Queen's Park 2020/21

13 hours ago, JT1867 said:

Paul McGinn has been called up to the Scotland squad for the next two games joining Robertson and Shankland from the 12/13 team.

David Anderson must be next surely?

How Scotland could have done with Dave Anderson on Thursday.

Someone to inject a bit of quality into a midfield lacking in the ability to make that telling pass or the ability to ghost past an opponent.

Oh what memories you've left us with Davie 🤩

Another who left us too soon.

Well another momentous day in the history of our famous club, one for the record books and footie quizzes, for sure.

Even the Beeb are giving us recognition  https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54477753

Will we be starting it with a win?

Who will score our first goal of this new full time era.

Good luck to whichever team is fit enough to take the park, let's hope it's our first 3 pointer :egypt

Really disappointing second half today after an encouraging first half.

The fact we only managed the 3 pre season games played a part and Thistle obviously had played a league cup game already. We looked very tired in the second half and barely completed a pass. The second goal was dreadful to concede after a great finish for the first.

Early days of course but we still look short of numbers in midfield especially if Craig Slater is going to be injured on a regular basis.

The stream quality was excellent so well done to Thistle for that.

2 minutes ago, Spider Rico said:

Really disappointing second half today after an encouraging first half.

The fact we only managed the 3 pre season games played a part and Thistle obviously had played a league cup game already. We looked very tired in the second half and barely completed a pass. The second goal was dreadful to concede after a great finish for the first.

Early days of course but we still look short of numbers in midfield especially if Craig Slater is going to be injured on a regular basis.

The stream quality was excellent so well done to Thistle for that.

Agreed, the way ended we the 1st half I thought we’d kick on and give it a go but it seemed fitness levels took its toll.  We looked organised overall but there was a clear lack of creativity or imagination to get any chance on goal. An attacking midfielder definitely a position needing strengthened with no back up to Slater who seems to be unfortunately fairly injury prone( or maybe he was suspended, anyone know if it only applies to the league?) Lets not forget this has no bearing on the league, I thought the team looked terrific last year in the betfred and that Jack Purdue was gonna tear the league apart and he ended up finishing the season with east Stirling 

8 minutes ago, qpfc said:

Agreed, the way ended we the 1st half I thought we’d kick on and give it a go but it seemed fitness levels took its toll.  We looked organised overall but there was a clear lack of creativity or imagination to get any chance on goal. An attacking midfielder definitely a position needing strengthened with no back up to Slater who seems to be unfortunately fairly injury prone( or maybe he was suspended, anyone know if it only applies to the league?) Lets not forget this has no bearing on the league, I thought the team looked terrific last year in the betfred and that Jack Purdue was gonna tear the league apart and he ended up finishing the season with east Stirling 

Very poor perf      thought we are now professional

Thought the streaming from thistle was poor ...commentary was good . Queens ok in first 45 rubbish in the second 45 ....hopefully use the cup games to get used to playing with each other and work out a system that works ...one up front for me will never be good and don’t understand why Galt never started
unless he was carrying an injury.
Thought Grant was MOTM .

They upped it and we ran out of steam. Think having three games against very decent opposition showed on their part. Ninety minutes under the belt and another game on Tuesday to prepare for the proper stuff next weekend. 

Look well organised in the first half, as I felt we did for the overwhelming majority of the Airdrie game. Will take time to blend and I'm not at all concerned. Still three really important players to come back and one or two more to come in. My only regret is my sobriety and absence from West End pubs. 

10 minutes ago, HoustonSpider99 said:

Noting the squad numbers announced and the window has closed: do we think there will be more to come in?

Aye. He said he wanted to add a couple more. We can still sign loans and free agents. Kilday, Slater and Murray still to get fit and up to speed as well. The bench showed that we're still a wee bit light.

Thistle are really a Championship side. Full-time, on form, and strengthened from last season. We did well to limit them to very few chances or even crosses into the box (bar all the corners which we defended very well). I understand the expectation is high, but this is an entirely new team with two or three games together, and I'm not expecting any results in this group.

Having said that, we lacked composure in midfield. We were organised off the ball but wasteful on the ball. I can't remember who lost possession for the second goal, but it was rubbish, and summed up our lack of sharpness. I don't care how we do in this competition, but hope that today and Tuesday gives us the preparation we need for next Saturday.

12 hours ago, Velvet Donkey said:

Having said that, we lacked composure in midfield. We were organised off the ball but wasteful on the ball. I can't remember who lost possession for the second goal, but it was rubbish, and summed up our lack of sharpness. I don't care how we do in this competition, but hope that today and Tuesday gives us the preparation we need for next Saturday.

Having seen the highlights now it was pretty poor from Louis Longridge for the second goal. Gave the ball away then missed an opportunity to try and win it back.

Important week ahead now to get the match fitness levels way above what they were yesterday

I think we need some realism.

Yesterday's second half was disappointing but Thistle are a level above anything we will face in our division. They are also a bit further on with their squad and match preparation than we are. They had a player who was in the team of the year for our league last season sitting on the bench as an unused sub! 

I expect to see improvement on Tuesday. I expect to see players added this week. This most important thing is to get off to a winning start next Saturday and then keep that momentum going. If we do that then I'll happily look back on yesterday as a good lesson against a good team that we learned from.

Far from being critical I thought the movement as a unit was far and away superior than anything we saw last season. It was evident that Thistle were sharper by dint of playing more games than us at this point. The number of balls we put into their box and headers won in the first half in that area was also encouraging. Yes, we are missing two key players. I have no idea why. I assume injured? The squad is light but Ray has said he hopes to add to it soon. I was greatly encouraged by what I saw both today and against Airdrie. Don't care about Tuesday's game other than a workout and hope we remain injury free.