Queen's Park 2020/21

19 minutes ago, an86 said:

We famously never had any disappointing performances as an amateur side, and certainly none containing any of those four capped players. 

And it definitely isn’t the case that it was 2013 when any of them last played for Queen’s Park.

Incidentally, if a decade of on field success had to be traded for us not producing a single decent player from the system, I'd take it in a heartbeat.

That, obviously, doesn't mean that's what I want to happen, because I want the club to succeed in every department. However, we have to get away from any sort of notion that we're some sort of boys club where the primary goal is producing young players. Our primary goal is to win football matches, whether that's with or without youth products, or whether it's stylish or ugly. 

4 hours ago, spiders4ever said:

I should have been more specific. I meant out of the SPFL. 

Aye, you already posted that on Thursday but thanks for the reminder.

With regards to those four years that I mentioned we got relegated from a higher league. That happened because most of our better players eventually left us to go professional so we only ever had one or two seasons up there before we went back to the bottom league. It's pretty obvious the current aim is to stop that happening in the future (IF we manage to get promotion again that is)

On 15/10/2020 at 22:01, Ralstonite said:

Just out of interest, how much did you sell Hampden for? Was it just five million, or are you still entitled to some revenue from concerts, etc?

We haven't been receiving any additional revenue from concerts etc since the SFA took over the management of the ground in 2000.

5 million was way above what they initially offered us so we did pretty well to negotiate that much   

18 hours ago, QPSpider1867 said:

Awk I’m just throwing the line out. Aye you’re right we’re great. Lots to celebrate. Thanks for the advice man. 

I'm not a glory hunter. I support my team, win, draw or lose.  Lots to celebrate - We have  only played one league game. A bit harsh to judge on that. I don't know how many games we will win, draw or lose this season but I'm certainly not going to be as miserable as you but then again maybe you think I just don't care! 

1 hour ago, an86 said:

Our primary goal is to win football matches, whether that's with or without youth products, or whether it's stylish or ugly. 

The re-writing of history by some of our support has always made me laugh. The Billy Stark years are probably to blame for this. Successful teams playing lovely football full of players from our youth system supplemented with the likes of Ally Graham, Paul Ronald, Mick Dunlop, Agostini etc. This suddenly became " the Queen's Park way". Every manager since then has had to live up to that and every manager's style of play before that is conveniently forgotten. The fact is we had to get results ugly plenty of times under Stark, as well as under Hunter and McCormack.    

Edited by Mick1867

On 15/10/2020 at 11:38, QPSpider1867 said:

Interesting comments. I’m logging off. I’ll be back in a month to post something stirring. Cya then. 

You were back in two days and it wisnae that stirring. Bit of a let down tbh 😛

13 minutes ago, qpfc said:

Need to remember we’ve literally lost one league game in 11 under McKinnon, even from last season we looked a million miles better than under Roberts 

Yep. The transition was never going to be without the odd bump in the road either. We *should* win the league with this squad and full time status. It doesn't mean we're going to be on it and blowing teams away every week, though.

Livi dropped points in 12 of their 36 games and Rangers dropped points in 11 out of 36 games. Both won the league comfortably. That's not me saying that we'll win anything comfortably or, indeed, at all. Just pointing of the realities of the most recent full-timers in the league. Of course, looking at every game on an individual basis, the full-time team will be favourites 100% of the time. It doesn't work that way, though. 

Unquestionably, we need to be better than we were at Stirling but it's only an issue if it becomes habitual, rather than occasional. Folk will point to the League Cup group games as well, but I've never taken them as a reference point for anything and I'm not about to start now. We've played one proper game as far as I'm concerned. Pretty confident that we will grow stronger as we bed in and the superior fitness levels shine through. 

22 hours ago, QPSpider1867 said:

That was sh!t. Can’t believe we’re paying these guys. Absolute nightmare when Haughey stops the funding cause McKinnon is awful and we’ve signed a bunch of championship duds. 

Anyway, the positives are they didn’t score....

3 games played and not 1 goal. Absolutely pish.

Entertain me with replies. 

You are nearly right, it was very disappointing when you consider that in February we beat them 3-1 with young Moore scoring 2 goals that day. There is no point in signing better players!!!! if they are not going to gel. The fact is we only played 2 preseason friendlies, and whose fault was that? That did not give our new players anytime to get to know one another on the park in real games. Only time will tell if Mr. McKinnon has put together the right blend of players, for us to do better than we did yesterday.

2 minutes ago, Dooflick said:

The fact is we only played 2 preseason friendlies, and whose fault was that? 

No-one's. We had a limited number of options of who we could play, given that twelve teams have started the season. We also had a team cancel on us. You also have to factor in whether we wanted to play multiple games against teams who hadn't been tested, before it was absolutely essential, and creating additional risk of positive cases before competitive action got under way. We actually played three friendlies btw. 

