Queen's Park 2020/21

Was the Malky Mackay incident ever fully proven? Genuinely just uncertain. 

I've gave it tight to Edi City and Clyde for their poorly reputable player signings. We wouldn't have a leg to stand on if we appoint a figure with a dodgy history. 

26 minutes ago, Thom & Gerry said:

Think if Leanne Dempster thought him suitable for the role that would be a big vote of confidence in his rehabilitation? Give the man a break.

Malky Mackay is not to be pitied, nor is he a victim here.

What his completely hypothetical appointment as a leader within our club would say to minority groups on the southside of Glasgow is "this club isn't really for you."  If it happens, it's a bunch of white folk appointing a white guy with a racist past, telling minority groups that it's not a big issue. 

Anyone involved in making such a decision would be completely out of step with what our local community is actually all about. 

Edited by an86

9 minutes ago, an86 said:

What his completely hypothetical appointment as a leader within our club would say to minority groups on the southside of Glasgow is "this club isn't really for you."  If it happens, it's a bunch of white folk appointing a white guy with a racist past, telling minority groups that it's not a big issue. 

Anyone involved in making such a decision would be completely out of step with what our local community is actually all about. 

"Southsiders block a van from arriving at Lesser Hampden with Malky Mackay on board"

Appointing MM would be a footballing and PR disaster for the club. No imagination and it reeks of ‘jobs for the boys’. He’s been out of coaching for too long. Also, with his ‘problematic’ in past in mind,  I  can only imagine how the MSM will report the appointment:

‘Queen’s Park Scotland’s, oldest team, where club captains armband says Führer (I know it says  Spielführer but the tabloids wont care) , have appointed Malky Mackay an alleged racist, homophobe and misogynist as their manager.’ 

It should be a non stater. What’s next Jim Davidson as the stadium announcer at Lesser? 

Edited by Young Turk

I would not rule MM out entirely; after all, if Show Racism the Red Card said the following, back at the time: 

Anti-racism groups back Malky Mackay for SFA job - BBC News

"In a statement issued to BBC Scotland, Show Racism the Red Card said: "After admitting to sending text messages that were very regrettable and disrespectful to other cultures, Malky Mackay underwent equality and diversity training through an education programme with the FA and we wish him well in his new role at the SFA."

32 minutes ago, an86 said:

Could also say this club is inclusive for everyone except...

4 hours ago, williebraveheart said:

That would be a disaster. Old boys club rules still with us if this happens. Cannot see Dempster being impressed with that.

Dempster’s been teased about an SFA job for a while and she’s saying no in that vague way that CEOs do. Maybe she’s banking a marker for the future.  
I’m also wondering what influence, if any, MMSnr has?

2 hours ago, Ben Reilly said:

Looks like we'll have to wait a bit longer to grill the committee. The AGM will be put back to "the end of June" by which time hopefully restrictions will have eased enough for it to be a "face to face meeting"
Not sure if that's good or bad news.

Another to be filed under ‘underwhelming missive’. 

3 hours ago, an86 said:

Two different scenarios. I'm not against Malky Mackay working in football again, nor am I totally against him working at Queen's Park in some capacity.

However, in our circumstance of trying to build within the most diverse communities in the country, he is demonstrably unfit to take any sort of leadership role within the club. It sends out an absolutely terrible message to BAME, Jewish and LGBT communities, as well as young women. I couldn't encourage anyone to come and watch our club if he was one of the figureheads. 

Let's also be quite clear here. These messages were not sent in less enlightened times and Malky Mackay was not a daft kid. He was a man in his 40s.

He does deserve to be forgiven and he does deserve to work again if he's shown remorse. However, something on that scale should pretty much rule you out of certain roles. I believe bank robbers should be able to work again, for example. However, I don't necessarily believe that the Royal Bank of Scotland would necessarily be the most suitable place of employment. 

I'm proud of the area I come from and I'm proud to be associated with Queen's Park. Those two things cannot link effectively with Malky Mackay's history hanging over the football club. It cannot and must not be allowed to happen, otherwise all this community stuff is just meaningless words. 

