Queen's Park 2020/21

1 hour ago, ThroughtheTurnstiles said:

Not much to complain about after the first round of games we presume? Or are things a bit lacklustre under McKinnon so far, despite being pole position? 

If lacklustre consists of being undefeated and being 5 points clear at top having now played everyone in the league, then here’s hoping for more lacklustre seasons to come. In all seriousness, the expectancy that some may have that we should be winning games by 3/4/5 goal margins each week is bonkers and this may contribute to people’s perceptions of a lacklustre start. Teams will see us a free hit most weeks and ultimately performance levels of the opposition are more likely to increase exponentially meaning the onus is on us to maintain the high standards that have already been set from the players.

Edited by qpfc

27 minutes ago, qpfc said:

If lacklustre consists of being undefeated and being 5 points clear at top having now played everyone in the league, then here’s hoping for more lacklustre seasons to come. In all seriousness, the expectancy that some may have that we should be winning games by 3/4/5 goal margins each week is bonkers and this may contribute to people’s perceptions of a lacklustre start. Teams will see us a free hit most weeks and ultimately performance levels of the opposition are more likely to increase exponentially meaning the onus is on us to maintain the high standards that have already been set from the players.

Yeah well said, couldn't agree with you more. Just know there's some fans out there that will have that opinion. That's a level-headed approach to it. You can't be asking for much more 👍

Watching the QP cup game tonight. I hadn’t quite appreciated the players QP had this season apart from one or two. A lot of higher league experience and all full time I believe. A deserved win although you made hard work if it. 
A genuine question, does anyone know how much is being put into the club by sponsors/benefactors? And is there a medium to long term model in terms of club progression and sustainability? 
I’m genuinely interested, no Clyde fan animosity in the question. Way things are going, you can wave to us in passing on your way up this year. 

18 minutes ago, sydney said:

Watching the QP cup game tonight. I hadn’t quite appreciated the players QP had this season apart from one or two. A lot of higher league experience and all full time I believe. A deserved win although you made hard work if it. 
A genuine question, does anyone know how much is being put into the club by sponsors/benefactors? And is there a medium to long term model in terms of club progression and sustainability? 
I’m genuinely interested, no Clyde fan animosity in the question. Way things are going, you can wave to us in passing on your way up this year. 

I am sure there are others more in the know than I but Willie Haughey has apparently agreed to meet the wage bill for ten years and we see where we go from there. Immediate, this season, aim is promotion and then to become an established team in league one with the hopes of pushing on to the Championship. The main aim is not be in what will become the league of death League 2 now that the pyramid system is in full swing. I can see at least four or five teams in there just now who have little long term future at this level. I would be disappointed if we lost the opportunity to thrash Clyde four times a season 🤣

9 minutes ago, williebraveheart said:

I am sure there are others more in the know than I but Willie Haughey has apparently agreed to meet the wage bill for ten years and we see where we go from there. Immediate, this season, aim is promotion and then to become an established team in league one with the hopes of pushing on to the Championship. The main aim is not be in what will become the league of death League 2 now that the pyramid system is in full swing. I can see at least four or five teams in there just now who have little long term future at this level. I would be disappointed if we lost the opportunity to thrash Clyde four times a season 🤣

Hahaha ! Love it ! 
thanks for the info. That’s some commitment from Willie Haughey. Exciting times for QP fans. With that kind of backing, you should be looking at Championship football in the not too distant future. Sustainability will be the key though. That’s where we failed big time. Threw everything at getting to the SPL, and should have got there to be fair, but when we didn’t it all unraveled spectacularly and we’ve never recovered, nearly 2 decades later. Haughey’s a clever businessman though and I’d be amazed if this isn’t a consideration. 

Noticed btw that Peter Grant was wearing the German captains armband tonight. Was in Wattenscheid last year (great wee club, sadly financially fecked) and saw one or two QP scarfs amongst the home fans. Tried to educate them in the errors of their ways over a beer but to no avail. 

Now that the nerves and frustration have cleared, I'm obviously glad we're in the next round. Criminally wasteful in front of goal and lacking choosing the right option in the final third at times. We've hit the woodwork four times, God knows how many narrowly wide, a number of deliveries that just needed a touch, and had a stonewall penalty decision reversed. We have to be more clinical than we were. Bluebell, to their credit, took their chance and it nearly bit us on the arse. As much as you have to give them credit for their work rate and staying in the game, we caused ourselves far more problems than they did. If it'd been 4-0 or 5-0, it wouldn't have been harsh in terms of chances created and general play in the game.

Far, far more stressful that it ever should have been, but we're in the hat and Queen of the South is a game we can win. More important, though, is getting the points at Cliftonhill on Saturday if it survives the weather. We cannot afford to pass up the number of opportunities we did today or we could find ourselves dropping points. Their league position doesn't make good reading and their result against Buckie was a shocker, but they fling the odd result in. They won down at Annan and beat a very handy Elgin side. We must be more ruthless in killing teams off.

