Queen's Park 2020/21

30 minutes ago, Mick1867 said:

It's completely driving it. It definitely isn't a blank cheque and Haughey has given us a specific budget for the next 8 years to fund full time football 

Hopefully we'll know more about the rest of the club's finances and operations  after the AGM next month

If Ray McKinnon was not sacked, why did he leave? Money reasons, perhaps?

6 hours ago, Zanetti said:

Honestly, I'm fairly happy with that. You have to assume he's confident that he can get more out of this squad than McKinnon was able to.

The wording of "head coach" and his relative lack of experience does lead me to believe that the club may also be planning on bringing in a director of football too.

Same titles as Ray had....

https://queensparkfc.co.uk/ray-mckinnon/

1 hour ago, Mick1867 said:

To be fair to you, it's not shite at all to assume that because a lot of us did. The club statement when he left didn't really make it clear hence why we were speculating about so many different names that could potentially get the job. 

Funny to think how so far off we were on this.  

The drift surely came from the assumption that as McKinnon was needed at L2 then an even more experienced person would be needed for the next jump. This move says consolidation to me. Back to the Alloa model rather than Aberdeen.

Also, if the stadium fiasco is messing the working cashflow maybe Ray’s talent list was too much. Like many senior managers Ray would want to buy players and make it work. Laurie more likely to develop what’s available. 

2 hours ago, Mick1867 said:

Care to expand on this?

Laurie is a hard worker and will try very hard to get everyone in the squad moving forward and singing from the same hymn sheet. Make what you will of that.😉

I wish you and QP all the very best with Laurie at the helm. Queens have always been a club I've been interested in since the days of Peter Buchanan and Junior Omand thanks to a family friend who supported the club way back in the 1950's. Aye! A long time ago now😊

It's certainly going to be more interesting for me again now that Laurie is at the helm.

Bit of a surprise and maybe a tiny wee bit underwhelming after the rampant speculation on here!  But I know he was really well rated by the club the more I think about it, it seems like a good fit. 

Stepping up after being number two always a bit of a gamble. But hopefully he’ll be well received by the squad and it’ll be a nice transition. I do hope he’s got a bit more in the tactical locker than Ray though. At times it was basically ‘be fitter than the other lot and hope we score in the 2nd half’. 

Looking forward to seeing who he brings in (if anyone) and then how the squad shapes up. Bring it on. 

My immediate reaction to the appointment, like others have mentioned, was maybe a tiny wee bit underwhelmed considering the opportunity that may have arose for some reasonably sized names(not Mackay) but after being able to process it, I really do think this could be a shrewd appointment. Albeit, appointing anyone for their first venture into management will always have an element of risk 

From what I’ve heard, he’s highly respected amongst the players and seems to have a very sound level of knowledge in relation to his coaching. Having a few years experience as assistant manager will hopefully have benefited him

From the small number of games we were able to watch live under the McKinnon reign, it was apparent that Ellis was very vocal throughout the games, which just as a personal preference is something I like to see from a manager 

A big congratulations to Laurie Ellis on his step up from Assistant to Head Coach.

Ironically, today at Hampden saw the perfect example of that very transition being hugely successful, as Calum Davidson led St Johnstone to a historic double cup win; having just been himself promoted from assistant, in his his first season as a Head Coach following on from a hugely successful predecessor.

Like many others, I didn't see Laurie's "elevation" coming, having been caught up in the speculation surrounding possible successors to RayMac.

I'm sure Laurie will have his own ideas on the current squad's abilities and the team tactics required to get the best results for the club. He's got a decent amount of time, to decide who stays and who he'd like to bring in, before the season is scheduled to start on 10th July with the League Cup group stage. And I'm sure fellow supporters on here will have plenty of "advice" to help him along.

Some have called Laurie's appointment "underwhelming";  perhaps St Johnstone fans thought the same, as their team languished bottom of their league, earlier this season, after 4 games without scoring a goal.

I think judgement should be reserved, and the guy given a chance to show us what he can do. The step-up won't be easy, after last season's wonderful end result, and with our expectations increased, his task will be well scrutinised.

The use of the term "underwhelmed" made me realise, that that's the word I would use to describe the recent behaviour of our Club's Committee and CEO. The lack of communication with members and supporters speaks volumes for their inability to empathise with those people who are the backbone of any football club. It was interesting that someone posted that the club had sent out a brief update to members on Laurie Ellis's appointment, shortly before it was announced publicly.

How difficult would it have been to use that same method to update the members, on the other recent events; surrounding the collapse of work on Lesser and where we will/won't be playing our games in the immediate future. Word would then have filtered down to the rank and file by the usual channels.

I must admit when Leann Dempster's appointment was announced; I believed the usual archaic way of doing things by the QP Committee would change and be brought in line with modern methods of communication, how underwhelming her efforts have been so far.

I'm obviously a bit biased because of Ellis' connection with the Rovers, but I think this is a great appointment. 

He's a bright, intelligent, hard working and thoroughly decent guy who knows your squad, but just as importantly, knows league one and what it takes to win it. 

One of football's real good guys. 

All the best for next season. 

19 hours ago, Vimto90 said:

How was Bernard Coll at the Spiders?

Didn’t play too often but he was out of his depth when he did, just a young boy at the time mind.

Seems to have improved at East Kilbride and Forfar Athletic though. 

11 hours ago, Specky Ginger said:

I'm obviously a bit biased because of Ellis' connection with the Rovers, but I think this is a great appointment. 

He's a bright, intelligent, hard working and thoroughly decent guy who knows your squad, but just as importantly, knows league one and what it takes to win it. 

One of football's real good guys. 

All the best for next season. 

We’re just training him up for a big team like Raith. Still giving after all these years 😉

2 hours ago, mr_malcolm said:

He’s not a football player . Absolute pish

It is you Mr.Malcolm who is talking absolute pish. Young Mr.Coll was up against Andy Robertson at QP. If I remember rightly he scored with 3 penalties  in the final of the Reseve cup against Ayr, when I think Ayr had a young goalkeeper called William Muir. When Mr.Coll got into the QP team ( after Andy went to Dundee Utd ) he fell out QP and ended up at EK. He is a decent young player and if he has just signed for Stenhousemuir you have a decent player for next season

1 hour ago, Dooflick said:

He is a decent young player and if he has just signed for Stenhousemuir you have a decent player for next season

Think you've diagnosed him with QP youth player syndrome. Young forever. He's nearly 27.