Queen's Park 2020/21

On 07/12/2020 at 21:15, The Resurrection said:

In 2020, I believe we have only lost 1 league game but have yet to win a cup tie!

...and that was away to Cove. Our league record under Raymondo is pretty outstanding .

Played 17 Won 12 Drawn 4 Lost 1

I wonder if we will even get to see the next cup tie on Boxing Day. Heard that the SFA at the moment aren't letting clubs stream games live which sums up that shower of utter wanks. Even the SPFL managed to get something sorted with the broadcaster for the league cup 

Edited by Mick1867

3 hours ago, Mick1867 said:

...and that was away to Cove. Our league record under Raymondo is pretty outstanding .

Played 17 Won 12 Drawn 4 Lost 1

I wonder if we will even get to see the next cup tie on Boxing Day. Heard that the SFA at the moment aren't letting clubs stream games live which sums up that shower of utter wanks. Even the SPFL managed to get something sorted with the broadcaster for the league cup 

Decision now reversed apparently. 

41 minutes ago, big al said:

Have read a lot of comments on here about building the fan base. Realistically, how many QP fans do you reckon you can get through the turnstiles regularly, assuming you’re doing well and get promoted?

Big Al, what a question !!!!!     If I knew that answer , I'd be out right now choosing my lottery numbers, with a better chance of a result than answering your question.

Lesser Hampden when it's ready for use is expected to seat just short of 2,000, on 2 sides of the ground with expansion room at either end for possible terracing.

At the last census Glasgow's population was just over 1,.000,000.

I'll let you work out a realistic attendance from those figures, but with clubs such as LIvi & Hamilton surviving on averages just over 2,000, no reason why we can't achieve the same.

But if my Lottery numbers come do up, I'll buy back Hampden from the SFA (Sorry Football Association), and the sky's the limit :thumsup2

11 hours ago, big al said:

Have read a lot of comments on here about building the fan base. Realistically, how many QP fans do you reckon you can get through the turnstiles regularly, assuming you’re doing well and get promoted?

I would say that it would not be unreasonable to be aiming for the 2,000 plus mark; albeit the capacity of the New Lesser will be around 1,700 when completed. A few years back on our return to Hampden following the year away for the Commonwealth Games, there were over 2,500 for the New Year game against Clyde. Now, there were several factors contributing to the attendance that day; it should be the benchmark.

I would say that it would not be unreasonable to be aiming for the 2,000 plus mark; albeit the capacity of the New Lesser will be around 1,700 when completed. A few years back on our return to Hampden following the year away for the Commonwealth Games, there were over 2,500 for the New Year game against Clyde. Now, there were several factors contributing to the attendance that day; it should be the benchmark.

For that game against Clyde with the letter/Christmas card drop in the local area, there’s no harm in employing a similar tactic. Letter dropping the immediate area and letting people know you’re there. Why not some sort of mission statement, explain the clubs change in circumstances, the change to professionalism and the move to lesser Hampden. Advertise themselves as a club that really is for everyone in Glasgow. People do (I think so anyway) want a real alternative to Celtic and Rangers. I think local people would get behind an ambitious club that wants to have strong ties with the community.

Similarly I think the move to Lesser will also help. When Glasgow Warriors moved to Scotstoun from Firhill it felt like a big positive step, coupled with an emerging group of very good players and improving results it lead to a surge in attendance, then theneed for additional stands behind the posts and the culmination was the club being on the crest of a wave that carried them to its first championship title and making 2 other pro 12/14 finals in a 5 year period. There’s no reason why Queens Park can’t make similar positive strides.

For that game against Clyde with the letter/Christmas card drop in the local area, there’s no harm in employing a similar tactic. Letter dropping the immediate area and letting people know you’re there. Why not some sort of mission statement, explain the clubs change in circumstances, the change to professionalism and the move to lesser Hampden. Advertise themselves as a club that really is for everyone in Glasgow. People do (I think so anyway) want a real alternative to Celtic and Rangers. I think local people would get behind an ambitious club that wants to have strong ties with the community.

Similarly I think the move to Lesser will also help. When Glasgow Warriors moved to Scotstoun from Firhill it felt like a big positive step, coupled with an emerging group of very good players and improving results it lead to a surge in attendance, then theneed for additional stands behind the posts and the culmination was the club being on the crest of a wave that carried them to its first championship title and making 2 other pro 12/14 finals in a 5 year period. There’s no reason why Queens Park can’t make similar positive strides.
100% this. Couldn't have said it better. This is exactly the sort of proactive approach we should be making in the run up to the start of 21/22 season. From what I've heard from them over the last couple of years I have faith that our president and committee agree and remain confident that we can make every success of this.

13 hours ago, big al said:

Other small full-time clubs, in difficult geographical areas, in terms of competition, have a core of about 1000/1200. It won't be a case of flicking a switch and people suddenly coming through the gates. Larger away supports, if we're successful, will be a factor as well. It's really hard to say, but there's no point in not aiming high if we have the resources to do so. Leann Dempster coming in is a statement of intent on the off field front. 

Cheers for the replies. Will look on with interest however you progress.

2000 every other week seems pretty ambitious to an outsider like myself. That’s quite a lot of people who currently do something else on a Saturday who are going to change their leisure time because you have some money behind you.

Presume the championship is the target?

Best of luck anyway.

Dundonald was the last ground I went to before lockdown- (I didn't get into another game for 8 months until I was asked to take photos at Edinburgh United..)