Nobody had a normal pre-season and very few sides played the same number of games that they normally would have. A number of teams, including ourselves, are still putting the finishing touches to things as well. We're not living in normal times. Shit does, and will continue to happen and we'll have to deal with it like everyone else. 

You are nearly right, it was very disappointing when you consider that in February we beat them 3-1 with young Moore scoring 2 goals that day. There is no point in signing better players!!!! if they are not going to gel. The fact is we only played 2 preseason friendlies, and whose fault was that? That did not give our new players anytime to get to know one another on the park in real games. Only time will tell if Mr. McKinnon has put together the right blend of players, for us to do better than we did yesterday.

In February, they were two totally different teams, Stirling has strengthened massively as well since then.

2 hours ago, Dooflick said:

Rangers B 1 QP 1

QP 1 St. Johnstone 0

Airdrie 1 QP 0.

I make that 3?

5 hours ago, Mick1867 said:

A radical idea would be to send those members a letter and send emails to everyone else.

Yes. No idea why they haven't done this to save postage. I know its not a great amount but if  the club is so strapped for cash surely we should be looking for any way to save money.

As my old granny used to say - many a mickle makes a muckle. 

14 hours ago, NathanQP said:

In February, they were two totally different teams, Stirling has strengthened massively as well since then.

To be fair, is that not what he is trying to say? The team that beat them 3-1 had gelled where as this team hasn't yet? 

I don't care if Stirling have "strengthened massively", we should be performing a lot better than we did yesterday. I don't mind drawing tough away games, it happens a lot and will continue to do so. It was the manner in which it was achieved.  I'm not one to believe all the pre-season hype about our new signings - prefer to wait til they start doing the business on the pitch - but I do expect better than what was served up yesterday. Pretty sure the manager and players realise they can do much better as well.      

Edited by Mick1867

Ray McKinnon has lost 1 league game. That was away to Cove Rangers, who are a pretty decent side!

In the far future, when we look back on his tenure as Head Coach, I'm sure we will see a league record that will be the most successful of any manager we have ever had.

We are building something great here. Next up is our first home game in over 7 months. On a big, decent pitch, with the whole week to prepare, I'm sure we will see the real Queen's Park.

8 hours ago, Mick1867 said:

We haven't been receiving any additional revenue from concerts etc since the SFA took over the management of the ground in 2000.

5 million was way above what they initially offered us so we did pretty well to negotiate that much   

It’s not really £5m in real terms. There’s 8 annual payments of £250kpa due to start after the first two years of the deal. At an average 2% inflation over those ten years there’s about £200k in real terms lost due to inflation. I recollect the reason for this protracted payment plan was it would “help our cash flow”. Putting it in our bank and letting it attract interest would have helped the cash flow. Allowing the SFA 10 years to settle their already paltry offer wasn’t great negotiations. 

But we were just Amateurs then, right? And the 5-6 years before that when the Negotiators should have been positionIng themselves with a strong hand, rather than a fistful of hope. Everything’s changed significantly now. Not least the introduction of a so-called benefactor with a dubious past, now with a bought and paid for heritage and landowner for another Glasgow football club. No conflict of interest there. The gentlemen who met at 3 Eglinton Terrace must be spinning in their graves.

Edited by Bring Your Own Socks

It’s not really £5m in real terms. There’s 8 annual payments of £250kpa due to start after the first two years of the deal. At an average 2% inflation over those ten years there’s about £400k in real terms lost due to inflation. I recollect the reason for this protracted payment plan was it would “help our cash flow”. Putting it in our bank and letting it attract interest would have helped the cash flow. Allowing the SFA 10 years to settle their already paltry offer wasn’t great negotiations. 
But we were just Amateurs then, right? And the 5-6 years before that when the Negotiators should have been positionIng themselves with a strong hand, rather than a fistful of hope. Everything’s changed significantly now. Not least the introduction of a so-called benefactor with a dubious past, now with a bought and paid for heritage and landowner for another Glasgow football club. No conflict of interest there. The gentlemen who met at 3 Eglinton Terrace must be spinning in their graves.
My understanding was that we only got as much as £5m because we gave them the option of paying in instalments. The SFA didn't have/couldnt afford/weren't willing to pay the full amount of their share in a lump sum so if we hadn't agreed to annual payments then we would have got a lower offer. I dont know what the difference would have been, but I'm taking it that we went for whichever option gave us the highest total in the long run.
One thing I never quite picked up was whether Haughy and Hunter gave their contribution direct to us, or gave it to the SFA who will in turn use it to make their payments to us.
If it's the latter, it's possible that they are paying the SFA in instalments, which could be another reason why we didn't get it all in a lump sum.
All in all, the SFA got it for a song, but we are where we are and now have an opportunity to create a new ground far better suited to our needs.