Queen's Park 2020/21

6 hours ago, Mick1867 said:

Has anybody got an actual clue what any of that means? It would be nice if someone told us. We currently have a CEO who's only way of communicating with the members (I think we still officially own and run the club)  so far has been via media interviews.

A new and innovative model in the Scottish game? If it's a head of football operations with a wider remit, with a coach/manager below that then it's hardly new and innovative in the game. Aye it would be different for us but these statements need to cut out the waffle. We just want a decent manager for the 1st team and  it will have to be a significant upgrade to satisfy the support. I know the mood because some of us still manage to communicate with each other regularly, we aren't hiding behind the pandemic.

I just hope whoever made this decision at our club - it's not very clear right now - knows what they're doing as getting rid of a manager who has just won our first league title in 21 years by 16 points is a pretty ruthless decision. Hopefully the right choice has been made. 

😂🤣😂🤣

"It was a conversation to the effect that, in view of the somewhat nebulous and inexplicit nature of your remit, and the arguably marginal and peripheral nature of your influence within the central deliberations and decisions within the political process, there could be a case for restructuring their action priorities in such a way as to eliminate your liquidation from their immediate agenda."

Whereas the meaning of anything especially verbose that Sir Humphrey Appleby said could be worked out, with a little effort, the modern, thrusting, progressive functionary simply puts together buzzwords and soundbites. It sounds grandiloquent, so it'll do.

I sort of hear Tommy Lee Jones as K in "Men In Black", saying, "You sold a reverberating carbonizer with mutate capacity to an unlicensed cephalopoid, Jeebs, you piece of..."

"Our vibrant mission statement is to send out a clear message to the doubleplusgood community, celebrating non-binary diversity and creating a safe space for trigger warning positionality, without ableism and with tolerance for victims of systemic intersectional discrimination."

Leeann knows what she's doing. Trust me on that.

1 minute ago, FortescueFotheringhamSmyth said:

😂🤣😂"Our vibrant mission statement is to send out a clear message to the doubleplusgood community, celebrating non-binary diversity and creating a safe space for trigger warning positionality, without ableism and with tolerance for victims of systemic intersectional discrimination."

No job for Malky then.

First of all, best of luck to Ray McKinnon with whatever he ends up doing in the future. I wasn’t always enamoured with the playing style and some performances but he will go down in history as a title winning manager and he deserves the utmost respect for that. 

His sacking, while not shocking, is ruthless and in a lot of ways disappointing. It was clear from his interviews throughout the year he wanted to be here for the long haul. Sounds like his face didn’t fit following Leann Dempster’s appointment.  

Replacing him will only be palatable if his successor is a clear improvement. If Alan Stubbs gets the nod, it would be the latest f**k up in what has been a dreadful six months off the park since Dempster was appointed.

Overall though, I’m less concerned with the change in coach than I am with the running of the club as a whole. I’m not a full member, but I did attend supporters meetings at the time when professionalism was voted on, and this isn’t what people voted for.  The committee are clearly being dictated to from above, and after assurances from ex-President Gerry Crawley that this wouldn’t be the case it, simply isn’t acceptable. 

We are now a rich man’s play thing, and will need to take the rough with the smooth after what was a terrific season on the pitch. Just hope it doesn’t end in the same way that most of these situations tend to. 

Edited by Big Badger

It's pretty obvious sugar daddy Haughey used his contacts at Celtic to shore things up for the run in.

McKinnon wouldn't have had those sort of connections.

He obviously wasn't impressed with his rejects and old boys routine prior to the enforced break and the live televised performance against QOTS in the cup forced his hand.

Expect more of this with Stubbs or Mackay next season.

2 hours ago, Big Badger said:

The committee are clearly being dictated to from above, and after assurances from ex-President Gerry Crawley that this wouldn’t be the case it, simply isn’t acceptable. 

We are now a rich man’s play thing, and will need to take the rough with the smooth after what was a terrific season on the pitch. Just hope it doesn’t end in the same way that most of these situations tend to. 

I seen one comment on this thread stating “this is what we voted for” which couldn’t be further from the truth. That language will give the Committee a free ride. 

I’m not ruling out this was the plan, for some, from the start. I think a few individuals have benefitted in more ways than one with the introduction of Haughey. One thing is for sure, we’ve been tricked by the benefactor, the Committee or both. I recall being advised at the meeting, “Haughey doesn’t want a seat at the table”. That was either a blatant lie or naivety. 

