Queen's Park 2020/21

5 hours ago, Dooflick said:

As to comments about our Committee men now calling themselves Directors ( else where on this site ) they always did. QP are a Private Limited Company and all of the Committee are registered as Directors at Company House, as they always have been since our Incorporation which I think was about 100 years ago. 

The current list of registered Directors doesn’t quite match the Committee. June 1903 was the date of Incorporation.  Regardless, the vote was to amend one of the Articles of Association, a legal document required when forming a limited company.  The Articles refer to The Committee, not directors. It was 1986 when annual accounts were first returned so maybe the term came into play then.

So apparently two different bodies, although largely the same individuals, are running the club. The Committee supposedly report to the Members, a complete fallacy in my opinion when the Articles grant absolute power to the Committee on all decision-making, and this is evident at an AGM where accounts are shown and office bearers I.e. committee deliver the presentations. However, those legally responsible for good governance at the limited company are the Directors. In the modern world, I can’t think of any other organisation or business who would have both. Directors are linked to business and the purpose of any business is to make a profit. The language used at all the pre-vote presentations to “onboard” the Members was very business-like. A Committee is nothing more than a specific group appointed by a larger group.

I’d be more tolerant of the club’s Directors if they would give the Membership the same consideration and time as they did during the campaign to amend the Articles. Your sparring partner, The Man Who Would Be King, was never off here when the camp was considering what next and he needed to keep channeling people. Seems to have lost interest now. At the summer AGM there was nothing of substance about any of what is happening now. Like the fans, I’d say some of the Directors are being played. QP was always something different, something special for me. We’re on a trajectory to become just another mediocre Scottish football club. 

1 hour ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I think it might have been the manner in which the BBC Scotland commentary team and pundits talked up this Queen's Park side like they're the new third force in Scottish football that rubbed a lot of people up the wrong way last night. It might have been James McFadden who described the team as "Championship-ready", while the most animated Michael Stewart got all evening was when Jai Quitongo hit the crossbar. Queen of the South, who were very good in the second half, seemed to be an afterthought.

I said it before but I think this group of players (and possibly the manager too) are a means to an end. They're good enough to win the League 2 title, but what else beyond that? How many of them would supporters want to see kept on beyond the summer? How many of them would get full-time contracts elsewhere in Scotland? Not many, I'd wager.

Given the transformation Queen's Park have gone through over the last 12 months and where they are compared to everyone else in this division, this kind of scrutiny is something everyone associated with the club will have to get used to.

Re the players and manager, I would tend to agree that I expect we will have enough about us to grind out the wins required for the title this year but the squad will need a lot more energy and inventiveness to progress further beyond that. I’m not sure Mckinnon is the man to deliver it.

Sometimes  I feel that the “Championship quality” narrative has been driven by people outside the club but then I remember they procession of players, officials and social media content talking about “moving up the leagues”.

Time to put up or shut up.

43 minutes ago, Spider Rico said:

Much of what I've been thinking of writing about, both on the trials and tribulations of last nights "performance" and the routemap the committee have chosen for us, have been adequately covered by numerous previous posts; and whilst I was deliberating an appropriate response, the above comment from SpiderRico appeared.

It made me think that we now appear to be in danger of taking the same attitude of the fans of Glasgow's "toxic two"; in that we're never going to be happy, win ,lose or draw.

Just cast your mind back to his time last year, just think how much positivity now surrounds our club, both on and off the pitch, and where we might be this time next year.

Small steps at a time, seem to make sense to me, along with an appreciation of all the work and decision making being done on our behalf in the background.

In thinking of the word "toxic" that I used, it shows how in a short space of time people who think they're on an upward trajectory, get caught up in their own self belief.

Just look at Trump and Johnson who a year ago thought they were in unassailable positions. How the mighty can fall.

Let's just be happy with small steps in the right direction, and enjoy it while it lasts.................hopefully for some time yet.

1 hour ago, Spider Rico said:

Re the players and manager, I would tend to agree that I expect we will have enough about us to grind out the wins required for the title this year but the squad will need a lot more energy and inventiveness to progress further beyond that. I’m not sure Mckinnon is the man to deliver it.

Sometimes  I feel that the “Championship quality” narrative has been driven by people outside the club but then I remember they procession of players, officials and social media content talking about “moving up the leagues”.

