Queen's Park 2020/21

On 22 June 2020 at 22:09, an86 said:

A lot of variables involved. There are clubs in the Championship with less resources than we now have. Gretna also showed that you can essentially start from scratch and end up in the top flight if you throw enough money. I'm uneasy even thinking about it, though. We're in League Two and ultimately our one and only ambition should be getting out of that. Start assuming about climbing beyond that and you can quite easily be bitten on the arse. 

In terms of the market for us, I think it's there. Not massive, but enough to make a difference. The Southside has gone from not an awful lot happening to becoming, arguably, the most vibrant part of Glasgow in recent years. A lot of independent places opening and a lot of folk moving in. Get the sense that people are looking for something a wee bit different and we're certainly that in terms of football in Glasgow. I've no problem with us becoming a hipster team. It's long been my view that we should be trying to frame ourselves as the team for the southside of the city. 

I think there's existing goodwill there for us. You get a number of reactions from folk including patronising and mockery, but there's a good number with a soft spot, watch for the scores etc. Need to find a way of getting these folk along. I've never heard anyone local say "I fucking hate Queen's Park" which is a positive. It's a crowded market but if you were given the option of something to sell in Glasgow, football would probably be high on the list. 

Only problem i see with any of that is admission price. 

It costs me £6 to watch Pollok. If they (Pollok) were to move into the LL within the next few years (highly likely) it's still £6 or the equivalent allowing for rising prices. 

Would i be prepared to pay double or more to watch say, Queens v Talbot.

I doubt it.

1 hour ago, Glasgow1999 said:

I think if you look back, people were posting on this forum comments about going for another vote and how soon that could happen.

On 28/10/2019 at 13:58, The Spider said:

Yes for your first sentence, but I respectfully suggest you are completely wrong with your second. If the motion fails but has a majority support, as a democrat personally I see nothing wrong with The President making the argument that a majority of members are in favour of the motion and appealing to those who voted against to change their minds in a second vote at another EGM. Now you are perfectly at liberty to say you disagree with that line of thought, but I simply ask how would that be illegal per the comparison I made with Muirfield Golf Club?

I don't have an issue with a second vote but I think that there has to be a large clear majority in favour of the change. For me anything above 66% merits a second vote as you have double the number of Members for it than against it.

2 hours ago, Glasgow1999 said:

I think if you look back, people were posting on this forum comments about going for another vote and how soon that could happen.

Lockdown boredom drove me to have a look at posts on here at the time and I couldn't see one QP fan mentioning another vote. 

2 hours ago, Tutankhamen said:

Only problem i see with any of that is admission price. 

It costs me £6 to watch Pollok. If they (Pollok) were to move into the LL within the next few years (highly likely) it's still £6 or the equivalent allowing for rising prices. 

Would i be prepared to pay double or more to watch say, Queens v Talbot.

I doubt it.

I watch Pollok when I can and it's great value for £6 and you do get the occasional bit of madness. However, the standard of football is a fair bit better at Queen's. Teams that move up will incur higher costs (travel to away games and a bigger, paid, player pool for starters). I can't see Pollok or Talbot fans paying £12 either which is why the pyramid isn't for them.

41 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

I watch Pollok when I can and it's great value for £6 and you do get the occasional bit of madness. However, the standard of football is a fair bit better at Queen's. Teams that move up will incur higher costs (travel to away games and a bigger, paid, player pool for starters). I can't see Pollok or Talbot fans paying £12 either which is why the pyramid isn't for them.

No amateurs at the Queens.

2 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Lockdown boredom drove me to have a look at posts on here at the time and I couldn't see one QP fan mentioning another vote. 

See earlier post for just two examples, there are more. However it does not really matter. Point I was making was that it was irrational to believe if your side of the argument lossed and you did not agree with outcome, you would have no interest in what was happening.

See earlier post for just two examples, there are more. However it does not really matter. Point I was making was that it was irrational to believe if your side of the argument lossed and you did not agree with outcome, you would have no interest in what was happening.

Look I do feel this is going around in circles a bit. Even if the vote was unanimous, it was clear there was going to be folk upset about the changes and I can understand your feelings about not wanting to come back.

I do hope we can prove to you that the spirit of the club hasn’t changed and we can hopefully see you at a game in a few years down the line.

6 hours ago, NathanQP said:

Look I do feel this is going around in circles a bit. Even if the vote was unanimous, it was clear there was going to be folk upset about the changes and I can understand your feelings about not wanting to come back.

I do hope we can prove to you that the spirit of the club hasn’t changed and we can hopefully see you at a game in a few years down the line.

Thank you, but I have drawn a line now.

7 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

We've signed Creag Little. Is he good? What kind of player should we expect?

In my opinion he needed his mate Nicky Jamieson to cover his mistakes. That said I think he can make a decent League Two defender but no more. His distribution needs improving.

19 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

We've signed Creag Little. Is he good? What kind of player should we expect?

He wasn’t amazing by any means but overall he did a decent enough job when he played. Decent in the air but like the previous post said, his centre back partner Jamieson had to cover for him often. Good luck to him however 

40 minutes ago, qpfc said:

That’s Kurtis Roberts released from Airdrie now. Would certainly take him back if we have the chance 

Aye. We're going to need depth and competition. Certainly worth a look. 

Hearing Jamieson is actually contemplating retirement: word is his work was complaining about the amount of time he was off with a concussion. If there's truth to it thats a shame: there's a real player in there!

I wonder where Jamieson will end up, Stenny might be inclined to snap him up too

8 hours ago, qpfc said:

That’s Kurtis Roberts released from Airdrie now. Would certainly take him back if we have the chance 

Kurtis' face never seemed to fit with the management at AIrdrie for whatever reason. He was popular with the fans though and most, or at least a significant proportion would have been happy to see him stay. He offered our midfield a bit of dynamism, spark and energy that it otherwise lacked. His only real sustained run in the team happened to come during our best of run of the season when we went top of the league. It wasn't a coincidence. But, if I remember correctly, he picked up a knock, missed a game and then never really got a chance again after that. And our midfield was worse off for it. There was talk, including from our DoF, that it was to do with his fitness but I was never convinced that was truthfully or fully the reason. The whole thing was a bit odd. 

He was part-time with us but trained at least one extra day with the team so, while I don't know what he does outside of football, full-time football or some sort of compromise might be able to be reached. I think he'd be an asset for most teams in League 1 or League 2. I wish him well and I'm sorry things never worked out for him. Could well come back to haunt us!

2 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Shame for Kurtis as his folks are Airdrie fans. I'd have him back in a flash.

Me too but there’s a wee voice in my head saying it’s not suited to Mckinnons plans. Just the manner in which he cleared the squad and is recruiting chaps he has relations with makes me think he won’t be bringing anyone back to the club who left in previous seasons. Could be wrong but I feel he’s set out a clear direction and won’t have anyone in who's worked under previous QP coaches.  

1 hour ago, QPSpider1867 said:

Could be wrong but I feel he’s set out a clear direction and won’t have anyone in who's worked under previous QP coaches.  

...apart from the two players he has re-signed who first signed for us under MacPherson then re-signed for us under Roberts.

If he thinks a player is good enough he'll sign him

Correct. It's a buyer's market with, unfortunately for them, stacks of players who don't have a club. Ray can afford to take his time and build his own team. I wouldn't be surprised if some of last year's team are back; it depends on who else is available in his position.