Queen's Park 2020/21

1 hour ago, The Resurrection said:

We definitely played in Kendal on a Friday night.

Thanks, for some bizarre reason I remember taking the train from Lancaster to the Friday night game, a process of elimination made me think it was Kendal. I'm also sure we went for pre-match drinks in a cricket club across the road from the ground. 

22 minutes ago, Skol1867 said:

I remember missing most of the Burscough game because of traffic on the M6 on my drive up from Coventry. Not quite sure what the score was but Ryan Scobie definitely scored the winning goal. Remember Barrow being a shitehole and I think we lost 0-2.

Is my imagination playing tricks with me or was the Barrow game stopped early by the ref because the tackling was getting a little bit over enthusiastic? 

Edited by qpsnapper

7 hours ago, qpsnapper said:

Calling veterans of the the pre-season tours to the North of England in Cowboy's days - I'm trying to piece together the games/results/scorers etc and I've got the details for 1998 (Won 2-1 at Penrith on the Saturday and lost 0-2 at Workington the following day) and 1999 (lost 2-7 at Morecambe on the Friday and lost 1-2 at Gretna on the Sunday.

However, I'm struggling for some details from the 2000 and 2001 trips - can anyone recall where we went/scores?

2000 - Won at Burscough on the Friday and lost at Barrow on the Sunday -  missing scores/scorers.

2001 - Sunday, played Lancaster City, missing result. Also, who did we play on the Friday (was there a cricket ground next to the football ground)? 

2002 was a 1-3 defeat at Lancaster City on the Friday and a 3-1 win at Gretna on the Sunday.

Been through old programmes but still missing the details above, anyone able to cast their minds back?

Edited to add - was it Kendal on the Friday night in 2001?

At Burscough we won 2-1. Danny Ferry equalised before Ryan Scobies winner. Both quite late on

Chris Fisher definitely scored against Lancaster, think it was in the 2002 game

At Gretna - Willie Martin, John Gemmell, Tony Quinn were the scorers

Amazed I can remember that much to be honest 🍻

Edited by Spider Rico

24 minutes ago, Spider Rico said:

At Burscough we won 2-1. Danny Ferry equalised before Ryan Scobies winner. Both quite late on

Chris Fisher definitely scored against Lancaster, think it was in the 2002 game

At Gretna - Willie Martin, John Gemmell, Tony Quinn were the scorers

Amazed I can remember that much to be honest 🍻

Thanks very much, just details for the Barrow game to be confirmed now. 

Edited by qpsnapper

On 28/12/2020 at 22:47, williebraveheart said:

I am sure there are others more in the know than I but Willie Haughey has apparently agreed to meet the wage bill for ten years and we see where we go from there. Immediate, this season, aim is promotion and then to become an established team in league one with the hopes of pushing on to the Championship. The main aim is not be in what will become the league of death League 2 now that the pyramid system is in full swing. I can see at least four or five teams in there just now who have little long term future at this level. I would be disappointed if we lost the opportunity to thrash Clyde four times a season 🤣

Is that out of his own pocket? That's great if it's the case. But look what's happened to Greenock? The way things are going, no club wants to be dependent on a benefactor who may pull out, or run up debts in the club's name. I thought Queens Park wouldn't need to rely on a benefactor given the sale of Hampden.

1 hour ago, qpsnapper said:

Thanks very much, just details for the Barrow game to be confirmed now. 

I'm pretty sure we lost 2 nil. Decent wee social club behind their goal

The Kendal game was 1-1, Ross Jackson equaliser. He also missed a penalty first half. We were all pished after being in that cricket club. 

The game that the ref blew up early for was Morecombe I think. We were 4 down after 20 minutes then Jim Brown pulled back two before ht, one an overhead kick, the other he beat about three of their players. Early second half we should have had a penalty but the ref, who was a complete diddy, for some reason gave a free kick. Our players lost the plot with him and we ended up getting Paul Martin and Ronnie Coyle sent off before losing another 3 goals. I remember we had a bit of " banter" with the ref in the club after the game, 

3 minutes ago, Ralstonite said:

Is that out of his own pocket? That's great if it's the case. But look what's happened to Greenock? The way things are going, no club wants to be dependent on a benefactor who may pull out, or run up debts in the club's name. I thought Queens Park wouldn't need to rely on a benefactor given the sale of Hampden.

It's a donation to fund the playing budget only. It's all been contracted. He doesn't own or run any aspect of the club, he isn't even on the committee. The rest of the club is run from what we have in the bank. Most of the Hampden money is being used to build the new ground at Lesser Hampden 

3 minutes ago, Mick1867 said:

It's a donation to fund the playing budget only. It's all been contracted. He doesn't own or run any aspect of the club, he isn't even on the committee. The rest of the club is run from what we have in the bank. Most of the Hampden money is being used to build the new ground at Lesser Hampden 

That's brilliant. You have no excuse if you're not in the Championship in a few seasons' time.

On 31/12/2020 at 00:43, Mick1867 said:

I'm pretty sure we lost 2 nil. Decent wee social club behind their goal

The Kendal game was 1-1, Ross Jackson equaliser. He also missed a penalty first half. We were all pished after being in that cricket club. 

The game that the ref blew up early for was Morecombe I think. We were 4 down after 20 minutes then Jim Brown pulled back two before ht, one an overhead kick, the other he beat about three of their players. Early second half we should have had a penalty but the ref, who was a complete diddy, for some reason gave a free kick. Our players lost the plot with him and we ended up getting Paul Martin and Ronnie Coyle sent off before losing another 3 goals. I remember we had a bit of " banter" with the ref in the club after the game, 

Morecambe. Jim Brown incredible in that one. The guy had so much talent but just drifted out of senior football.

All a blur a bit later on. Dodgy seafood.

If I remember correctly, the ref took it all in good heart. He was absolutely shocking though.

1 hour ago, Boris the Spider said:

I heard a whisper that the next round game v QOS may be the live game on BBC Scotland. 

Makes sense. Weather forecast is for continued cold spell and Hampden and Firhill (?) are the only two with a heated pitch. Plus the facilities for a broadcast at Hampden is second to none. Plus a reasonable bet for an upset! Plus some pish BBC graphics like “Clash of the Queens”.

Edited by Bring Your Own Socks

1 hour ago, Boris the Spider said:

I heard a whisper that the next round game v QOS may be the live game on BBC Scotland. 

Just assumed it'd be Hearts because of the viewing figures. Great news, if this is the case.

3 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Morecambe. Jim Brown incredible in that one. The guy had so much talent but just drifted out of senior football.

All a blur a bit later on. Dodgy seafood.

If I remember correctly, the ref took it all in good heart. He was absolutely shocking though.

That was the night you tried to throw yourself into the sea! Fortunately the three foot high seafront railings managed to outwit you.