Queen's Park 2020/21

On 11/10/2020 at 09:21, Spider Rico said:

Important week ahead now to get the match fitness levels way above what they were yesterday

Aye that's the important thing. Given the lack of friendlies played then I'm viewing these cup games as an extension of pre-season ( especially when we lose 😉)   

Second half on Saturday we ran out of steam and couldn't keep any sort of possession. It was so disappointing. But there was enough promise for me in the first half. We played some nice stuff and created a few decent openings, one of them Lyon should have done a lot better at. Longridge looks a baller, McHugh will be a handful in league 2, and the centre of defence is solid. Can see McKinnon making a couple of changes tomorrow night, just so everyone has had  a proper run out before Saturday   

On 02/10/2020 at 12:57, Mick1867 said:

Higgy as co-commentator, with particular focus on the lack of beekeeping skills among goalies.

On 02/10/2020 at 13:24, Boris the Spider said:

Freddie in the studio for half time analysis.

I was really looking forward to seeing the above nominees for roles in the new media team given a run out on the QPTV highlights, but according to the QP Twitter postings this well known "alternative" motley crew appear to have the gig. and as the sign on the door kind of suggests; there's no getting away from them.

Unless, of course Higgy and Freddy are lined up for a stint on the QPTV highlights show for tomorrow's game with Morton, could be lively then :bounce4

QPsteamingteam.jpg.a5ee521557c9b934f27dfa924d4312d9.jpg

Noticed In the match preview, it mentions that Murray and Slater are not available for a number of weeks. Expected that from Murray as he’s still recovering from a long term injury but disappointing to hear about Slater being injured again, looked class in his limited appearances so far. Here’s hoping another attacking midfielder can be signed 

Extremely disappointing 2nd half, was really encouraged especially the first 30 minutes with tidy passing but slowly we let Morton back in the game and by the 2nd half the intensity levels dropped big time. Obviously still aware that these games act as a means to gain match fitness but undeniably the lack of creativity through the middle of the park was still evident and ultimately the strikers were working off scraps. Longridge and Gillespie probably the more impressive performers. Here’s hoping by Saturday, we’re on it for 90 minutes, that’s when real stuff starts 

Murray and Slater should make an enormous difference to our attacking potency. Thistle and Morton are stronger than anyone else we'll face this season and whilst it hasn't been magnificent stuff, it's not like they've looked a million miles ahead of us for large spells of games. Getting our noses in front in a game would hopefully make a big difference and spur us on. Will be a tough one on Saturday, but I'm confident we can get a positive result.

2 hours ago, an86 said:

Murray and Slater should make an enormous difference to our attacking potency. Thistle and Morton are stronger than anyone else we'll face this season and whilst it hasn't been magnificent stuff, it's not like they've looked a million miles ahead of us for large spells of games. Getting our noses in front in a game would hopefully make a big difference and spur us on. Will be a tough one on Saturday, but I'm confident we can get a positive result.

It would be really nice to score a goal...

...or 2

10 hours ago, Arachnophile said:

It would be really nice to score a goal...

...or 2

..or have more than one shot on target per game. Nobody wants to have a dig at goal, and not much being created for the strikers. McHugh must be frustrated, no wonder he decided to take that free kick himself second half. Our set pieces have been poor, haven't seen Lyon put in a decent one yet. 

Saying that,. I thought we had a much better first half than Saturday. Started off really well, dominating the play. Looked like a stonewall penalty when Robson went down after some nice play. Gillespie looked excellent, as did Grant.

Not sure what happens at half time but first 15 minutes of the second half we were all over the shop, giving away possession cheaply. Rode our luck just before they did score. Rest of the second half was a bit meh. Before anyone reminds me we have lost narrowly to teams from leagues above us, we have a team of players who have played in those leagues and we're told  they are of a higher standard than what we had before. These players can do so much better imo and hopefully they will show us that on Saturday.

We've certainly suffered from a lack of pre season games.  Have to agree that we died a death in the second half at Firhill, but I thought we did well at Morton against a team who finished mid table two leagues above us. Looked a stonewalled when Robson was bundled over.  Worryingly, we were exposed on the left again for the goal but, one terrific save from Willie aside, kept the Ton out.

The real stuff begins this week.

Edited by Hampden Diehard

Does anyone have an opinion on Grant wearing the captains arm band? I’ve not read every post. 

I’m absolutely gutted to see David Galt on the pitch and Grant wearing it. He’s hardly been in the door to be a captain of the club when Galty is Mr QP. Yer a fool if you think Grant cares about the club like Galt. The arm band should mean a lot and be chosen wisely. Looks like it’s went to the gaffers favourite?

Can anyone shed light, is Galt the Club Captain at least? 

I may be cynical here but it appears to be symbolic of the clubs position right now. Tradition and loyalty out the window on this occasion? 

Edited by QPSpider1867

17 minutes ago, QPSpider1867 said:

Does anyone have an opinion on Grant wearing the captains arm band? I’ve not read every post. 

I’m absolutely gutted to see David Galt on the pitch and Grant wearing it. He’s hardly been in the door to be a captain of the club when Galty is Mr QP. Yer a fool if you think Grant cares about the club like Galt. The arm band should mean a lot and be chosen wisely. Looks like it’s went to the gaffers favourite?

Can anyone shed light, is Galt the Club Captain at least? 

I may be cynical here but it appears to be symbolic of the clubs position right now. Tradition and loyalty out the window on this occasion? 

Yeah noticed that aswell from the Morton game. As much as I’d love to see Galt captain, I’d like to think McKinnon would of spoke to both Galt and Grant to discuss the captaincy and what the appropriate solution would be.

I know Grant only joined in January but he really does come across as captain material in my opinion