Is switching between First Team and Reserves allowed during the season?

FairWeatherFan

Nairn County 'A' have just been accepted into the North Caledonian League. That makes them the fourth club to have a reserve/colt/B team in the senior leagues with Stranraer (SPFL & SOSFL), Caledonian Braves (Lowland & SoSFL), and Stirling University (Lowland & EoSFL) already in place.

I was just wondering if a player can switch between the first team and reserve sides whenever they want? Or if it is explicitly ruled out since they would be considered transfers from one team to another.

With development loans being able to play for their club's colt side in the SPFL Challenge Cup, that had me wondering how it was applied within a league structure.

Thanks!

All signed under one banner and no restrictions. Caley Braves for example fielded most of their U23/SoS side in one of the cups on more than one occasion last season.Both the SoS side and 1st team used players from the Edusport Academy / CB 20s as well.  Stranraer were using the SoS side to fill out the bench in 19-20, with the occcasional player getting on: Robbie Agnew, Reece Adair, Euan Brown, Lewis Dunn, Dean Fyfe, Lewis McIntyre, Harry Mitchell, Scot Phillips and Danny Wild all named in the matchday squad. Stirling Uni also used the EoS side for bench warmers too.

Edited by cmontheloknow

• 1 month later...
On 09/08/2020 at 16:56, Hampden Diehard said:

In Germany, I think the U23 sides that play in the lower leagues have a cut off date when they can't use players who have played for their respective first teams.

I think there's a cooling off period of a few games as well after being moved between squads.

As far as I understand it, the II teams don't have to be U23 teams. Most of the 1. and 2. Bundesliga clubs (that still have II teams, as they're no longer mandatory) will run them as U23 as there aren't any restrictions on moving U23 players between squads. I think the cooling-off period is more to stop first team players from being parachuted into the II team for big games, championship run-ins, etc.

Edited by Cyclizine