Queen's Park 2020/21

1 hour ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

The gentlemen who met at 3 Eglinton Terrace must be spinning in their graves.

That was 153 years ago ffs!

Everything evolves or dies. Who knows what will happen in the next few years. One thing is for certain is it won't be a long lingering decline that was our future if we hadn't decided to change.

If we were still amateur, would we have a squad this season. Look at Pollok etc. when they asked their players to play for nothing. They said piss off!

Edited by The Resurrection

22 minutes ago, The Resurrection said:

That was 153 years ago ffs!

I see. So all the history is gone too now? Except the Articles of the club remained the same since around 1900, and are still the same barring the replacement of one word. And that was another slight of hand. In the earlier meetings the suggestion by the presenters was that the club would have both amateur and professional options, by way of a transition. This would be enough to save us from the peril of relegation. And I remember a committee member, might even have been the President, stating that a sustained position in L1 had to be the objective. This can’t have been my misunderstanding as there was a healthy debate on this very forum little more than a year ago discussing how that mix might work.  But the second ballot was specifically to remove “amateur” and replace it with “professional”. Too late for further debate at that point.

it was also peculiar that the announcement of Mister Haughey’s involvement came at a very late stage, the last meeting in fact before the vote. And even more peculiar that at the recent AGM there was no mention of the philanthropists role, or contributions. The accounts of course were for 2019 so no rules broken. It just seems very odd that a life (of the club) changing event didn’t even warrant an acknowledgement. Especially as the lofty ambition for L1 has now become a mere stepping stone.

12 hours ago, The man with no name said:

In the far future, when we look back on his tenure as Head Coach, I'm sure we will see a league record that will be the most successful of any manager we have ever had.

We are building something great here. Next up is our first home game in over 7 months. On a big, decent pitch, with the whole week to prepare, I'm sure we will see the real Queen's Park.

That's a bold statement. No pressure Ray!

re the pitch, can we please not go down this road? Stirling is one of the best grass pitches in Scotland. If we're gonna have this wonderful league  record that you predict then we're gonna have to win matches on all types of pitches.  

11 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

And the 5-6 years before that when the Negotiators should have been positionIng themselves with a strong hand, rather than a fistful of hope. 

I agree with this bit of your post but my comment was based on the fact they initially only offered us a quid, which then became 2.5 million. Our business consultant was telling us to accept that before the top up that Ben mentioned.

9 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

I see. So all the history is gone too now? Except the Articles of the club remained the same since around 1900, and are still the same barring the replacement of one word. And that was another slight of hand. In the earlier meetings the suggestion by the presenters was that the club would have both amateur and professional options, by way of a transition. This would be enough to save us from the peril of relegation. And I remember a committee member, might even have been the President, stating that a sustained position in L1 had to be the objective. This can’t have been my misunderstanding as there was a healthy debate on this very forum little more than a year ago discussing how that mix might work.  But the second ballot was specifically to remove “amateur” and replace it with “professional”. Too late for further debate at that point.

it was also peculiar that the announcement of Mister Haughey’s involvement came at a very late stage, the last meeting in fact before the vote. And even more peculiar that at the recent AGM there was no mention of the philanthropists role, or contributions. The accounts of course were for 2019 so no rules broken. It just seems very odd that a life (of the club) changing event didn’t even warrant an acknowledgement. Especially as the lofty ambition for L1 has now become a mere stepping stone.

If you had reservations about what was proposed at the last meeting then I assume you stuck your hand up and said your piece.  If I was as concerned as you sound about Willie Haughey's involvement then I wouldn't have kept my mouth shut. Did you end up voting against the proposal?

As for our ambitions,.I clearly heard Gerry say at the meetings that our aim was to be as successful as Arbroath or Alloa, both currently championship clubs.  I'm not particularly comfortable with all the recent media talk about more "lofty ambition" to be honest. It's good publicity for us I suppose but we need to do our talking on the pitch first, otherwise we just look daft imo. I'm quite happy for the aim to be a sustained League 1 position and having a crack at promotion to the Championship ( ffs Gus had is in a play off spot for that at one point with a few games to go)    

I didn’t think anyone was in any doubt that once we went professional all bets were off - any money we could attract from friendly sources to improve the playing squad would be welcome.
Especially coming from someone who has helped QP greatly in the past and from all accounts has a genuine fondness for us.
I’m all for our history but I fail to see how looking to progress beyond L1 is in any way a betrayal of that. I still think that I’ll believe it when I see it though.

20 hours ago, Mick1867 said:

You were back in two days and it wisnae that stirring. Bit of a let down tbh 😛

Just couldn’t help myself 😂 Mckinnons record at Championship and League 1 is awful. We’ve not scored a goal in our last 4 games and I can just see the full season being negative boring football. That’s how it’s been at his previous clubs. Hope I eat my words. 