No need to become a member anyway. It’ll be scrapped very shortly. I doubt they’ll figure out Zoom in time for the AGM. 

All bets were off when we voted to turn professional. I voted for it knowing that. It was going to need investment and it was highly likely that the internal structures within the club were going to have to change. I didn't expect it to happen on this scale, of course. 

I'm still well on board with the direction of travel and the idea of the club being at the heart of the local community. However, the communication with fans has been so poor. Covid cannot be blamed on that. It's 2021. You can't on one hand say we need to professionalise and then refuse to use modern technology as a medium for a conversation with fans. 

I think a few folk are getting a bit dramatic here.

All we know at present is that McKinnon is away. 

We don't know the full story behind that & we don't know who will replace him. 

Maybe we should all take a deep breath & wait and see how things pan out before rushing to judgement.

No doubts this is a time of massive change for this club. I would have chased you five years ago if you had suggested professionalism, but I moved past that. I think we agree, albeit reluctantly, that we would get swept aside by staying where we were. Shire and Berwick aren't coming back to SPFL 2 any time soon.

Sure, some of the stuff now might be startling and, hopefully!!, revolutionary but if we're going down a new road, I'm happy to see that we're going to give it full biffter and aim high. I didn't want to give up amateur status to be another Clyde.

Like many on here, I've lived through some spirit-crushing times as a Queen's Park fan. What I'm hoping is that we get through the challenging times and become a club that's noticed, and for a lot of good reasons.

I was privileged to spend a bit of time talking to Simon Murray and his enthusiasm for the place and where he would like to go with us was almost frightening. It was infectious.

I'll put up with some jingo if I see us move on at a fast but sustainable pace, and reinforce my pride at being a fan of this club. I believe we are in a fairly unique position, certainly for a wee team, in that we're well-funded and we have the makings of a decent infrastructure.

That might all sound a bit happy-clappy, but I've had too many years of us being, let's face it, pretty pish and we just may have a chance to move on if we play it right.

Let's pray for Willie Haughey 's continued good health and hope that the next Andrew Robertson is playing in the under 15s right now.

Keep the Faith.

9 hours ago, Arachnophile said:

Maybe we should all take a deep breath & wait and see how things pan out before rushing to judgement.

Or maybe the club could show up and respect at least the members if not all fans. The increasing commentary on here is a direct consequence to the blanket silence from Lesser. CEO is not a position associated with committees, it’s very much in the realm of private sector business. The stadium refurbishment has collapsed and we know not why. We’ve won the league and sacked the manager.

How much more drama do you need?

10 hours ago, Arachnophile said:

If the sacking of McKinnon (and the nonsensical statement which accompanied it) was the first piece of shite the Club had thrust on supporters in 2020/2021 I’d agree with you. But it isn’t. 

It follows:

- The decision to offer Full Time contracts to players without notifying members.

- The appointment of a CEO without any clarification on who she answers to or the production of a simple organisational chart.

- The botching of the new stadium build and the subsequent lack of communication on the stalled building work.

- The Tony Quinn farce (he has a job at the Club, but he isn’t currently doing it and no one knows what it is). 

- The establishment of a ‘Charitable Trust’ without clear goals or prior notification of members.

- The point blank refusal to acknowledge the last game at Hampden Park, our home for the last 118 years.

- Announcing the WRONG temporary home for the remainder of 2020/21 (and doing so less than fifteen minutes before the last game at Hampden). 

- Leann Dempster leaking news about next season’s playing arrangements to the press two weeks ago. There has been no further announcement from the club. 

- Committee members running about on the pitch after we won the league. Despite COVID restrictions still being in place and ‘normal’ fans being locked out of the grounds for a season.

- The ruthless sacking of a title winning manager who looks set to be replaced by either Alan Stubbs (a bumbling idiot who can’t speak in full sentences) or Malky Mackay (a racist).

Anything I’ve missed or should I just put my head in the sand and hope for the best? 

Edited by Big Badger

21 minutes ago, Reclusespider said:

Where does it say we sacked the manager? 

Reading between the lines, it seems unlikely that McKinnon said to Dempster, "Look, now that we've secured the initial aim of promotion, in order to allow the club to begin the long-term task of restructuring - which I understand will be aimed at delivering a new and innovative model in the Scottish game, rooted in your community and participation for all - I think I'll bugger off and let someone else take my job. Mibbe Falkirk will take me back, I see they're looking for a new manager."

