Queen's Park 2020/21

I don't care what your role is at the club, whether it's elected, self-appointed or a volunteer. We've had volunteers doing stuff for our club since our inception. Some operate within the club, others are from our Supporters' Association who take on organising loads of things so the club doesn't have to.  It's all very much appreciated by everyone and is vital to all clubs at our level.

However the only people who should be accepting medals for winning league titles are the players, coaches etc ( i.e those in the dressing room)

Read the fucking room. Especially this season.   

14 hours ago, Boris the Spider said:

Who do people thiink will still be here next season? Players/ coaches etc.

I think there may be a lot more changes than supporters realise. We're part of a different world now.

If we do want to climb, then we need to be ruthless and even borderline harsh. The squad did an excellent job this season, but next season is a completely different challenge. 

Muir (keep) Heraghty (loan out) 

Sign a genuine challenger to Muir. Competition is healthy. 

Doyle (keep) Robson (keep) Grant (keep) Kilday (keep) Morrison (release)

Need more depth and pace in defence. Wouldn't see Robson as a regular starter for a Championship side, but definitely good enough for the squad. Championship is the level we need to look at because that's where we're trying to get to. Morrison is by no means a bad player, but is he getting a full-time team if he leaves QP? No, for me. That being the case, it's hard to justify retaining him. 

Gillespie (keep) Carroll (keep) Slater (release) Lyon (release) 

Would hope we could do a deal for Connell for the season. This is an area of the pitch where I think we're going to need to be extremely harsh. Slater is undoubtedly a good player, but he's made of glass. I don't see any of these guys as regular starters for a Championship side, but Gillespie is a useful player to have in the squad and there's development in Carroll. Lyon was absolutely fine this season, but is he going to help us see off Falkirk and Morton level opposition? Not sure. 

Quitongo (keep) Longridge (keep) Maclean (release) Galt (heart/head conflict) 

Quitongo is easily a Championship player. Longridge came onto a game, but I'd be looking to bring players in to drive him on and have to really scrap for his place. Maclean wasn't quite as effective as I'd have hoped this season. That's not to say he didn't chip in. He did. However, would he get a game for a Thistle or Dunfermline. No. Galt is a great guy and has been a great servant. I wouldn't be disappointed to keep him, but I don't think he managed a goal this season? 

Murray (on a two year) McHugh (on a two year) Baynham (release) 

Murray will be great, when fit. McHugh should either be moved on or improve drastically if he's to feature in the challenge for the league above. We need some who is going to bang them in here. 

Probably missed multiple players, but it's Saturday morning and I'm half asleep. The squad assembled for this season's job was to win the league. It did it. Next season is a totally different challenge that will require us to evolve. 

From the outside looking in, I get the impression Mr Raymond McKinnon never really fancied David Galt but was obliged to keep him around for the season because he's the club captain and generally well-liked around Hampden. I think Queen's Park have probably outgrown him over the past 12 months.

If he's let go, I'd like to see Stenhousemuir make a move for him. I like him as a player and he seems like a superb ambassador for the club.

46 minutes ago, an86 said:

If we do want to climb, then we need to be ruthless and even borderline harsh. The squad did an excellent job this season, but next season is a completely different challenge. 

Need more depth and pace in defence. Wouldn't see Robson as a regular starter for a Championship side, but definitely good enough for the squad. Championship is the level we need to look at because that's where we're trying to get to. Morrison is by no means a bad player, but is he getting a full-time team if he leaves QP? No, for me. That being the case, it's hard to justify retaining him. 

Would hope we could do a deal for Connell for the season. This is an area of the pitch where I think we're going to need to be extremely harsh. Slater is undoubtedly a good player, but he's made of glass. I don't see any of these guys as regular starters for a Championship side, but Gillespie is a useful player to have in the squad and there's development in Carroll. Lyon was absolutely fine this season, but is he going to help us see off Falkirk and Morton level opposition? Not sure. 

Quitongo is easily a Championship player. Longridge came onto a game, but I'd be looking to bring players in to drive him on and have to really scrap for his place. Maclean wasn't quite as effective as I'd have hoped this season. That's not to say he didn't chip in. He did. However, would he get a game for a Thistle or Dunfermline. No. Galt is a great guy and has been a great servant. I wouldn't be disappointed to keep him, but I don't think he managed a goal this season? 

Murray will be great, when fit. McHugh should either be moved on or improve drastically if he's to feature in the challenge for the league above. We need some who is going to bang them in here. 

Probably missed multiple players, but it's Saturday morning and I'm half asleep. The squad assembled for this season's job was to win the league. It did it. Next season is a totally different challenge that will require us to evolve. 

Can't disagree with your assessment. To be quite frank I think the game is passing Galt by and although I have the utmost respect for him I think he might be happier moving on. I don't think Baynham was given a decent chance. He scored some important goals and has a good instinct. Depending on who we can get I would keep him as backup for now. If, on the other hand Ray does not fancy him then he will go and we probably would not miss him half way through next season. Slater I agree not worth the risk and with Ray Grant now available I would hope that we at least try for him. So disappointed in McHugh this season. Perhaps he produces touches and passes that are beyond my level of thinking. I am of the old school that a striker is supposed to score goals and with his experience he should have been doing better. I can see at least six newcomers coming in for next season. Connor Sammon worth a shout?