When Dempster announces her Innovative  grand plan we’ll know just how far that ”community” stretches to. We don’t know who, if anyone, she’s been talking with. Maybe the communities are more tolerant than it might seem. The club could turn it into a real positive with the right approach but we’ve not seen Dempster in action yet. Tricky! 
It’s less complicated for me at the moment. Are we just to be a merry-go-round for failed managers to reboot their careers? I’m not sure at all about their current contact list. 

8 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

When Dempster announces her Innovative  grand plan we’ll know just how far that ”community” stretches to. We don’t know who, if anyone, she’s been talking with. Maybe the communities are more tolerant than it might seem. The club could turn it into a real positive with the right approach but we’ve not seen Dempster in action yet. Tricky! 
It’s less complicated for me at the moment. Are we just to be a merry-go-round for failed managers to reboot their careers? I’m not sure at all about their current contact list. 

Dempster has tended go go left field with managers with mixed results. Stubbs (mixed, but delivered a defining moment in Hibs history), Lennon (did pretty well/acrimonious end), Heckingbottom (dugmeat), Ross (doing well.) Would say Ross is the only one of those who didn't come a wee bit out of left field. Will be interesting to see if the same happens here. I'm literally in the "anyone but Malky" camp. I can take being shite, I can take being baffled and annoyed, but I could do without being ashamed and embarrassed. I prefer to leave that for my everyday life, rather than my football club.

Edited by an86

The appointment or otherwise of Mackay will probably say much about what the Queen's Park project is really about - if he's the man hired then it almost definitely points to the whole thing being a bit of a race-to-the-top vanity project. Anyone else and there's a much better chance of the long-term vision for the club centring around well-managed growth and the establishment of a sound footing, which would leave the club in good health whenever Haughey pops his clogs or pulls funding.

Thought occurred to me while watching the Aidrie v Morton playoff this evening. Could one of the reasons we're not hearing anything about who's lined up as the new manager be because the target is currently at a club still in the play offs?
Pure speculation on my part, but I think Gus Macpherson was only appointed Morton manager till the end of the season. Could he be set for a return? Always felt we were punching above our weight having him as our manager, but things are obviously very different now. Would he fancy another spell with us but with money to spend this time? I'm not fully sold on the idea, but I do think we could do a lot worse.

24 minutes ago, Ben Reilly said:

Thought occurred to me while watching the Aidrie v Morton playoff this evening. Could one of the reasons we're not hearing anything about who's lined up as the new manager be because the target is currently at a club still in the play offs?
Pure speculation on my part, but I think Gus Macpherson was only appointed Morton manager till the end of the season. Could he be set for a return? Always felt we were punching above our weight having him as our manager, but things are obviously very different now. Would he fancy another spell with us but with money to spend this time? I'm not fully sold on the idea, but I do think we could do a lot worse.

Not the craziest thought.

MacPherson was exactly what we needed in 2014 and did an excellent job.

However, we are a different club now and I'm not sure he would be the best option.

If we go down the former manager route I wouldn't be unhappy if Billy Stark returned, he will have an excellent knowledge of young  players from his time with Scotland, and the blend of youth and experience he put together in 2006/07 played some of the best football I've seen us play.

Edited by JT1867

17 hours ago, CTQP1867 said:

I'm curious to know if the people who won't ever forgive MM have the same opinion on David Martindale, the Livi Manager?

David Martindale spent four years in prison as punishment for his involvement in organised crime. He served his sentence, after which he was rightly allowed an opportunity at rehabilitation. Malky Mackay has barely been out of work despite having been caught saying some truly vile things in text messages. Having to attend equality training is hardly on a par with a stint at Barlinnie. I'm not sure it's all that great a comparison.

13 hours ago, JT1867 said:

If we go down the former manager route I wouldn't be unhappy if Billy Stark returned, he will have an excellent knowledge of young  players from his time with Scotland, and the blend of youth and experience he put together in 2006/07 played some of the best football I've seen us play.

Yes please.

14 hours ago, JT1867 said:

Stark in some sort of director of football role and Stuart Kettlewell as head coach?

Edited by Skeletar Spider