Queen's Park 2020/21

13 minutes ago, Anonymous Spider said:

Nice of Ray to casually throw the team under a bus for “failing to respond” in the second half when he singularly failed to respond to any tactical issues. 

As soon as I saw he was persisting with the same formation I knew exactly how the game was going to go.

Presumably Slater (again) and McGlinchey were injured but he keeps persisting with a dreadful 4-4-2 anyway. Carroll and Gillespie are good players but they were outnumbered all night with few options available when they did get on the ball.

The defence was posted missing for the goals and the less said about Murray and Mchugh’s contribution the better

I hope we have enough to stumble over the line in the league but we have to aim for better. 

18 minutes ago, Anonymous Spider said:

Nice of Ray to casually throw the team under a bus for “failing to respond” in the second half when he singularly failed to respond to any tactical issues. 

Exactly this. We are far from being a good side but we comfortably saw that game out. In addition in the same interview until he was prompted he wasn't even going to acknowledge the other side involved.  

Serious scrutiny required after that. Full of praises after not losing a league game in 2020 but it looks like our pro’s can only beat part timers. McKinnon not got answers for any game against decent opposition. The quality and fitness in the squad will win L2. More money spent in the Summer or a change in leadership to compete at a higher level is abundantly clear. 

We’ve conceded 10 and scored 1 against opposition outside L2. A -9 GD is frightening considering the recruitment and wages.

QOTS gaffer mentioned we’re paying more. We’re yet to see the return relative to the level of player recruited.

I watched the game tonight and thought you weren't too bad, other than in the final third. QotS's first goal was taken very well, and down to a good bit of individual skill. Conceding just before the break is never good, and you were always chasing the game after that.

You were playing a side two divisions above you, and given how you're fairing in your own league I can understand why expectations were high, but I wouldn't be too critical. 

QP are a good side and should win League 2, but the result was as I expected. I don't think QP are anything special (honestly not having a dig). League 2, sadly, is woefully poor, so it doesn't take much to win it these days. When you move up to League 1 you will have to strengthen to keep progressing. Some fans have said that you have players of championship level, but I am not so sure. I think they are a good standard for league 2. Take Murray for instance. He is big, strong and fast, but I don't think he has any real true ability. Sadly, this is all too prevalent in Scottish football just now. Ability seems to be an afterthought, especially at youth level. When the players make it to the league level they are fast, strong etc, but basically very mediocre. We do have some real talent in this country, but they are not making through the ranks because the majority of the coaches at youth level are obsessed with everything but ability. Anyway, good luck for the rest of the season. Enjoy the success which comes your way. Hopefully you can bring through some talent from your youth set up.

Edited by PELE

8 hours ago, PELE said:

QP are a good side and should win League 2, but the result was as I expected. I don't think QP are anything special (honestly not having a dig). League 2, sadly, is woefully poor, so it doesn't take much to win it these days. When you move up to League 1 you will have to strengthen to keep progressing. Some fans have said that you have players of championship level, but I am not so sure. I think they are a good standard for league 2. Take Murray for instance. He is big, strong and fast, but I don't think he has any real true ability. Sadly, this is all too prevalent in Scottish football just now. Ability seems to be an afterthought, especially at youth level. When the players make it to the league level they are fast, strong etc, but basically very mediocre. We do have some real talent in this country, but they are not making through the ranks because the majority of the coaches at youth level are obsessed with everything but ability. Anyway, good luck for the rest of the season. Enjoy the success which comes your way. Hopefully you can bring through some talent from your youth set up.

I think McKinnon realises he needs to strengthen for league 1. He said in his interview he will review after the end of the season so I would expect some departures and additions for next season.

10 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

So McKinnon is a one trick pony and we’ve employed a disconnected group who’s only common connection is knowing Ray McKinnon and past their best? Honestly never saw that coming.

Sorry but you don't instantly become a competent championship side the minute you turn full time. Mistakes will be made in both signings and tactics along the way . It is learning from the mistakes that counts. 

First priority is winning league 2 which you seem to be doing at a canter. The cup would have been a bonus but the real test will be next season in league 1. 

Whilst understandable I think there are too many comments here made too soon after a disappointment driven by too high an expectation. We were playing a team two divisions above us for a reason. Our priority this season is to win League 2 and I think we will do that with the players Ray has brought in. Those same players were beyond our wildest dreams twelve months ago. Now that the season is taking shape it is clear that without Slater in the team we are devoid of creativity in midfield. Not only from him but with those whose game is lifted by his presence. David Galt comes to mind. Sadly it looks as if we cannot rely on Slater's fitness and I hope this might be addressed in the current window. Yes, I would have liked to see Quitongo start last night but I am not paid to pick the team. Moving forward I have no doubt that Ray knows he will have to change some personnel for League 1 and beyond but this is an evolving situation. For now let's get down to winning League 2 and take it from there.

1 hour ago, Brazilianlex said:

I think McKinnon realises he needs to strengthen for league 1. He said in his interview he will review after the end of the season so I would expect some departures and additions for next season.

Except all the new guys are on 2 or 3 year contracts. Virtually a full new squad. So if some of these guys aren’t good enough for L1 why did we pay over-the-odds for them now? And who is going to buy them on an early release from Queen’s Park?