IMG_20200307_142535548_HDR.thumb.jpg.87ed3dfdfb0cd739ff66465f44676963.jpg

It's not a bad ground, pitch can be a bit swampy. It's a shame you're missing out on a good trip 

4 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Dundonald was the last ground I went to before lockdown- (I didn't get into another game for 8 months until I was asked to take photos at Edinburgh United..)

IMG_20200307_142535548_HDR.thumb.jpg.87ed3dfdfb0cd739ff66465f44676963.jpg

It's not a bad ground, pitch can be a bit swampy. It's a shame you're missing out on a good trip 

According to a poster on the Domestic Cup forum, Dundonald's floodlights are out of action until the end of January, so they might switch game to Stark's Park like they did with their tie yesterday.

One game from the round is also scheduled to be live on BBC on the Monday night.

On 11/12/2020 at 21:31, big al said:

I'm not a Queen's Park fan, but I reckon it depends on the level in which they're playing.

I reckon a number of factors need to be taken into consideration, which I'll address in replies below.

On 11/12/2020 at 22:25, QP's in my DNA said:

Big Al, what a question !!!!!     If I knew that answer , I'd be out right now choosing my lottery numbers, with a better chance of a result than answering your question.

Lesser Hampden when it's ready for use is expected to seat just short of 2,000, on 2 sides of the ground with expansion room at either end for possible terracing.

At the last census Glasgow's population was just over 1,.000,000.

I'll let you work out a realistic attendance from those figures, but with clubs such as LIvi & Hamilton surviving on averages just over 2,000, no reason why we can't achieve the same.

But if my Lottery numbers come do up, I'll buy back Hampden from the SFA (Sorry Football Association), and the sky's the limit :thumsup2

The Glasgow Metropolitan area has a population of 1.6 million! I think Hampden spoilt the atmosphere at games, and I would think Lesser Hampden will offer a better spectator experience, which will be one of the factors that will encourage people to attend.

On 12/12/2020 at 08:40, CathcartSkins said:

I agree 2,000 is definitely realistic, depending on the division in which they're playing.

On 12/12/2020 at 10:38, an86 said:

Other small full-time clubs, in difficult geographical areas, in terms of competition, have a core of about 1000/1200. It won't be a case of flicking a switch and people suddenly coming through the gates. Larger away supports, if we're successful, will be a factor as well. It's really hard to say, but there's no point in not aiming high if we have the resources to do so. Leann Dempster coming in is a statement of intent on the off field front. 

Are St. Mirren a 'small, full-time club'? We have a core of 3,500 and play less than six miles away from Ibrox.

Overall, I think there are a number of variables which influence the level of a club's support:

1) Population - being located in Glasgow should benefit Queen's Park, as someone has already suggested. Though of course people's allegiance to an existing club will also be a factor. However, lots of Old Firm fans might not fancy taking their kids or either cannot afford to take them or cannot get tickets, and so will perhaps choose to go to Lesser instead.

2) Team's success - People like to see a side that wins, especially of they score lots of goals and/or play entertaining football.

3) Atmosphere - most football supporters will enjoy a noisy, buoyant atmosphere. That was severely lacking at Hampden, but may not be at Lesser. Ultras help this, as do singing sections, terracing and decent stewarding policies.

I'm disappointed that Lesser won't have any proper terracing, but hopefully that can be changed. I reckon if Queen's Park get to the Championship, 2,000 crowds are realistic, more when playing teams with a decent travelling support.

15 minutes ago, Ralstonite said:

Are St. Mirren a 'small, full-time club'? We have a core of 3,500 and play less than six miles away from Ibrox.

Overall, I think there are a number of variables which influence the level of a club's support:

1) Population - being located in Glasgow should benefit Queen's Park, as someone has already suggested. Though of course people's allegiance to an existing club will also be a factor. However, lots of Old Firm fans might not fancy taking their kids or either cannot afford to take them or cannot get tickets, and so will perhaps choose to go to Lesser instead.

2) Team's success - People like to see a side that wins, especially of they score lots of goals and/or play entertaining football.

3) Atmosphere - most football supporters will enjoy a noisy, buoyant atmosphere. That was severely lacking at Hampden, but may not be at Lesser. Ultras help this, as do singing sections, terracing and decent stewarding policies.

I'm disappointed that Lesser won't have any proper terracing, but hopefully that can be changed. I reckon if Queen's Park get to the Championship, 2,000 crowds are realistic, more when playing teams with a decent travelling support.

I don't consider St Mirren to be a small club. I was thinking more along the lines of Hamilton, Livi and Queen of the South etc. Saints play in the biggest town in Scotland, and I always feel that Paisley has had more of a sense of civic pride than other towns in the West of Scotland as well, and more people are proud to support their hometown team. Maybe that perception is wrong, but it's always a feeling I've had about the place.

We can certainly build, but we're building from a low base, whereas as Saints fan base is well established over generations. I think we can attract a decent following and should be ambitious, but there's also got to be realism as well. I've said for some time, long before the idea of turning pro was even mooted, that we should be marketing ourselves as the club for the southside. Trying to create that link between club and local community will be absolutely key to any off field success. We already do a lot of good within the community, but we need to be louder about it and become something that people want to become part of, both for football and non-football reasons. Of course, both really need to be successful for the club to grow in a meaningful way.

There's no doubt that Lesser will see an improved atmosphere. It's simply not possible to create a good atmosphere with 500 people at Hampden. Would say we're one of the better clubs in the lower leagues in terms of making a wee bit of noise on the road, so hopefully that can transfer to our new home.