Cigar Enthusiasts

10 hours ago, Golden Gordon said:

Don't know if I'll get much response to this or if this type of thread exists already, but have recently taken up cigar smoking as a lockdown pleasure & was looking to see if there were any recommendations from other posters?  Happy to range from supermarket brands to more upmarket cigars.

I absolutely love a Cohiba. Have never smoked a cigarette in my life but when we went to Cuba I couldn't not try a cigar. Tried a few and landed on Cohiba as my favourite which is of course the most expensive ones as well! They were massive over there and a box was £200. Really wish I had invested in one as it's about £1000 over here for the same thing. 

Your best bet is to buy a taster pack and see what you like. I order mine from https://www.jjfox.co.uk/ I expect you can get them cheaper elsewhere but I know these are official Cuban cigars and their service is excellent. I can't recall the name of it now but I've had one in the past that was chocolate flavoured and it was absolutely incredible. 

1 hour ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Do they go out of date? Had one in a drawer for about 20 years.

Thank you.

eta. it's in a steel tube.

More likely it's dried out. 

Smelling (cheap) cigar smoke always reminds me of standing on terraces at football. Older punters liked nothing better than smoking a cigar while shouting at the ref and watching pish football on a cold, wet day 

2 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Smelling (cheap) cigar smoke always reminds me of standing on terraces at football. Older punters liked nothing better than smoking a cigar while shouting at the ref and watching pish football on a cold, wet day 

Somewhat similar, but when I played golf, can remember going into the clubhouse and smelling Cafe Creme cigars. Really sweet smelling. 

Agree with buying a sample pack to get a variety to see what kind of strength and taste you prefer. My preference is for montecristo no.4 when I can afford them. If your going to take it up seriously you will need to invest in a humidor to keep your stock fresh as cigars won’t keep long otherwise

He had a cigar on his lips, and by that I don't mean that he was desperate to use the latrine.

Spoiler

I miss George Carlin.

Spoiler

I’ve got a big fat cigar in my drawer that a mate bought for me on my birthday for the #bants. Don’t know if I’ll ever get round to smoking it, keep telling myself I’ll have it on a special occasion. Don’t see any of them coming up anytime soon in the current climate...

1 hour ago, jamamafegan said:

I’ve got a big fat cigar in my drawer that a mate bought for me on my birthday for the #bants. Don’t know if I’ll ever get round to smoking it, keep telling myself I’ll have it on a special occasion. Don’t see any of them coming up anytime soon in the current climate...

The "special occasion" is not dying of COVID-19.

Get it lit.

15 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

I know I'm straying into "Live, Laugh, Love" territory but I agree with @Richey Edwards. Life is a special occasion. If you keep holding on to it waiting for an event special 'enough', you'll never smoke it and it will go to waste. Fire it up.

It's not really in "Live, Laugh, Love" territory. You just don't really need a "special occasion" to enjoy something. 

Used to smoke 40 fags a day but managed to stop after 20-odd years. No smoking at all for about a year, then I had a cigar on a night out. Then another, then another. Before I knew it I was smoking 40 Cafe Creme a day.  Managed to stop them as well about 5 years ago but I must have been absolutely stinking.

Used to smoke 40 fags a day but managed to stop after 20-odd years. No smoking at all for about a year, then I had a cigar on a night out. Then another, then another. Before I knew it I was smoking 40 Cafe Creme a day.  Managed to stop them as well about 5 years ago but I must have been absolutely stinking.
I really enjoy a cigar, as I say. But I can't say I have cravings for them. I've even bought small packets of 10's and they've sat for months until I fancy one. Daft as it sounds, I didn't think you could get addicted to cigars.

I think some folk have just got addictive personalities. Actually, I've been 11 years stopped when I come to think of it. That's when I started going to Falkirk games. First just the one, then another, then another ... now I'm a season ticket holder and rarely miss a game.

Hmmmm

3 minutes ago, hearthammer said:

Remember seeing an old cigar advert (I think) years ago that was fronted by Linda Lovelace. 

I don't think that was a cigar.