Queen's Park 2020/21

A couple of bits of artwork have appeared which you may not have seen:

This appeared on the wall of Lesser Hampden in the lead up to Rememberance Sunday last November. Edwin Garvie was one of the clubs players who was killed on the Western Front in the First World War. No idea who added it or the relevance of "Sing for the boys" though.

IMG_20201225_141554.thumb.jpg.af5df9dcdf46dd36593dbe3a97047504.jpg

Also, over in Shawlands in an alley just across from the Granary on Kilmarnock Road is a mural of Andrew Watson, captain of the Scottish Cup winning teams in 1880, 81 and 82. This was organised by an anti-racism project.

IMG_20201122_123035.thumb.jpg.a99c9f61c51645b85a733802c2d76129.jpg

23 hours ago, qpsnapper said:

A couple of bits of artwork have appeared which you may not have seen:

This appeared on the wall of Lesser Hampden in the lead up to Rememberance Sunday last November. Edwin Garvie was one of the clubs players who was killed on the Western Front in the First World War. No idea who added it or the relevance of "Sing for the boys" though.

IMG_20201225_141554.thumb.jpg.af5df9dcdf46dd36593dbe3a97047504.jpg

Also, over in Shawlands in an alley just across from the Granary on Kilmarnock Road is a mural of Andrew Watson, captain of the Scottish Cup winning teams in 1880, 81 and 82. This was organised by an anti-racism project.

IMG_20201122_123035.thumb.jpg.a99c9f61c51645b85a733802c2d76129.jpg

Young Rangers fans were responsible for the artwork at Lesser Hampden. They did the same at Firhill and some of the Thistle fans were none too impressed.

On murals, I like the idea of having our ground absolutely plastered in them. Space for heritage, modern day legends, traditional murals, more mental looking ones. Something that when you're passing and entering the stadium, it's almost overbearingly Queen's Park Football Club and nobody is in any doubt about who plays there. We have to attempt to make it not just any other ground.

3 hours ago, an86 said:

On murals, I like the idea of having our ground absolutely plastered in them. Space for heritage, modern day legends, traditional murals, more mental looking ones. Something that when you're passing and entering the stadium, it's almost overbearingly Queen's Park Football Club and nobody is in any doubt about who plays there. We have to attempt to make it not just any other ground.

"Mental looking ones"- Eddie Hunter in full on rant then! 

18 hours ago, an86 said:

Agreed. I hope the new ground is covered in such stuff eventually. The club colours should also be everywhere (unlike Hampden) 

They could start with sorting out one of the murals in the upstairs bar. It was the 3rd Division we won in 1999/2000, not the 2nd Division as it incorrectly states. Only been telling them for about a zillion years but none of the committee or office staff that were informed seemed remotely interested. Call me a pedant but I think wee things like this are important  when we bang on about being proud of our history as we move into the new era.

4 hours ago, shawfield shed boy said:
6 hours ago, Chester Desmond said:
Impossible to say, really.  Hardly played in the couple of months he was at Queen's.

Thanks. He cant be any worse than our (non existant) midfield. Surely?!

From what I saw of him, I thought he was a really tidy player. Versatile, good delivery of free kicks and corners, and experienced with positioning and covering. As others have said, not much to go on though.

On 25/02/2021 at 23:36, Velvet Donkey said:

From what I saw of him, I thought he was a really tidy player. Versatile, good delivery of free kicks and corners, and experienced with positioning and covering. As others have said, not much to go on though.

I’d agree with that

Thought he was excellent in his debut up at Elgin playing in a midfield 3 but we hardly saw him after that with McKinnon settling on a 4 4 2 

With it increasingly likely we will be back watching league games (on streams of varying quality) soon, is it time to start talking about the team again?

Our last outing against QOS was a shambles so hopefully Ray McKinnon has realised that whilst the 4-4-2 is fine for some games, we could really benefit from an extra midfielder against the stronger teams (or at least have a number 10 in a 4-2-3-1)

The back 4 picks itself and I would have Canice Carroll and Craig Slater (if by some miracle he stays fit) as first picks in midfield. Plenty of options further up depending on form/fitness.