It was a very entertaining game to watch last night . A lot of neat football played by Queens , resilient , well organised stuff from Dundonald.  A good showpiece for lower league and non league football and a refreshing change from the awful stuff we are currently enduring at the glebe. Easy to see why Queens are running away with the league as they are confident , comfortable on the ball and could easily have been comfortable winners had the chances been taken . But credit to Dundonald for not caving in . They kept their shape and discipline and sneaked an equaliser when perhaps Queens eased up thinking they had done enough. 

Good to see Fozzy doing a good job in the Dundonald dugout . He was one of life's characters . I bet the dressing room is a crazy place at times. 

12 hours ago, sydney said:

Noticed btw that Peter Grant was wearing the German captains armband tonight. Was in Wattenscheid last year (great wee club, sadly financially fecked) and saw one or two QP scarfs amongst the home fans. Tried to educate them in the errors of their ways over a beer but to no avail. 

More than 100 of this year's QP tops ordered from Germany already.  We're bigger than Bayern!

4 hours ago, theoriginalhedge said:

It was a very entertaining game to watch last night . A lot of neat football played by Queens , resilient , well organised stuff from Dundonald.  A good showpiece for lower league and non league football and a refreshing change from the awful stuff we are currently enduring at the glebe. Easy to see why Queens are running away with the league as they are confident , comfortable on the ball and could easily have been comfortable winners had the chances been taken . But credit to Dundonald for not caving in . They kept their shape and discipline and sneaked an equaliser when perhaps Queens eased up thinking they had done enough. 

Good to see Fozzy doing a good job in the Dundonald dugout . He was one of life's characters . I bet the dressing room is a crazy place at times. 

Agreed sir; there was a lot of good footballl played last night. A credit to the lower leagues. 

Last night’s game was actually a similar trend to most of our league games this season, lots of possession, dominating midfield, tidy at the back, lots of chances, mostly squandered. The ratios might have been different but the pattern was the same. The sense of relief at the end probably due to the reasonable, on this occasion, high expectations.

At 60 mins I was screaming to have Galt and Slater on to attack down the middle. The wide balls, plentiful, we’re having little real impact. We needed players to draw out defenders and make some space. Sure, we won the game but at 90 mins Dundonald had forced a draw. If some of the league’s coaches can figure out how we play, every week, like the Dundonald coach clearly did, then we might start dropping points. 

So, round two of league matches starts this week. I’ll go first and boldly forecast we’re not getting relegated this season. After that, If we can improve on the Attempts conversion rate we should walk the league. But I’m still not seeing a ruthless killing machine here. Still too many players keen to pass rather than have a go. And with such a big squad, constantly reforming midfield and attack isn’t helpful. With such a short season, suspensions and injuries should be less so Ray’s going to have to be strong at some stage on what his preferred starting eleven should be. And mix up the tactics a bit during the game.

MotM: Gillespie. Almost single handedly kept Dundonald penned in their own half.

Calling veterans of the the pre-season tours to the North of England in Cowboy's days - I'm trying to piece together the games/results/scorers etc and I've got the details for 1998 (Won 2-1 at Penrith on the Saturday and lost 0-2 at Workington the following day) and 1999 (lost 2-7 at Morecambe on the Friday and lost 1-2 at Gretna on the Sunday.

However, I'm struggling for some details from the 2000 and 2001 trips - can anyone recall where we went/scores?

2000 - Won at Burscough on the Friday and lost at Barrow on the Sunday -  missing scores/scorers.

2001 - Sunday, played Lancaster City, missing result. Also, who did we play on the Friday (was there a cricket ground next to the football ground)? 

2002 was a 1-3 defeat at Lancaster City on the Friday and a 3-1 win at Gretna on the Sunday.

Been through old programmes but still missing the details above, anyone able to cast their minds back?

Edited to add - was it Kendal on the Friday night in 2001?

Edited by qpsnapper

26 minutes ago, qpsnapper said:

Calling veterans of the the pre-season tours to the North of England in Cowboy's days - I'm trying to piece together the games/results/scorers etc and I've got the details for 1998 (Won 2-1 at Penrith on the Saturday and lost 0-2 at Workington the following day) and 1999 (lost 2-7 at Morecambe on the Friday and lost 1-2 at Gretna on the Sunday.

However, I'm struggling for some details from the 2000 and 2001 trips - can anyone recall where we went/scores?

2000 - Won at Burscough on the Friday and lost at Barrow on the Sunday -  missing scores/scorers.

2001 - Sunday, played Lancaster City, missing result. Also, who did we play on the Friday (was there a cricket ground next to the football ground)? 

2002 was a 1-3 defeat at Lancaster City on the Friday and a 3-1 win at Gretna on the Sunday.

Been through old programmes but still missing the details above, anyone able to cast their minds back?

Edited to add - was it Kendal on the Friday night in 2001?

We definitely played in Kendal on a Friday night.

I remember missing most of the Burscough game because of traffic on the M6 on my drive up from Coventry. Not quite sure what the score was but Ryan Scobie definitely scored the winning goal. Remember Barrow being a shitehole and I think we lost 0-2.