Queen's Park 2020/21

2 minutes ago, an86 said:

I don't consider St Mirren to be a small club. I was thinking more along the lines of Hamilton, Livi and Queen of the South etc. Saints play in the biggest town in Scotland, and I always feel that Paisley has had more of a sense of civic pride than other towns in the West of Scotland as well, and more people are proud to support their hometown team. Maybe that perception is wrong, but it's always a feeling I've had about the place.

We can certainly build, but we're building from a low base, whereas as Saints fan base is well established over generations. I think we can attract a decent following and should be ambitious, but there's also got to be realism as well. I've said for some time, long before the idea of turning pro was even mooted, that we should be marketing ourselves as the club for the southside. Trying to create that link between club and local community will be absolutely key to any off field success. We already do a lot of good within the community, but we need to be louder about it and become something that people want to become part of, both for football and non-football reasons. Of course, both really need to be successful for the club to grow in a meaningful way.

There's no doubt that Lesser will see an improved atmosphere. It's simply not possible to create a good atmosphere with 500 people at Hampden. Would say we're one of the better clubs in the lower leagues in terms of making a wee bit of noise on the road, so hopefully that can transfer to our new home.

Aye, you're possibly right about Paisley. Even some of the Old Firm fans I know are still proud of the club, however I would suggest most football fans still support one of the Cheeks.

Another point I forgot to make is that as an amateur club, Queen's Park were never going to progress beyond the bottom two leagues, and I would imagine people would find that limit frustrating and off-putting. I certainly would. At least with Albion Rovers, et al, there's the fantasy that the club could one day play in the top flight. Ironically it now appears that Queen's Park really have that opportunity, thanks to the fact they can afford to run a full-time squad.

3 hours ago, Ralstonite said:

Aye, you're possibly right about Paisley. Even some of the Old Firm fans I know are still proud of the club, however I would suggest most football fans still support one of the Cheeks.

Another point I forgot to make is that as an amateur club, Queen's Park were never going to progress beyond the bottom two leagues, and I would imagine people would find that limit frustrating and off-putting. I certainly would. At least with Albion Rovers, et al, there's the fantasy that the club could one day play in the top flight. Ironically it now appears that Queen's Park really have that opportunity, thanks to the fact they can afford to run a full-time squad.

Steady now.

Success on the park and the numbers will creep up. It's a shame there's no fans allowed at the moment. Top of the league - you'd already see increased attendances. 

The Warriors example is interesting. Obviously I never went because rugby is gash but - it was a stadium starting from scratch and was a good match day experience by all accounts. Nothing to do with the fact that you're allowed to booze if you support a different shaped ball... 

19 hours ago, Anonymous Spider said:

Nothing to do with the fact that you're allowed to booze if you support a different shaped ball... 

Work colleague has a season ticket for the egg chasing and that's the main reason she goes really.

This has just reminded me how much I missed our trip to Wattenscheid this year. Beer and bratwurst at the game( four euros), proper terracing and no arsehole stewards.  

Edited by Mick1867

There was a bounce match at Pollok this afternoon against Caledonian Braves, Queen's winning 6-1.

Five up at half time with goals from Will Baynham (3), Craig Slater and a trialist, Braves pulled a goal back in 77 minutes but trialist No2 scored the sixth a few minutes later. 90 Minutes for Simon Murray as well.

Team: Jacques Heraghty, Max Gillies (Dylan Kerr 84m), Aidan McDonald (Lewis Reid 71m), Trialist, Brody Paterson (Zach Mauchin 84m), Craig Slater (Gregor Nicol 61m), Trialist (Liam McQuade 81m), Louis Longridge (Callum Biggar H/T), Michael McGlinchey (Andrew Caffrey 71m), Simon Murray, Will Baynham (Alex Bannon 61m).  

2 hours ago, qpsnapper said:

There was a bounce match at Pollok this afternoon against Caledonian Braves, Queen's winning 6-1.

Five up at half time with goals from Will Baynham (3), Craig Slater and a trialist, Braves pulled a goal back in 77 minutes but trialist No2 scored the sixth a few minutes later. 90 Minutes for Simon Murray as well.

Team: Jacques Heraghty, Max Gillies (Dylan Kerr 84m), Aidan McDonald (Lewis Reid 71m), Trialist, Brody Paterson (Zach Mauchin 84m), Craig Slater (Gregor Nicol 61m), Trialist (Liam McQuade 81m), Louis Longridge (Callum Biggar H/T), Michael McGlinchey (Andrew Caffrey 71m), Simon Murray, Will Baynham (Alex Bannon 61m).  

Was Trialist number 1 a centre half?

15 hours ago, qpsnapper said:

Thanks Snapper. Good to see the development going on in the background. And trialists still being considered. 

15 minutes ago, jinky said:

Considering Braves were playing last night and bulk of their first team aren't available during the day I'm not sure what Braves team you were playing?

I think we played their 23s team a few weeks ago so it was probably them again

Had no idea Match was still on the go. A wee bit like when I saw posters for a new album by Cornershop last year. I just assumed they'd both vanished around 1998. Good stuff, though. Good number of followers and anything getting our name out there is a good thing.

10 hours ago, an86 said:

Had no idea Match was still on the go. A wee bit like when I saw posters for a new album by Cornershop last year. I just assumed they'd both vanished around 1998. Good stuff, though. Good number of followers and anything getting our name out there is a good thing.

I was more of a Shoot boy.  Still get a slight pang of disappointment each Christmas when I don't get an annual, although it seems unlikely they'd feature full colour photos of Gary Birtles anymore. 

Mind being surprised to hear a new Cornershop tune on the wireless earlier in the year.  Seem to mind thinking it was  fairly decent.

I was more of a Shoot boy.  Still get a slight pang of disappointment each Christmas when I don't get an annual, although it seems unlikely they'd feature full colour photos of Gary Birtles anymore. 
Mind being surprised to hear a new Cornershop tune on the wireless earlier in the year.  Seem to mind thinking it was  fairly decent.

Never moved beyond Hot Shot Hamish myself. Hardest shot in the world apparently.

13 minutes ago, JT1867 said:

Move over Morecambe and Wise, highlight of this year's festive TV schedules is Dundonald Bluebell v Queen's Park on Monday 28th.

Game has been moved to Kelty Hearts ground, kick off 7:45pm.

The SFA made a big noise about stopping the random switching of grounds in the Scottish Cup. If this is true then it was just noise.

The Juniors had to get a minimum SFA licence for their Club and Stadium so why are they allowed to switch stadium like this. 
Not allowed in England where the FA Cup has a massive support because of the wee teams shot at the limelight and TV at their grounds when they play a league club. 

1 hour ago, Brazilianlex said:

The SFA made a big noise about stopping the random switching of grounds in the Scottish Cup. If this is true then it was just noise.

The Juniors had to get a minimum SFA licence for their Club and Stadium so why are they allowed to switch stadium like this. 
Not allowed in England where the FA Cup has a massive support because of the wee teams shot at the limelight and TV at their grounds when they play a league club. 

It's hardly a random switching of ground when there's a reason for it (floodlight issues) and the SFA needs to approve the change.