You do have a squad that could be good enough to survive in the championship, if you go through the players Queens have you can identify a lot of decent talent. Ray is an excuse merchant as well as a con-man, there was no excuse for Queens to be as atrocious as they were last night. He is totally void of ideas and has absolutely no tactical awareness. You don't want to be going into league 1 with him in charge. 

3 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

At the summer AGM there was nothing of substance about any of what is happening now.

And no questions allowed either, not even via email in advance of the meeting, even though the club were in the midst of the biggest period of change since the club was founded. 

1 hour ago, Hampden Diehard said:

I think East leaving was his decision.

Yes, that's what I heard as well, as he wanted full time football. He did take a slightly unusual route via Cliftonhill to get there, but he got there in the end.

15 hours ago, QP's in my DNA said:

Much of what I've been thinking of writing about, both on the trials and tribulations of last nights "performance" and the routemap the committee have chosen for us, have been adequately covered by numerous previous posts; and whilst I was deliberating an appropriate response, the above comment from SpiderRico appeared.

It made me think that we now appear to be in danger of taking the same attitude of the fans of Glasgow's "toxic two"; in that we're never going to be happy, win ,lose or draw.

Just cast your mind back to his time last year, just think how much positivity now surrounds our club, both on and off the pitch, and where we might be this time next year.

Small steps at a time, seem to make sense to me, along with an appreciation of all the work and decision making being done on our behalf in the background.

In thinking of the word "toxic" that I used, it shows how in a short space of time people who think they're on an upward trajectory, get caught up in their own self belief.

Just look at Trump and Johnson who a year ago thought they were in unassailable positions. How the mighty can fall.

Let's just be happy with small steps in the right direction, and enjoy it while it lasts.................hopefully for some time yet.

You see the appointment of Leanne Dempster, former Chief Executive at one of Scotland's Big Six clubs, as a small step?

Edited by Bring Your Own Socks

The Queen of the South game was a bit of a wake-up call for a lot of us, putting into perspective where we're at as a side. I think our billing as 'Championship Standard' has been very much dumped on us by some of the media, but i did think we'd have given QoS a better game.

For me what i've seen in quite a few of the games i've watched is that other than Quitongo, we're not looking as inventive at creating chances as we need to be. Winning a league requires grinding out results and we've achieved that of course, but a few of our performances have seen us lack that clinical edge. A couple dodgy tactical decisions and selections also.

Personally, ive got my doubts over whether Mackinnon is the man to take us forward at a higher level, but i hope i'm proved wrong.

51 minutes ago, HoustonSpider99 said:

The Queen of the South game was a bit of a wake-up call for a lot of us, putting into perspective where we're at as a side. I think our billing as 'Championship Standard' has been very much dumped on us by some of the media, but i did think we'd have given QoS a better game.

For me what i've seen in quite a few of the games i've watched is that other than Quitongo, we're not looking as inventive at creating chances as we need to be. Winning a league requires grinding out results and we've achieved that of course, but a few of our performances have seen us lack that clinical edge. A couple dodgy tactical decisions and selections also.

Personally, ive got my doubts over whether Mackinnon is the man to take us forward at a higher level, but i hope i'm proved wrong.

We only have one really creative midfield player and his fitness is a huge concern. We really missed a trick when we failed to secure Ray Grant from Clyde. My main concern is that we appear to be one paced and it is not fast. Quitongo is the main man to show a spark out of the ordinary. I believe Murray can do this with service and fitness.

5 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

You see the appointment of Leanne Dempster, former Chief Executive at one of Scotland's Big Six clubs, as a small step?

I didn't mention the appointment of Leeanne Dempster in my post, but you have.

As of this moment in time, as far Queen's Park are concerned, no such appointment has been made. 

Perhaps you can enlighten us on this issue with some actual facts, instead of your snide one liners.

BYOS - fairly sure that Committee guys are appointed directors, irrespective of what is available to the public as information on this.  If anyone is unhappy at what they do or want to bring their own person onto the Committee, they are perfectly at liberty to vote them off (and on), as happened a couple of years ago.

No two ways about it, we sold ourselves short on Friday; particularly disappointing as it was on council hoose TV and would have had a decent audience.  We seem unable to close guys down 25 yards from goal and there are too many occasions where we can't control the ball or end up passing it to the opposition.  Ray will see that and hopefully can work on eliminating basic mistakes.  We'll survive against teams in our division but QoS are a step up and punished us.  Friday should be a bit of a wake up call for everyone.  If the Championship is our goal with (largely speaking) this squad as the base of the team to take us there, we can't afford to be outplayed by one of the teams at the erse end of that division.