QP members voted on a sales pitch of fear, that if we didn’t go pro we would end up in the lower leagues. I still believe that would have happened. Nothing was ever discussed about being a top tier team, five year plans and spaffing the money on cumbersome defenders. Our committee, who now call themselves directors, didn’t have the imagination to even talk to Leanne Dempster let alone have the capability to bring her to the club. 

So who or what is really driving the pace of change? if we really have a five year plan to get to tier one (and why would somebody of Dempster’s pedigree come if we’re only planning for the top of tier 3) why isn’t that being shared with the members? Just who is running QPFC?

12 hours ago, Ralstonite said:

I watched the game tonight and thought you weren't too bad, other than in the final third. QotS's first goal was taken very well, and down to a good bit of individual skill. Conceding just before the break is never good, and you were always chasing the game after that.

You were playing a side two divisions above you, and given how you're fairing in your own league I can understand why expectations were high, but I wouldn't be too critical. 

There is a good piece of common sense made in these comments. It was quite clear to me from things that have been said earlier on this site, that the first aim is to get out of this league and move up. As long as we are not in League 2 we can't be relegated. With the assistance of the good Lord ( WH ) not the other one, we can do this and perhaps go on even further up the leagues. There are supporters that have been carried away with things so far and they should ask themselves why these guys are playing for us and not in a higher league. Of course money may well have something to do with it but do not believe for one minute, as opposed to what their manager said, before the game, that none of the QOS players are on the same money as the QP players are. That has him covering himself in case we beat them and don't forget that they had two players who Ray released, as not good enough for QP, playing for them. As to comments about our Committee men now calling themselves Directors ( else where on this site ) they always did. QP are a Private Limited Company and all of the Committee are registered as Directors at Company House, as they always have been since our Incorporation which I think was about 100 years ago. Ray is just the same as all the players, he too will be judged on results and if he does not get us out of this league and at least keep us in League 1 he will not be with us very long. As to Ms Dempster, who was at the game last night and has been seen in and around Lesser since just before Christmas, I believe, we all await with baited breath on an announcement from the club as to what her role with QP will be.

1 hour ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Except all the new guys are on 2 or 3 year contracts. Virtually a full new squad. So if some of these guys aren’t good enough for L1 why did we pay over-the-odds for them now? And who is going to buy them on an early release from Queen’s Park?

QP members voted on a sales pitch of fear, that if we didn’t go pro we would end up in the lower leagues. I still believe that would have happened. Nothing was ever discussed about being a top tier team, five year plans and spaffing the money on cumbersome defenders. Our committee, who now call themselves directors, didn’t have the imagination to even talk to Leanne Dempster let alone have the capability to bring her to the club. 

So who or what is really driving the pace of change? if we really have a five year plan to get to tier one (and why would somebody of Dempster’s pedigree come if we’re only planning for the top of tier 3) why isn’t that being shared with the members? Just who is running QPFC?

We voted to turn professional. What happens beyond that is up to the elected committee. Personally, if it'd transpired that the committee had said "thanks, but no thanks" to Haughey and/or Dempster, I'd have wanted them chased. Haughey's contacts book securing us one of the most able people in the game can only be a positive as far as I'm concerned. 

If the membership is unhappy about how things have transpired, they'll have the opportunity to make that known when the time comes to vote on committee membership. 

58 minutes ago, Dooflick said:

That has him covering himself in case we beat them and don't forget that they had two players who Ray released, as not good enough for QP, playing for them.

Not quite, McGrory was released last summer, East left the previous summer when Mark Roberts was in charge.

Disappointing as it was ,one poor performance does not constitute a trend and the fact that it was on TV has attracted a lot of negativity from those always waiting to pounce on us so can we please look forward to the Stranraer game with the same enthusiasm and justified confidence as the rest of the league 2 programme.

last season in the cup went to Palmerston and won 2-1 ,with a team who wanted to win, last night  as far as im concerned we had a team who went out thinking they would lose and you could tell by the body language from the start of the game. My first spiders match that  i saw was 11th february 1956,so ive seem all the present commitee in there heyday as players they might not have been the worlds greatest but they gave 100percent 

3 hours ago, bridgeofweirdo said:

Disappointing as it was ,one poor performance does not constitute a trend and the fact that it was on TV has attracted a lot of negativity from those always waiting to pounce on us so can we please look forward to the Stranraer game with the same enthusiasm and justified confidence as the rest of the league 2 programme.

I think it might have been the manner in which the BBC Scotland commentary team and pundits talked up this Queen's Park side like they're the new third force in Scottish football that rubbed a lot of people up the wrong way last night. It might have been James McFadden who described the team as "Championship-ready", while the most animated Michael Stewart got all evening was when Jai Quitongo hit the crossbar. Queen of the South, who were very good in the second half, seemed to be an afterthought.

I said it before but I think this group of players (and possibly the manager too) are a means to an end. They're good enough to win the League 2 title, but what else beyond that? How many of them would supporters want to see kept on beyond the summer? How many of them would get full-time contracts elsewhere in Scotland? Not many, I'd wager.

Given the transformation Queen's Park have gone through over the last 12 months and where they are compared to everyone else in this division, this kind of scrutiny is something everyone associated with the club will have to get used to.