42 minutes ago, williebraveheart said:

Can't disagree with your assessment. To be quite frank I think the game is passing Galt by and although I have the utmost respect for him I think he might be happier moving on. I don't think Baynham was given a decent chance. He scored some important goals and has a good instinct. Depending on who we can get I would keep him as backup for now. If, on the other hand Ray does not fancy him then he will go and we probably would not miss him half way through next season. Slater I agree not worth the risk and with Ray Grant now available I would hope that we at least try for him. So disappointed in McHugh this season. Perhaps he produces touches and passes that are beyond my level of thinking. I am of the old school that a striker is supposed to score goals and with his experience he should have been doing better. I can see at least six newcomers coming in for next season. Connor Sammon worth a shout?

Absolutely no to Connor Sammon, seems like he was rightly punted from Falkirk and quite frankly I’ve never been a fan of his. Mchugh like has been mentioned, has been desperately poor most of the season. It’s not even the lack of goals that disappoints me, it’s his general lack of contribution throughout games. He goes missing for large spells, doesn’t link the play, not quick, doesn’t get himself in goal scoring positions. For a team that has more or less dominated the ball for most games, whilst having the likes of quitongo, longridge and Murray to service him, 3 open play goals is very underwhelming. 

15 minutes ago, qpfc said:

Mchugh like has been mentioned, has been desperately poor most of the season. It’s not even the lack of goals that disappoints me, it’s his general lack of contribution throughout games. He goes missing for large spells, doesn’t link the play, not quick, doesn’t get himself in goal scoring positions. For a team that has more or less dominated the ball for most games, whilst having the likes of quitongo, longridge and Murray to service him, 3 open play goals is very underwhelming. 

Agreed. He has scored one goal from open play every 500 minutes or so if I'm not mistaken, and contributes very little otherwise. Unless he dramatically improves, he has done nothing to merit a place in the team next season at a higher level where we'll have much tougher competition.

Edited by Zanetti

I agree with all of An86' post with the exception of Baynham and Lyon. I'm probably wrong, but has anyone a higher goal count per minutes actually played (Salim maybe)? Would also be good to secure Connell again.

What's the thoughts on Salim? 

1 hour ago, qpfc said:

Absolutely no to Connor Sammon, seems like he was rightly punted from Falkirk and quite frankly I’ve never been a fan of his.

I've liked what I've seen of Connor Sammon, but I have to take everybody's word for it, he's not universally rated.

11 minutes ago, Velvet Donkey said:

I agree with all of An86' post with the exception of Baynham and Lyon. I'm probably wrong, but has anyone a higher goal count per minutes actually played (Salim maybe)? Would also be good to secure Connell again.

What's the thoughts on Salim? 

Agree with keeping Lyon. He’s not a world beater by any means but he’s extremely reliable and can chip in goals from midfield, something we shouldn’t be discarding. He wouldn’t be an automatic pick in the eleven but he’s a solid option in the squad in case of injuries, suspensions etc 

As much as Baynham should of got more game time towards the back end of the season, I’d still let him go, alongside looking further than Salim. Both have done solid jobs but there have been so many occasions throughout the season where poor finishing has been a factor. Sal in particular has been guilty of missing clear cut opportunities. In league 1 we will get punished big time for that 

Cant think of anyone off the top of my head who’d replace those two but with our financial strength and league 1 status, I’d hope we could acquire a striker of equal quality to Murray ?

Edited by qpfc

5 hours ago, Zanetti said:

Agreed. He has scored one goal from open play every 500 minutes or so if I'm not mistaken, and contributes very little otherwise.

Maybe if you discount the penalties...

01F3102D-E050-4366-81C5-91A4A049F624.thumb.png.364e85bddfb65a6dc0336cce3bb4b5fa.png

5 hours ago, Velvet Donkey said:

I'm probably wrong, but has anyone a higher goal count per minutes actually played (Salim maybe)? 

Good in the air...not so much the ground. Low on pace. So a good balance for Murray. 

Davie Galt our highest for assists, all the more remarkable given is shortage of pitch time.

5FB74726-0337-43F5-B6AD-8E72D23C9E21.thumb.png.e733a1f095d863bbe4a870b6c0b05413.png

8 hours ago, an86 said:

It will all depend on the length of contract that all our players are on for your wishes come true.

41 minutes ago, Dooflick said:

It will all depend on the length of contract that all our players are on for your wishes come true.

Yep. The only ones I'm aware of that were mentioned as two years were McHugh and Murray. Might be more. Probably is. 

Clearly in the minority but I'd keep Morrison
Apart from his part in the Stranraer goal I thought his performances were good since replacing Grant
He's got a bit of pace which Grant and Kilday lack and made a number of good last ditch tackles
Also time to develop like Carroll and Baynam...

I note that Lord Haughey's Glasgow Labour associate, James Kelly, will not be returning to Holyrood after today's results. I also note that we have not yet filled that community gig that was advertised. Maybe 2+2=5. Crossed my mind a few weeks ago when I saw he was miles down the list.