Queen's Park 2020/21

Whenever the season starts I will not be there. This is a completely different club now who are no longer the under dogs, instead most games will now be favourites due to budget. Seeing the young player of the season signing for another club sums it all up really. It will not be long until a team is fielded with no experience of playing at ameuter level, which will be a further sad day for me if no one else.

There's no evidence that Moore would have stayed if we remained amateur. He might have wanted a change and a chance of money like many before him.

1 hour ago, Glasgow1999 said:

Yes you are right, the vote took place and things are changing in my opinion not for the better. So, just speaking for myself I will not carry on but many more will and are very happy with the changes.

I don't see how accepting advertising revenue detracted from being amateur?

I don't see how ex pro's playing for no payment detracted from being amateur? Don't agree that once you have been paid you can never be an amateur again.

I don't see how paying officials and other employees results in players paying for no pay, not being amateur.

For me the club was very different and now has become the same as every other.

It's just my opinion and choice nothing more or less.

We had full-time professionals on loan playing for us when we were amateur, so professional footballers playing for Queen's Park has been happening for two decades. 

The need to feel special and unique has never bothered me. The idea that we somehow have to stand tall and somehow be morally superior is not for me. Every club is unique to their own fans and we're not better than anyone, just as no other club at this level is better than us. 

We have a great history, but what's the point in a history if we don't have a future? That's where remaining amateur within the pyramid was taking us. Nobody can ever take away our history, but we can now look forward to a bright future. It's a shame you don't want to be part of it. 

4 hours ago, Glasgow1999 said:

Whenever the season starts I will not be there. This is a completely different club now who are no longer the under dogs, instead most games will now be favourites due to budget. Seeing the young player of the season signing for another club sums it all up really. It will not be long until a team is fielded with no experience of playing at ameuter level, which will be a further sad day for me if no one else.

...and yet here you are. Still reading QP threads, still posting about QP and obviously still taking an interest in what is happening at QP

I do hope you find something else that can lift your spirits on a Saturday afternoon as you sound pretty miserable right now . The Caledonian League might be an option for you.  Best of luck.   

8 minutes ago, an86 said:

We had full-time professionals on loan playing for us when we were amateur, so professional footballers playing for Queen's Park has been happening for two decades. 

Yes. Let's not forget we've also had full time pro head coaches. 

The snobbery from a group of our fans towards professional football over the years has been remarkable considering we have been playing in a league against other professional teams since 1900. 

Genuinely very sorry to hear that there are people who feel this way. Of course you are entitled to your opinion, but I do hope you will continue to stick with us in the future.
I voted for the move to professionalism, and I am still 100% convinced that it is the right thing for the club going forward, however I will admit that I understand where you're coming from with regards to the likes of Moore and Jamieson moving on. As I've said before I had hoped that some of our younger players (particularly the likes of McGrory and McGee who had worked their way through the youth ranks) could have been signed up and given the chance in the new setup.
I hope that in time we will produce even better players through an improved development system, that can play at a high level in the game.
True, we are no longer the last bastion of amateurism (and its debatable when we really last were) but for many of us that's not why we support Queens. We now can (I hope) focus on being a successful local club with strong links to our community, still the underdog in this countries biggest city, without the baggage associated with the other clubs we share it with. We have the opportunity to build a fanbase and fill our new home with people who choose QP as 'their' club, regardless of history, finances, amateurism or professionalism, but because they feel welcome and attached to it.
I'm excited about the future, and the journey we're going on, and I really hope that you and others who feel the same way will continue to be part of it.

22 hours ago, Skol1867 said:

Jamieson had a fine season after making the step up from the Juniors but it has been pretty clear from the start that Mckinnon has his own ideas about players and what he looks for.   As far as I can recall there have been hardly any players who have recently been released by Queen's and gone on to have good careers in Scottish football. Will be interesting to see if Jamieson or even Moore can change that.

Think the only players I can recall doing decent at our level having been deemed not good enough at QP is Ross Dunlop and joao Victoria. Thomas Collins just signed for East Fife although unproven as of yet 

On 23/06/2020 at 15:05, QPSpider1867 said:

https://spfl.co.uk/news/ladbrokes-league-2-team-of-the-season-defenders 

Vote for Nicky Jamieson. I was gutted he was released tbh. Thought he had so much to offer.  I’ll be raising questions if there isn’t a top quality replacement because Nicky was my man of the season. He didn’t leave because of work priorities he was just let go.

Was a massive fan of Jamieson and for me, probably had the biggest potential in terms of playing at a higher division. He was unfortunate that he picked up an injury which gave Morrison the opportunity to play in his natural position and If I’m not mistaken I don’t think we conceded a goal with Morrison and Grant at the back? If Morrison does sign permanently, I’ll be delighted at that. Just need to back Mckinnon’s judgement 

1 hour ago, qpfc said:

Think the only players I can recall doing decent at our level having been deemed not good enough at QP is Ross Dunlop and joao Victoria. Thomas Collins just signed for East Fife although unproven as of yet 

In the case of Ross Dunlop that might have something to do with the fact we played him in every outfield position at some stage other than the one he has since gone on to excel in 

37 minutes ago, Spider Rico said:

In the case of Ross Dunlop that might have something to do with the fact we played him in every outfield position at some stage other than the one he has since gone on to excel in 

Ross Dunlop went and played junior for three seasons before coming back into the senior game, not sure he was ready for a regular starting slot at the point he left.

He would also have had the likes of Richard Sinclair, Ricky Little and James Brough ahead of him in the queue for a central defensive place, would you have picked him ahead of them at that time?

22 minutes ago, JT1867 said:

He would also have had the likes of Richard Sinclair, Ricky Little and James Brough ahead of him in the queue for a central defensive place, would you have picked him ahead of them at that time?

No.

Don’t think any of us were crying out for him to get a game at centre half, just always found it odd as I don’t think he ever even played there in the reserves (could be wrong on that of course).

Whoever the Junior coach who first picked him there was deserved a lot of credit I guess 

6 minutes ago, Mick1867 said:

Scored the winner against Clyde at Broadwood when we were pish. Proven 😛

Possibly the funniest win in history. Don't think anyone believed we were getting anything other than pumped that day. 

8 minutes ago, HoustonSpider99 said:

Club touting news 'about our future' as a Club on Social Media at 8pm. Hoping its the kit?

Most likely. They mentioned in the club LinkedIn page that an announcement in kit deal would be soon.

Either that or its about the stadium build. Start date and/or naming rights potentially 

2 hours ago, HoustonSpider99 said:

Could compare Thomas Collins to Archie MacPherson, didn't score goals often at all but didn't stop running. That said, i was impressed by him when i saw BSC against Hibs.

Thomas Collins has really developed as a player under Stephen Swift. He'll do very well at East Fife. Was really unlucky not to score to make it 2-2 just before half-time in that game. Cracking wee player.

Excited for the prospects of the Club. Obvious tinge of regret at the stadium move and change of status but there's no point being the most principled team in the lowland league - onwards and upwards! 

As for the crowds - there's definitely space to position us as the southside 'alternative' team. The best way to get punters through the door is probably success on the park tho - it's what got me going regularly in 99.