Queen's Park 2020/21

There was an excellent interview last night on Go Radio with Leeann.

Her interview starts around the 30min mark of the podcast, a real insight into her hopes for her new challenge at Queens, exciting times indeed.

https://thegoradiofootballshow.podbean.com/e/the-go-radio-football-show-12th-january/

Almost alone amongst all our signings over the years, I've still to hear / read any negative comments about her appointment. Fans of previous clubs she's been involved in have been very positive about her involvement.

There's a big job to be done to make our anticipated progress sustainable; I'd see that as her primary role. Bringing in sponsors, looking for funding opportunities and getting the appropriate people in place, for example. We've been fortunate to have Committee who've been able to devote lots of time to the development of the Club; that's not sustainable with guys who have day jobs too.

Football's in a helluva mess but we are sitting in a much better position than (probably) most. Let's be thankful for that.

European football in 5 years. You read it here first.

3 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Almost alone amongst all our signings over the years, I've still to hear / read any negative comments about her appointment. Fans of previous clubs she's been involved in have been very positive about her involvement.

There's a big job to be done to make our anticipated progress sustainable; I'd see that as her primary role. Bringing in sponsors, looking for funding opportunities and getting the appropriate people in place, for example. We've been fortunate to have Committee who've been able to devote lots of time to the development of the Club; that's not sustainable with guys who have day jobs too.

Football's in a helluva mess but we are sitting in a much better position than (probably) most. Let's be thankful for that.

European football in 5 years. You read it here first.

Wish I had your crystal ball.

On 11/01/2021 at 13:11, Mick1867 said:

This annoyed plenty of QP fans as well, believe me. Not one person in my various Whats App groups ( full of us moany faced c***s from the social club obviously) thinks we are anywhere near being Championship standard  We know our current level. However, I suppose our club officials have been as guilty as anyone of hyping all this up with the media chat about aiming for that division, plus many appearances on AVFTT. Nothing wrong with ambition but let's concentrate on the job in hand first......albeit suspended now for a few weeks     

I think what people like McFadden are meaning is that you're perhaps Championship level off the park now; structure, player wages etc.

You're certainly not Championship level on the park. That team would get rode silly in the Championship.

28 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

You're certainly not Championship level on the park. That team would get rode silly in the Championship.

As evidenced in the cup. That said, I think QP are going about building themselves sensibly. Bring in talent that is good for your current level and build a foundation on that. Teams that come into money and flood their squad don't always do that well or build sustainably... 

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

I think what people like McFadden are meaning is that you're perhaps Championship level off the park now; structure, player wages etc.

The guys were mostly playing bottom of Championship/top of League One. The full-time label possibly sees things being overplayed in terms of the actual quality. 

Two guys in from Thistle (relegated), a couple in from Falkirk (couldn't get out of League One.) Whilst there's no excuses for not getting out of League Two, it's not like these guys were absolutely romping it in leagues that included part-time teams. 

I have no great problem with any of the players btw. They all look to be solid, honest pros who can do a job at the bread and butter level. Unbeaten in the league, so far. 

2 hours ago, amidst-tundra said:

As evidenced in the cup. That said, I think QP are going about building themselves sensibly. Bring in talent that is good for your current level and build a foundation on that. Teams that come into money and flood their squad don't always do that well or build sustainably... 

Is there a core of a squad at QP that is expected to take them to the Championship though? When I look at the squad I see a good number of players who probably won't take them to that level. When you've got plenty wages to throw around I'd like to see my club bringing in younger guys that can progress as the club does rather than older guys who will need replaced as the club moves up. I admit I've seen very little of QP so I could be wide of the mark here and there's a solid core there but on paper it looks like they may go through a few revolving door style summers.

Is there a core of a squad at QP that is expected to take them to the Championship though? When I look at the squad I see a good number of players who probably won't take them to that level. When you've got plenty wages to throw around I'd like to see my club bringing in younger guys that can progress as the club does rather than older guys who will need replaced as the club moves up. I admit I've seen very little of QP so I could be wide of the mark here and there's a solid core there but on paper it looks like they may go through a few revolving door style summers.
There's absolutely some sort of spine there for progression up the Leagues. Wullie Muir in goal has always looked capable playing against higher quality opposition, Peter Grant regularly smokes a cigar during League 2 matches. Craig Slater in midfield and both Murray and McHugh were likely signed for a few seasons at least. Albeit its dependent on the players themselves.

2 minutes ago, HoustonSpider99 said:

There's absolutely some sort of spine there for progression up the Leagues. Wullie Muir in goal has always looked capable playing against higher quality opposition, Peter Grant regularly smokes a cigar during League 2 matches. Craig Slater in midfield and both Murray and McHugh were likely signed for a few seasons at least. Albeit its dependent on the players themselves.

Not convinced Willie Muir will do you but fair enough on Grant, Slater and Murray. It'll be interesting to see how you go about it.