Simon Murray said the week before Christmas that he was a few weeks away from being fully match fit.  Hopefully all the game time that he's received recently will go some way to us having a prolific scorer, something that we don't have.

No time to mope about it; Stranraer this Saturday and they were decent down there and were probably unlucky to lose.  

On 09/01/2021 at 13:27, JT1867 said:

Not quite, McGrory was released last summer, East left the previous summer when Mark Roberts was in charge.

McGrory also got about 3 minutes as a gesture sub. He was hardly "playing" for us in the game. He's looked decent in flashes but he's started once for us all season so far.

East's done well and is a regular starter. He's not been the goal threat I thought he would be after pre-season but he's a willing runner, has a few assists and can play off either wing as well as through the middle.

On 09/01/2021 at 17:34, Francesc Fabregas said:

I think it might have been the manner in which the BBC Scotland commentary team and pundits talked up this Queen's Park side like they're the new third force in Scottish football that rubbed a lot of people up the wrong way last night. It might have been James McFadden who described the team as "Championship-ready", while the most animated Michael Stewart got all evening was when Jai Quitongo hit the crossbar. Queen of the South, who were very good in the second half, seemed to be an afterthought.

I said it before but I think this group of players (and possibly the manager too) are a means to an end. They're good enough to win the League 2 title, but what else beyond that? How many of them would supporters want to see kept on beyond the summer? How many of them would get full-time contracts elsewhere in Scotland? Not many, I'd wager.

Given the transformation Queen's Park have gone through over the last 12 months and where they are compared to everyone else in this division, this kind of scrutiny is something everyone associated with the club will have to get used to.

I'd not have been unhappy to retain Darren Lyon and Lee Kilday in the summer. They both did ok last season when we were generally not very good. I'm not sure what's happened to Michael Doyle. He was more than decent for us 2 years ago, albeit over-rated a bit by a lot of our fans, but he looks a shadow of the player he was now. Appears to have been Falkirk'd. McHugh's not magic but he was fairly regular for Morton a year ago and turned down a contract offer from them to go to QP. Murray would have got one on reputation alone but he doesn't look close to being fit at the moment. Grant's also a shadow of the player he was before he did his cruciate but Craig Slater might well have got himself full time somewhere else.

I don't think the present squad is good enough to win League 1 certainly but I've not been in League 1 for 7 years now so not sure.

I do think the game would have been very different if played a couple of weeks earlier. We really seem to have turned a corner since the Raith Rovers game with a slightly different shape and style. Moving Shields through the middle and Pybus further forward has given us a lot more energy and threat up top and allowed McKee and McCabe more time on the ball to pick passes. We've always had decent pace and creativity this year but hadn't found a combination to allow it to flourish whilst taking the pressure off a new back four.

5 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I'd not have been unhappy to retain Darren Lyon and Lee Kilday in the summer. They both did ok last season when we were generally not very good. I'm not sure what's happened to Michael Doyle. He was more than decent for us 2 years ago, albeit over-rated a bit by a lot of our fans, but he looks a shadow of the player he was now. Appears to have been Falkirk'd. McHugh's not magic but he was fairly regular for Morton a year ago and turned down a contract offer from them to go to QP. Murray would have got one on reputation alone but he doesn't look close to being fit at the moment. Grant's also a shadow of the player he was before he did his cruciate but Craig Slater might well have got himself full time somewhere else.

I don't think the present squad is good enough to win League 1 certainly but I've not been in League 1 for 7 years now so not sure.

That's fair enough. I was more thinking about players like Mikey Doyle and Grant Gillespie in that regard.

Now are you finally going to explain to us what George Galloway was doing at Palmerston or what?

On 09/01/2021 at 12:05, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

The shot creating the snowfall off the crossbar was stunning. I'm going to create a Douglas Gordon style slow-mo version of that scored by Mogwai and show it at the National Galleries on the Mound. emoji2398.png

Scottish Gallery of Modern Art for this pish please 😆

On 09/01/2021 at 17:34, Francesc Fabregas said:

This annoyed plenty of QP fans as well, believe me. Not one person in my various Whats App groups ( full of us moany faced c***s from the social club obviously) thinks we are anywhere near being Championship standard  We know our current level. However, I suppose our club officials have been as guilty as anyone of hyping all this up with the media chat about aiming for that division, plus many appearances on AVFTT. Nothing wrong with ambition but let's concentrate on the job in hand first......albeit suspended now for a few weeks