December is the next round of cup and I would imagine at least one of us will get through. Describing those two games as winnable is also a potential stretch given they sit five points and two places above us.

39 minutes ago, Redcar said:

I thought we were making progress after a couple of decent displays, but Spartans, Edinburgh Uni (even though we won), Shire and now Strollers have been painful to watch. Last night, we bossed possession in the first half with the wind behind, but created nothing.

The energy is excellent, but the football is terrible. Decent sides create space (and therefore chances) by movement off the ball and accurate but simple passing. We seem to be in a permanent quest for a 50/50 challenge and it is awful to watch - school playground stuff.

You have to question the coaching and tactics. Sophisticated it isn't. 

Our management team appreciate your input

Screenshot 2020-11-25 112927.jpg

11 hours ago, Stewie Griffin said:

Our management team appreciate your input

Screenshot 2020-11-25 112927.jpg

I hope so because I'm with Redcar !!!

From what I've seen, where teams are starting to gel we seem to be going the other way.

With all the stats and technology available its staggering the quality of passing, lack of movement off the ball, lack of even having a pop at goal !!! Some even need picking up turning around and have the goal they're attacking pointing out to them !!

Have we the technology to check for colour blindness ?? because the passing to opposition is far better quality than to our own team

It would appear our usually Christmas slump has started. Don't expect another win until at least February !!

As another observation for those of us not dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st Century of social media, the club website seems not to give team news again, (again always happens this time of year)

Also the amount of crocks we seem to be getting is kind of worrying, 2 off today because of injury !! Why ?? Fitness ?? underfoot conditions ?? just unlucky ?? either way our injury list is fast becoming longer than our playing list !!

Conclusion, it seems like the Berwick of old is rearing its ugly head, Festive season, can't buy a win, couldn't score in a brothel and club website getting forgotten, but we can still join club 1881, 50/50 draws, Black Friday deals  etc. 

As a neutral at the game today, you started well and after half an hour there only looked like being one winner, as you had a fair few chances to deserve at least a two-goal lead if the end product matched the build-up.

Gretna defended well, though, and got into it towards the end of the first half, and from then on in you were fighting for scraps, and rarely forced the home keeper into making a save.

The hosts then had the better of the second half and after going one up, you could have easily been a few behind with a missed penalty, a free-kick just over the bar and a few testing balls across your box.

At the start, and halfway through the second half, I'd have said a point would've probably been fair, but ultimately I think Gretna definitely edged it and, more importantly, in the second half looked like they wanted it more, which would be worrying for me if I was a Berwick fan.

Edited by Drifter