Cigar Enthusiasts

11 hours ago, Unconscious Objector said:

Agree with buying a sample pack to get a variety to see what kind of strength and taste you prefer. My preference is for montecristo no.4 when I can afford them. If your going to take it up seriously you will need to invest in a humidor to keep your stock fresh as cigars won’t keep long otherwise

Thanks for the tips.  Will try a sampler.  Was a a bit suspicious of whether tobacconists used these to shift the cigars that no-one bought, like hiding the debt of sub-prime mortgages.  

If I was a smoker I’d use a pipe. Nowt wrong with pipe. I could pretend to be an old wizard.

See with big fat cigars, are you meant to smoke the whole lot of is it acceptable to stub it out and come back to it later?
I always do it in a oner (and I imagine that's the way you are supposed to do it). I stubbed it out once and went back to it and it really wasn't the same.

3 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

If I was a smoker I’d use a pipe. Nowt wrong with pipe. I could pretend to be an old wizard.

See with big fat cigars, are you meant to smoke the whole lot of is it acceptable to stub it out and come back to it later?

I've only just started watching "Still Game" (I know, I'm on the cutting edge of culture) and was pleasantly surprised to see Jack puffing away at his pipe in numerous scenes. You rarely see anyone smoking on television nowadays.

As for the cigars, I understand they're very bitter if you relight them. Hence, the aim is to select a cigar that matches the amount of time you're going to devote to smoking it.

Edited by Shotgun

1 hour ago, superbigal said:

Does anyone use a pipe still ?
Not seen an old dude with one for years.

My Papa used to smoke a pipe. I can't remember the last time I saw anyone smoking a pipe.

I was thinking about getting one when I used to smoke. I never did get one though. 

Pipes are the way forward. I just watched a video of a guy preparing his pipe. There’s more to it than smoking a ciggie, there’s a process involved that for some must be quite therapeutic. It’s like enjoying a fine dram or wine. If the taste of tobacco didn’t make me feel vile then I’d be heading out right now to buy my first pipe.

59 minutes ago, Brother Blades said:

My grandfather also smoked a pipe, I used to love watching him prepare his next smoke, tap away at the ashtray, small knife to scrape the ash, then a pipe cleaner to clean the shaft?

In a (possibly futile) attempt to stave off the Kenneth, it's called the stem. You're welcome.

5 minutes ago, Duszek said:

Do pipes give you cancer?

Lounging outside with a pipe and a drink doesn’t sound too shabby.

16046C6B-3669-4975-B5C9-727422719DB0.png

Because you don't inhale, the threat of lung cancer is diminished although not eliminated. Mouth cancer is still a potential issue though.

ETA: Of course, if that doesn't bother you, it really does look effing cool.

Edited by Shotgun

Because you don't inhale, the threat of lung cancer is diminished although not eliminated. Mouth cancer is still a potential issue though.
ETA: Of course, if that doesn't bother you, it really does look effing cool.
Wait, what? You don't inhale pipe smoke? I thought it was like a cigarette. If it's like a cigar I may well become a pipe smoker :o

48 minutes ago, Duszek said:

Do pipes give you cancer?

Lounging outside with a pipe and a drink doesn’t sound too shabby.

16046C6B-3669-4975-B5C9-727422719DB0.png

You look like a cross between Barry ferguson and Charlie Miller. 

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Wait, what? You don't inhale pipe smoke? I thought it was like a cigarette. If it's like a cigar I may well become a pipe smoker :o

I would suggest you do some further research into the health risks before you make your decision but no, you aren’t supposed to inhale pipe smoke. 

I mostly only smoke the tabs but had a cigar my mate brought back from Portugal at a wedding last year, it was absolutely brilliant. The done thing I was told was not inhale but just let it linger and definitely free to stub it and go back to it.
Don’t know anything about cigars though so will stick to cigarettes and being no help here, sorry.

Archaeologists can sometimes date a skull to after 1500 because the front teeth have a groove worn in them by a clay pipe (tobacco not being brought to Europe until after Columbus discovered America).

Jim Prior of Broxburn Athletic used to run the line at games while smoking his pipe.