Celtic in Europe 2020/21

Antony

4 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Aye but the English Footy Lads will be calling Scottish football 'tinpot' on Twitter tonight and the self-loathing Scots will be having visions of kids in Papua New Guinea giggling at the 'laughing stock' of world football. 🙁

It's such an odd dichotomy. On one hand plenty of folk think Scottish football is absolutely shite yet on the other hand have a misplaced arrogance that for some reason the world pays an undue amount of attention to Scottish football.

21 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Last season clubs from Scotland beat clubs from Finland, Georgia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Estonia, Sweden, Romania, Italy, France, Gibraltar, Luxembourg, Denmark, Poland, Holland and Portugal. How does that fit in with your argument?

If Scottish football is  so shite, don't watch it.

How does it fit in?

There was a couple of good results last season by Rangers and Celtic in a general trend of decline over a couple of decades. 

But lets not forget Celtic were knocked out of the Champions League by Cluj, Aberdeen got an absolute pumping off a team they knocked out a few years ago and Kilmarnock lost to a team from the League of Wales.

I've been watching Scottish football since 1982.  It's part of my life.  I'd rather we actually acknowledged where we are and tried to improve it rather than give up on it.

If you think Scottish football is value for money, good quality, that Scottish game is on the way up, that we are competing successfully at European and International level, fine.  I don't and the fact that I actually care about my club and country doesn't preclude criticism.

Edited by Ya Bezzer!

49 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Second year in a row they've shit the bed at home in a CL qualifier.

Tactically inept once again, and weirdly bloodless too.

lol.

Third year in a row. Under Rodgers (who is an absolute fraud in European ties) they couldn't get a win against a ten man AEK at Parkhead in 2018.

Brown lasting 90 minutes should be a sacking offence in itself for Lennon. A mile off the pace defending, and a waste of a jersey when chasing the game.

Third year in a row. Under Rodgers (who is an absolute fraud in European ties) they couldn't get a win against a ten man AEK at Parkhead in 2018.
Brown lasting 90 minutes should be a sacking offence in itself for Lennon. A mile off the pace defending, and a waste of a jersey when chasing the game.
Rodgers in his first game also managed to lose to Lincoln Red Imps.

6 minutes ago, Jack Burton said:
38 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:
The point is that when Scottish football is tested against international competition our performances are poor against even modest opinion.
The standard of our league is garbage and no one is doing anything and its getting worse and worse, year on year.
Celtic are getting pumped out European competition by average to poor sides yet completely dominate domestically. 
What does that say about the rest?  It tells you the standard is utter dross.
It's not just a blib.  Our lots can't beat teams from Lithuania, Malta, Luxembourg, Cyprus, Armenia, Wales etc, etc.  That's where the Scottish league is now.

Last season we finished 5th or 6th in the co-efficient points table and will be back to having 2 Champions League places from next season.

We don't get 2 Champions League places.

We get 2 qualifying chances.

Celtic have failed to qualify three seasons in a row being knocked out by Ferencvaros, Cluj and AEK.

The last time they did qualify they lost 5 out of 6 group matches with a -13 goal difference.

Currently we are 0.575 points off dropping back.

4 minutes ago, G51 said:

Can't wait to hear this interview from Lennon, it sounds like a classic.

How long until he hooks one of his own players again?

15328514213226946.gif.60947105de346803c4ddfc6b4a27376e.gif

We'll see another "Don't you ever offer me that again" moment before the season ends, as the pressure builds, imo.

6 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

How does it fit in?

There was a couple of good results last season by Rangers and Celtic in a general trend of decline over a couple of decades. 

But lets not forget Celtic were knocked out of the Champions League by Cluj, Aberdeen got an absolute pumping off a team they knocked out a few years ago and Kilmarnock lost to a team from the League of Wales.

I've been watching Scottish football since 1982.  It's part of my life.  I'd rather we actually acknowledged where we are and tried to improve it rather than give up on it.

If you think Scottish football is value for money, good quality, that Scottish game is on the way up, that we are competing successfully at European and International level, fine.  I don't and the fact that I actually care about my club and country doesn't preclude criticism.

Why should Aberdeen be beating Rijeka exactly? And it was a two nil loss in each leg, not exactly a massive pumping. Cluj have been in the Champions League often. Why should Celtic be beating them automatically? I think some folk still think we should be some sort of force in Europe whilst teams from other countries should still be diddies easily swept aside.

Sadly those countries have progressed loads whilst we've pretty much stood still, meaning they've overtaken us and others will do so soon.

I've never once said Scottish football is good value for money, good quality, that the Scottish game is on the way up, that we are competing successfully at European and international level. How did you extrapolate that? And imply that I somehow don't care about my club?

We don't get 2 Champions League places.
We get 2 qualifying chances.
Celtic have failed to qualify three seasons in a row being knocked out by Ferencvaros, Cluj and AEK.
The last time they did qualify they lost 5 out of 6 group matches with a -13 goal difference.
Currently we are 0.575 points off dropping back.
Celtic qualified for the knockout stage after 4 games of the group stage of the Europa League last season and beat Lazio home and away. You also had Rangers beating Porto, Feyenoord and Braga.

57 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Why do all these footballers have fax machines?

Have to admit when I read earlier in the week that Messi's representatives had faxed a transfer request to Barcelona, i was thinking who the f**k has a fax machine?! They've been out of fashion since about 1995, and even back then hardly any c**t used them!