Queen's Park 2020/21

20 hours ago, bobthespider said:

Does the new manager know where we are playing in a couple of months or is it a secret

Still a secret until the host club give it the ok to announce it. And , no, I don't know where it is either.

Edited by Hampden Diehard

3 hours ago, Mick1867 said:

Falkirk signed four players the other week when they didn't have a manager.

The lack of communication is pish. Wish folk would stop making excuses for it, we're supposed to be a full time club now 

The lack of communication is indeed pish but do we want to be a club signing players the manager might not want? Seems daft to me. Maybe why Falkirk failed to be promoted if that's their idea of business.

The new guy needs to take stock and his ideas of players to be retained might the different from Ray's. FFS it's only 1st June; hunners of time year to sign up players. Keep the Faith.

15 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

The lack of communication is indeed pish but do we want to be a club signing players the manager might not want? Seems daft to me. 

Well obviously not. The point was that even clubs without managers are more communicative about things in general than we are.

Aye it's only 1st June but first game is 10 July and pre-season training will be starting very soon indeed. 

1 hour ago, Arachnophile said:

I feel like I've stumbled into a meeting of the Battlefield local history society.

Most enlightening.

The question was in relation to the possibility of underground subsidence during the Lesser building works. But it’s been an interesting learning just the same. Thanks to all who shared.

1 hour ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

The question was in relation to the possibility of underground subsidence during the Lesser building works. But it’s been an interesting learning just the same. Thanks to all who shared.

If there was issues with subsidence in the area I think it would have been discovered in 1998 when the West Stand was rebuilt, the size/weight/depth of the pilings for that will have been far bigger than anything required for Lesser.

And, just to continue the Mallsmire discussion, the map attached shows the Hampden area in 1888. Most land boundary lines on the map are straight lines, but I think the one I have highlighted is following Mallsmire as it meanders somewhat at times.

If it is, it looks like it would go under the pitch at the south west corner as previously mentioned and then comes out around the south east corner.

Malls Mire.png

Edited by qpsnapper

1 hour ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

There's been possibility of subsidence whenever I've been in the QP Social club... :cheers

5 hours ago, qpsnapper said:

I've never heard it referred to as Jenny's Burn - always Mallsmire Burn. 

A while back I saw a map in the Mitchell Library from the time of construction of third Hampden and it showed Mallsmire running as Dooflick says, think it would be roughly in line with the tunnel entrance at the West end of the stadium nowadays.

A map I have of the area from 1910 shows Mallsmire Burn resurfacing in Toryglen, approximately where the back of the main Toryglen Football Centre building is now. 

Yes, as a wee boy in the 50s what we called the swamp started just behind the pub and the Esso filling station on Aikenhead Road. We were forbidden by our parents because it was dangerous. We of course played there as often as we could. It was a vast area of wetlands, lakes, reeds mixed between dumped slag and mud and stretched up to the end of the football pitch at the training centre. It continued across the other side of Prospecthill Road where Asda is and went over to where the Cleansing Dept is now and up to Prospecthill Circus. The burn ran off towards the Clyde at Polmadie. Memories are made of this. Swans used to nest there and I remember falling in once up to my neck. So much for Health and Safety.

3 hours ago, qpsnapper said:

If there was issues with subsidence in the area I think it would have been discovered in 1998 when the West Stand was rebuilt, the size/weight/depth of the pilings for that will have been far bigger than anything required for Lesser.

And, just to continue the Mallsmire discussion, the map attached shows the Hampden area in 1888. Most land boundary lines on the map are straight lines, but I think the one I have highlighted is following Mallsmire as it meanders somewhat at times.

If it is, it looks like it would go under the pitch at the south west corner as previously mentioned and then comes out around the south east corner.

Malls Mire.png

Not buying it. No way was yellow markers around in 1888.

Just from looking at National Library of Scotland and their map collection, here is a Map Tiler -topo showing the route of a spring / burn  under hampden. It fed into the MallsMire Burn at Aitkenhead road.

on older maps of the area there was a well that fed this spring / burn (roughly where the pin is placed)

image.thumb.png.26022a642d5ce09b447b1322a797cb2c.png

7 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Still a secret until the host club give it the ok to announce it. And , no, I don't know where it is either.

Meadowbank isn't ready, Edinburgh City are playing League Cup games on Friday night, and there's no obvious clash with Spartans....

It's Ainslie Park :lol:

2 hours ago, Boris the Spider said:

Where is the Celtic end at Hampden?

Opposite the Rangers end.

The stadium tour tells visitors that regardless of who was officially the home team i.e. out the hat first, if it was the Old Firm Rangers dugout was at the west side and Celtic at the east. Apparently on police instructions as back in the day the vast majority of their support lived within a few miles of Ibrox or Parkhead respectively and walked to the game.

Edited by Bring Your Own Socks