Queen's Park 2020/21

20 hours ago, Boris the Spider said:

Not a question of forgiveness for me. It’s a question of (1) given his past is this the sort of person we want as head coach? and (2) do we need the distraction that his appointment will inevitably bring?

On the positive side he is an experienced coach that has coached at the top level and will have lots of contacts. And he is a QP fan ( for what that’s worth).

Maybe I’m just shallow and cynical but if he is appointed and wins us League 1 next season I reckon most people will forgive him.

100% right Boris. an86 needs to get a life and to stop being so PC. Life moves on and if Mr. Martindale can deal in drugs and be forgiven why not Mr.McKay? 

25 minutes ago, Dooflick said:

100% right Boris. an86 needs to get a life and to stop being so PC. Life moves on and if Mr. Martindale can deal in drugs and be forgiven why not Mr.McKay? 

He’s not being PC. There’s a reason MM hasn’t been back in management and it’s due to his conduct. The club want to build and grow a community, the Southside of Glasgow is one of the most diverse communities in Scotland  and having a manager such as MM would be a total backwards step in terms of where we want to be as a club. 

Edited by NathanQP

44 minutes ago, Dooflick said:

I know. You can't even make jokes "too many blacks" and tropes about Jews and money without being ostracised anymore. It's not like the good old days. You can't say anything now. Bring back hanging, while we're at it. 

15 minutes ago, an86 said:

I know. You can't even make jokes "too many blacks" and tropes about Jews and money without being ostracised anymore. It's not like the good old days. You can't say anything now. Bring back hanging, while we're at it. 

Perhaps the most ridiculous thing is you said robbers shouldn’t work at RBS. The place is full of them. 

17 hours ago, Ben Reilly said:

Could one of the reasons we're not hearing anything about who's lined up as the new manager be because the target is currently at a club still in the play offs?
Pure speculation on my part, but I think Gus Macpherson was only appointed Morton manager till the end of the season.

Gosh! I thought for a moment there you were thinking of Kelty supremo and former Clyde bridesmaid Barry Ferguson, top pundit with Go Radio who sponsor Queen’s Park thanks to a connection between their major shareholder and the QPFC Directors. 

No-one is saying his texts were anything other than disgusting. I must admit I doubt that a lot of my texts over the years would stand up to scrutiny but I’m sure (I hope!) I have never texted anything remotely as bad as that. But should it mean he has no right to a future?

As far as I’m aware he has apologised and shown remorse. Whether he means it or not we’ll never know. But other that do penance and be flogged wearing sackcloth and ashes what more can he do?

I guess I take a more simplistic view to the new head coach. I want the person hired that will bring us the most success. Given his past I doubt that MacKay is that person. But if, as seems likely, he gets the job he will have my support.

When MM was appointed at the SFA, Show Racism the Red Card said MM had undergone equality and diversity training, and "wished him well”. Despite I do still feel it would be a PR disaster is MM was appointed - such accusations are hard to brush off - not matter how much training one under goes. 

Footballing wise, he’s not managed a club since his stint at Wigan some half a decade ago. MM has been out the game too long and of not for his past links to the club, I doubt we’d be having this discussion at all. 

There’s surely better options out there ? Hopefully our canny CEO has drawn up a more imaginative shortlist than an alleged racist and her pal from Hibs. Stephen Robinson, Stuart Kettlewell and John Kennedy all come to mind. 

Gosh! I thought for a moment there you were thinking of Kelty supremo and former Clyde bridesmaid Barry Ferguson, top pundit with Go Radio who sponsor Queen’s Park thanks to a connection between their major shareholder and the QPFC Directors. 
I think I'd even rather have Malky Mckay than Ferguson. In fact I'd take Malky Mckay Snr before Ferguson.

Frankly I couldn't care less tbh - I have a Cardiff friend who was much more critical of his alleged corrupt transfer activity when Manager there - but then again what Manager isn't taking backhanders these days given the amount of money swirling around football these days.

Just intrigued that more forgiveness is apparently being shown to someone who was Number 2 in Scotland's biggest Drugs Gang, encumbered with all the physical violence & intimidation that that position necessarily entails. Interesting times. 

27 minutes ago, Boris the Spider said:

No-one is saying his texts were anything other than disgusting. I must admit I doubt that a lot of my texts over the years would stand up to scrutiny but I’m sure (I hope!) I have never texted anything remotely as bad as that. But should it mean he has no right to a future?

Not saying he has no right to a future. I'm saying that certain actions should take you out of the game when it comes to specific roles, particularly leadership roles. 

If we want to retain credibility as a community focused club, we cannot have a guy like that in a key role. It tells whole sections of our local community that our club is not for them and that it's their problem if they don't like it. 