Anyone know the situation with the office opening hours? I thought it was open Monday, Wednesday and Friday, 10.00am to 4pm. Tried on serval occasions on Friday to get through on the phone with no joy and can’t get through again today. Keeps going straight to answering machine. 

Want to update my address / give them my email address (again), so I can get my log in details for Saturday. 

Anyone know the situation with the office opening hours? I thought it was open Monday, Wednesday and Friday, 10.00am to 4pm. Tried on serval occasions on Friday to get through on the phone with no joy and can’t get through again today. Keeps going straight to answering machine. 

Want to update my address / give them my email address (again), so I can get my log in details for Saturday. 

No idea what the hours are but there is no issue with access to the office as far as I know. Hope it doesn’t stop anyone getting their log in details before Saturday.

18 hours ago, The man with no name said:

Ray McKinnon has lost 1 league game. That was away to Cove Rangers, who are a pretty decent side!

In the far future, when we look back on his tenure as Head Coach, I'm sure we will see a league record that will be the most successful of any manager we have ever had.

We are building something great here. Next up is our first home game in over 7 months. On a big, decent pitch, with the whole week to prepare, I'm sure we will see the real Queen's Park.

Sounds like you’ve had a say in his appointment with those words, very defensive 😉 

I’d bloody expect his tenure to be successful with the cash he has to splash. I don’t remember Mark Roberts getting such luxuries. Ludicrous to compare him to any previous manager. 

His plan is to climb ‘leagues’. If he fails to win the league this year with his budget then he shouldn’t be the man to do that job at Queen’s Park. From what I see though he’s the sugar saviour and everyone is to fall in line. 

So far I see a guy that’s crippled the old squad to build his own scheme with his loyalties. Shafting Galty (who I hear from a good source didn’t even get consulted on the captaincy) and let our young talent go to our competitors while we don’t even have a full bench. Can’t believe QP fans aren’t more challenging of the decisions of late. 

I hope the attractive, dominant football starts soon. I’m sure it will with the squad we have. 

Edited by QPSpider1867

If we're building a full-time squad, we're not just building it for League Two. Which of the guys from last season showed enough to suggest they were capable of being full-time footballers a level above this, bearing in mind we were mid to bottom half of the table before McKinnon came in?

Jamieson, Lidouren, Kouider-Aissa. Not much beyond that who would have challenged for a first team start. In my opinion, guys like McGrory and Magee would have been fine as squad playwrs, but would sitting on the bench have aided their development? Best for them to move on, play and potentially develop into better players. That wasn't happening here. 

Queen's Park don't owe players any more than players owe us. If any of the guys who were let go had received a better offer in the past, they'd have been off. If the manager feels they don't fit the direction we're moving in, then they won't be retained. There's no room for setiment. It's a results game and that's what Ray McKinnon will be judged on over the course of the season. 

1 hour ago, QPSpider1867 said:

Sounds like you’ve had a say in his appointment with those words, very defensive 😉 

I’d bloody expect his tenure to be successful with the cash he has to splash. I don’t remember Mark Roberts getting such luxuries. Ludicrous to compare him to any previous manager. 

His plan is to climb ‘leagues’. If he fails to win the league this year with his budget then he shouldn’t be the man to do that job at Queen’s Park. From what I see though he’s the sugar saviour and everyone is to fall in line. 

So far I see a guy that’s crippled the old squad to build his own scheme with his loyalties. Shafting Galty (who I hear from a good source didn’t even get consulted on the captaincy) and let our young talent go to our competitors while we don’t even have a full bench. Can’t believe QP fans aren’t more challenging of the decisions of late. 

I hope the attractive, dominant football starts soon. I’m sure it will with the squad we have. 

I would be more inclined to pay attention to your thoughts if it wasn't for the fact that before moaning about McKinnon you moaned constantly about Mark Roberts and before him Gus MacPherson.

Definitely a glass half empty person.

20 minutes ago, JT1867 said:

I would be more inclined to pay attention to your thoughts if it wasn't for the fact that before moaning about McKinnon you moaned constantly about Mark Roberts and before him Gus MacPherson.

Definitely a glass half empty person.

The football chat has stopped. They've begun targeting each other. Mon the hoops ⚫⚪

The glass is empty.

1 hour ago, QPSpider1867 said:

Oh he did have a say in his appointment, although he has never admitted to be on the committee. the TMWNN is very much part of the internal scene at QP.

19 minutes ago, Dooflick said:

Oh he did have a say in his appointment, although he has never admitted to be on the committee. the TMWNN is very much part of the internal scene at QP.

Going to contact admin as see if they can have "Every Breath You Take" by The Police play over your posts. Utterly fixated with poor old TMWNN.