Edited by Skeletar Spider

2 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Or maybe the club could show up and respect at least the members if not all fans. The increasing commentary on here is a direct consequence to the blanket silence from Lesser. CEO is not a position associated with committees, it’s very much in the realm of private sector business. The stadium refurbishment has collapsed and we know not why. We’ve won the league and sacked the manager.

How much more drama do you need?

This is exactly it. It's a question of respect. The structure of the club will change because, frankly, it has to. A committee structure isn't going to work in a professional environment. I suspect discussions over this may dominate the AGM. I think some sort of community club model may be the way ahead and that's something I would be broadly in favour of. Where that will leave the membership is something that is obviously going to require debate and discussion. 

However, while the current structure remains in place, it should be respected. There has been no attempt to engage with the fans or membership and that, frankly, is not acceptable under any circumstance. 

12 hours ago, Arachnophile said:

I agree with you. I do not think we should be rushing to judgement. Regarding Badgers comment about committee men running about the pitch and it looked like they had received medals.  If I remember rightly the Presidents Chain of Office is made up of medals that members and players of the club have won and surely they will do the decent thing and donate them to the club, to be added to the Chain of Office. After all neither of them have ever kicked a ball for the club and I cannot fathom out how they got them or indeed deserved them.

Edited by Dooflick

57 minutes ago, Skeletar Spider said:

Reading between the lines, it seems unlikely that McKinnon said to Dempster, "Look, now that we've secured the initial aim of promotion, in order to allow the club to begin the long-term task of restructuring - which I understand will be aimed at delivering a new and innovative model in the Scottish game, rooted in your community and participation for all - I think I'll bugger off and let someone else take my job. Mibbe Falkirk will take me back, I see they're looking for a new manager."

That could well be true but since we turned professional I wonder if everything is black and white (pun not intended) I don't think there is the same loyalty. Managers like some players can make more money from not staying put. We won the league comfortable but never thrashed any team maybe Ray thought it might be better for him, in the long run, to leave us on the up and take his money and run. The thing is I don't know for certain, so I'm just wondering why everyone is saying it's ridiculous he was sacked. 

Having supported the club for all of my 70plus years, most of them from the North Enclosure never having the finance to become a member. I thought I'd seen some ups and downs in my time.

But if I wasn't a Queen's supporter and was watching all that's developed in the last 6 months from outside the club.

I'd think "What a £ucking shambles"

All of those responsible, should do the decent thing, but they're probably too busy polishing their League Winners medals.

49 minutes ago, QP's in my DNA said:

most of them from the North Enclosure never having the finance to become a member.

Fair enough, everyone's income is different but a membership doesn't actually cost that much more than a season ticket and plenty of members over the years watched games from the North Enclosure. The vast majority are just supporters like everyone else who go home and away every week and I really wish more of our support over the years had become members in order to hold to account those who we elected from the membership to run the club for us. Perhaps we are heading for a different model now, we'll see.

You're bang on though. Off the pitch this season has appeared shambolic....but if it's not and we're all getting the wrong end of the stick then the club can make this very simple to stop the constant speculation - communicate properly with the support ( their customers) and inform the membership of significant developments before it's drip fed to the media.

I believe they think they can get away with this because we're not at games and Lesser is closed. Nobody to badger anyone in the social club or pay a visit to the office. The pandemic has been convenient for some but it's a nonsense excuse. We have the technology to hold online meetings. The coaches managed to do it with the players during lockdown. Most competent businesses and workplaces across the world have managed it, with dialogue between small or large groups. My workplace couldn't function without it. The world would have ground to a permanent halt otherwise. Anything else is just being lazy and disrespectful. Our media team have done their best but they can only share the info they receive from the club officials. Even an email, letter in the post or a club statement on the website is better than f**k all.

2 hours ago, Dooflick said:

I agree with you. I do not think we should be rushing to judgement. Regarding Badgers comment about committee men running about the pitch and it looked like they had received medals.  If I remember rightly the Presidents Chain of Office is made up of medals that members and players of the club have won and surely they will do the decent thing and donate them to the club, to be added to the Chain of Office. After all neither of them have ever kicked a ball for the club and I cannot fathom out how they got them or indeed deserved them.

You'll remember that they weren't presented in the normal fashion; there was a tray of them which people helped themselves to. Someone grabbed one that was left and put it round a guy's neck as a joke.