Not saying he has no right to a future. I'm saying that certain actions should take you out of the game when it comes to specific roles, particularly leadership roles. 
If we want to retain credibility as a community focused club, we cannot have a guy like that in a key role. It tells whole sections of our local community that our club is not for them and that it's their problem if they don't like it. 

Maybe it tells the local community that racists and bigots can realise how terrible their views and behaviours are and can change. Surely that is something the club should support? Society as a whole certainly needs that.

4 minutes ago, Boris the Spider said:

Maybe it tells the local community that racists and bigots can realise how terrible their views and behaviours are and can change. Surely that is something the club should support? Society as a whole certainly needs that.

They can. Does it make them suitable for a key leadership role within a community club in the most diverse area of Scotland, though? That's an entirely different matter.

I'd absolutely slaughter any other club for this. I couldn't and wouldn't make excuses for us if we did this. It would be an act of tone deaf idiocy that would make the last few months of communication look like a triumph. 

They can. Does it make them suitable for a key leadership role within a community club in the most diverse area of Scotland, though? That's an entirely different matter.
I'd absolutely slaughter any other club for this. I couldn't and wouldn't make excuses for us if we did this. It would be an act of tone deaf idiocy that would make the last few months of communication look like a triumph. 

There is no doubt that it will create a lot of issues we don’t need. Which is why I have doubts that he should get the job.
But If he does get the job will you still want QP to do well? Would Nathan still be able to carry out his communication role?

10 minutes ago, Boris the Spider said:

There is no doubt that it will create a lot of issues we don’t need. Which is why I have doubts that he should get the job.
But If he does get the job will you still want QP to do well? Would Nathan still be able to carry out his communication role?

I'd obviously always want us to win, but it wouldn't stop me being ashamed and embarrassed of the club's actions. Couldn't walk around with any pride in being associated with Queen's Park if he was appointed.

Been pissed off, baffled, and occasionally irate at some thing the club has done. Never been ashamed or embarrassed, though. Not even when Berwick were riding us at Airdrie, the club was sending letters to fans for celebrating a goal, or a pub team was nearly putting us out of the cup at Hampden. 

12 hours ago, Skeletar Spider said:

David Martindale spent four years in prison as punishment for his involvement in organised crime. He served his sentence, after which he was rightly allowed an opportunity at rehabilitation. Malky Mackay has barely been out of work despite having been caught saying some truly vile things in text messages. Having to attend equality training is hardly on a par with a stint at Barlinnie. I'm not sure it's all that great a comparison.

I don't have an opinion on Martindale. I don't particularly have an opinion on Malky McKay 

But for what it's worth my opinion is the continued existence of Livingston is morally offensive...

18 hours ago, Boris the Spider said:

But should it mean he has no right to a future?

Hold on, is he not currently performance director of the SFA? We're talking here as though Malky Mackay was ostracised for what happened, when in reality he's hardly spent any time out of work in the 7 years or so since the texts came to light, has been appointed to elite jobs and has no doubt earned himself a tidy amount of money.

I think it's also worth pointing out that there's quite an obvious - and very important - difference between objecting to someone being appointed manager of your club on personal grounds and believing that person has no right to be considered for the job. 

18 hours ago, CTQP1867 said:

Just intrigued that more forgiveness is apparently being shown to someone who was Number 2 in Scotland's biggest Drugs Gang, encumbered with all the physical violence & intimidation that that position necessarily entails. Interesting times. 

As I've said before, people have been willing to show Martindale forgiveness because he served his punishment. No-one is comparing what he did to Mackay sending racist and homophobic texts, but it's worth pointing out that Mackay was never punished and it doesn't seem to have had any negative impact on his professional life. His currently salary with the SFA is £250,000. You'll forgive me if I don't spend all that much time feeling sorry for how his life has turned out.

Edited by Skeletar Spider

24 minutes ago, Skeletar Spider said:

Hold on, is he not currently performance director of the SFA? We're talking here as though Malky Mackay was ostracised for what happened, when in reality he's hardly spent any time out of work in the 7 years or so since the texts came to light, has been appointed to elite jobs and has no doubt earned himself a tidy amount of money.

I think it's also worth pointing out that there's quite an obvious - and very important - difference between objecting to someone being appointed manager of your club on personal grounds and believing that person has no right to be considered for the job. 

He left the job at the end of last year. There are only two people/organisations who have seen him fit for leadership roles, the SFA and Dave Whelan. Dave Whelan, who's greatest hits include:

"Do Jewish people chase money a little bit more than we do? I think they are very shrewd people."

"If any Englishman said he has never called a China man a chink he is lying. There is nothing bad about doing that. It's like calling the British Brits, or the Irish paddies."

Tough to see what might have attracted him to Malky Mackay....