Queen's Park 2020/21

53 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

The wording of "head coach" and his relative lack of experience does lead me to believe that the club may also be planning on bringing in a director of football too.

Our managers have always been officially called "head coach" by the club. But who knows what is coming next? I never saw this appointment coming but I'm pretty cool with it. Apparently an excellent coach on the training ground. My hope is he is a very frustrated assistant with more expansive tactics than Raymondo. Rather than a DOF, he may well bring in a very experienced coach as his assistant.   

54 minutes ago, Ben Reilly said:

Especially given that the reason we let Mark Roberts go was because we wanted to bring in someone with experience of managing a playing budget. 

That was just one of the reasons he was punted. He didn't coach any players (if you believe what players and other coaches said) and training mainly consisted of five a side games with him joining in still wanting to be one of the lads. Decent guy though and he delivered a couple of famous results during his time. 

I must admit, I didn't see this coming. The more I think about it the more I think it could be a very shrewd move. His coaching qualifications are top drawer, he knows the players and I think they will be happy to play for him which is important. The only thing I am not sure of is his contacts. They may be excellent but I just don't know. This cries out to me that a Director of Football will be appointed in the near future. I look forward to seeing team developments now and Oh! that communication promised by Leann. I also notice that David Hunter is alive and still with us. Who would have guessed?

Edited by williebraveheart

This is a good appointment. I believe that Ray initially felt League 2 was beneath him and was hesitant in taking on the QP role. Passing the role to Laurie makes sense, he knows the players and set up; with lots of change at the club necessary, having some consistency on the playing side is good management.  

Surprised at how much the Queens Park fans are welcoming this with open arms. Surely you would’ve been better off just keeping McKinnon instead of promoting his assistant? Was it McKinnon’s choice to walk? If so then fair enough, perhaps the board don’t want to rock the boat to much. I was expecting a real upgrade on McKinnon to be appointed, perhaps even a slightly bigger name given some of the bookies lists etc.

5 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Surprised at how much the Queens Park fans are welcoming this with open arms. Surely you would’ve been better off just keeping McKinnon instead of promoting his assistant? Was it McKinnon’s choice to walk? If so then fair enough, perhaps the board don’t want to rock the boat to much. I was expecting a real upgrade on McKinnon to be appointed, perhaps even a slightly bigger name given some of the bookies lists etc.

This is an upgrade. Young, ambitious and wants to be there!

The appointment of Ellis has made McKinnon’s  departure from all the more curious. Was McKinnon relived of his duties as head coach by whoever makes such decision at QP now or did he walk?  

If he was relived of his duties, I personally feel it’s  naive to believe that Ellis was the clubs first choice. With all the speculation on this board alone - Ellis is a underwhelming appointment . I of course wish him all success next season, and if the club continues an upward trajectory, it will prove to be a shrewd appointment. 

Perhaps a DoF is part of Dempsters new exciting model. Nice of her to acknowledge on Twitter today her communication with the fans has so far been pish poor. 

Bring on next season! 

The great unknown is the club's current financial position. Willie Haughey has not provided a blank cheque and a great deal of money has been spent. To what extent is finance dictating the direction in which the club is travelling?

To all Spider's fans you've appointed a decent coach and a very hard working guy who will do well for you. Laurie is great guy away from the pitch but not so much on it or pitch side. Come back to me in a years time and throw this back in my face 😱 if he hasn't got you into the top end play offs

2 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Surprised at how much the Queens Park fans are welcoming this with open arms. Surely you would’ve been better off just keeping McKinnon instead of promoting his assistant? 

A few weeks ago we were fully expecting McKinnon to be with us next season and I think most of us would have been happy with that. However he's fucked of for whatever reason so not much we can do about that. 

1 hour ago, embow said:

To all Spider's fans you've appointed a decent coach and a very hard working guy who will do well for you. Laurie is great guy away from the pitch but not so much on it or pitch side. 

Care to expand on this?

1 minute ago, Mick1867 said:

A few weeks ago we were fully expecting McKinnon to be with us next season and I think most of us would have been happy with that. However he's fucked of for whatever reason so not much we can do about that. 

If you’d decided to quote my full post I did go on to say that if McKinnon has walked of his own accord then the appointment makes more sense. I had assumed when McKinnon left it was down to Queens Park wanting to move in a different direction rather than him choosing to leave himself but I’ll happily admit that was just an assumption and could be/is a load of shite.

1 hour ago, I Zingari said:

The great unknown is the club's current financial position. Willie Haughey has not provided a blank cheque and a great deal of money has been spent. To what extent is finance dictating the direction in which the club is travelling?

It's completely driving it. It definitely isn't a blank cheque and Haughey has given us a specific budget for the next 8 years to fund full time football 

Hopefully we'll know more about the rest of the club's finances and operations  after the AGM next month

4 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I had assumed when McKinnon left it was down to Queens Park wanting to move in a different direction rather than him choosing to leave himself but I’ll happily admit that was just an assumption and could be/is a load of shite.

To be fair to you, it's not shite at all to assume that because a lot of us did. The club statement when he left didn't really make it clear hence why we were speculating about so many different names that could potentially get the job. 

Funny to think how so far off we were on this.