Queen's Park 2020/21

21 minutes ago, smpar said:

I haven’t seen any bookies offering odds for the League One title yet but it’ll be interesting to see what QP start at. Odds on at this rate.

I'd imagine we'd be pretty long odds for league one this season!

I'd imagine we'd be pretty long odds for league one this season!

:lol:

Think you’d be better off betting you for the League One title right now than for League Two.

59 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Probably. But there is the McKinnon factor to consider.

...plus the fact we're still in League 2

I get that Raymondo is unpopular (to say the least) at some of his previous clubs but I only care about what he does here. When we appointed Billy Stark and Gus MacPherson we had similar comments as they were both seen as failures at St Johnstone and Queen of the South respectively. Both won us promotion.

We were going nowhere - apart from the Lowland League eventually - if we had stayed amateur and kept Mark Roberts. Turning part time pro in January and bringing in a new manager was the only option. I was surprised with who we appointed but he brought in a few new faces in areas of the team that needed strengthened and got our best players Galt and Muir back to their best. The talk from the dressing room was it was the first time in years the players had received proper coaching and training was like the Stark days. We only lost one of 10 league games ( away to Cove) and were in a decent position to challenge for promotion before Covid hit everyone. The vast majority of our support were delighted with what we were seeing on the pitch.

Now of course we have decided to go full time, obviously a pretty easy decision to make when a local millionaire offers to fund your playing budget. We have signed guys who wouldn't be anywhere near us otherwise. If we don't get promoted then I'm sure McKinnon will be gone. Strange times to be a QP supporter but exciting all the same. 

1 minute ago, Mick1867 said:

I get that Raymondo is unpopular (to say the least) at some of his previous clubs but I only care about what he does here. When we appointed Billy Stark and Gus MacPherson we had similar comments as they were both seen as failures at St Johnstone and Queen of the South respectively. Both won us promotion.

We were going nowhere - apart from the Lowland League eventually - if we had stayed amateur and kept Mark Roberts. Turning part time pro in January and bringing in a new manager was the only option. I was surprised with who we appointed but he brought in a few new faces in areas of the team that needed strengthened and got our best players Galt and Muir back to their best. The talk from the dressing room was it was the first time in years the players had received proper coaching and training was like the Stark days. We only lost one of 10 league games ( away to Cove) and were in a decent position to challenge for promotion before Covid hit everyone. The vast majority of our support were delighted with what we were seeing on the pitch.

Now of course we have decided to go full time, obviously a pretty easy decision to make when a local millionaire offers to fund your playing budget. We have signed guys who wouldn't be anywhere near us otherwise. If we don't get promoted then I'm sure McKinnon will be gone. Strange times to be a QP supporter but exciting all the same. 

The League 2 thing I noticed but someone else already pulled him up for that so I didn't bother!

McKinnon is unpopular at Morton, and to an extent Raith, perhaps harshly in their case, because of his behaviour. He's unpopular at Falkirk and Dundee United becuase despite clearly having the best squad in the division at his disposal he not only failed to get them promoted, he wasn't even particularly close to it. That would be the worry for Queen's Park. I mean, it should be nigh on impossible NOT to win the league with the squad you've assembled. I'd take at least half your players in the Championship no problem.

MacPherson wasn't popular at Queens and it's more than a little unfair. He took on a near impossible task when we were bordering on going bust and had to play First Divison (at the time) with a 2nd or 3rd division budget. He had no money to play with and had to wheel and deal and gamble a bit on players with bad injury records such as Tam Brighton and Marc McCusker which didn't work. The style of football was awful but that was to try and get results with a weak squad. It didn't work though and we got relegated. He also displayed a reluctance to blood youth unless absolutely forced. They probably weren't read largely at the time but under Allan Johnston a year later 4 or 5 of them burst through and breezed the Second Division. In the background he set in motion a lot of processes which made life much easier for Johnston a year later but he gets little credit because people didn't see that and it didn't bring instant results and, in the end, he's the only manager this century to get us relegated. I'm not going to claim MacPherson was a success at QoS. He clearly wasn't. But he wasn't an unmitigated failure either.

The League 2 thing I noticed but someone else already pulled him up for that so I didn't bother!
McKinnon is unpopular at Morton, and to an extent Raith, perhaps harshly in their case, because of his behaviour. He's unpopular at Falkirk and Dundee United becuase despite clearly having the best squad in the division at his disposal he not only failed to get them promoted, he wasn't even particularly close to it. That would be the worry for Queen's Park. I mean, it should be nigh on impossible NOT to win the league with the squad you've assembled. I'd take at least half your players in the Championship no problem.
MacPherson wasn't popular at Queens and it's more than a little unfair. He took on a near impossible task when we were bordering on going bust and had to play First Divison (at the time) with a 2nd or 3rd division budget. He had no money to play with and had to wheel and deal and gamble a bit on players with bad injury records such as Tam Brighton and Marc McCusker which didn't work. The style of football was awful but that was to try and get results with a weak squad. It didn't work though and we got relegated. He also displayed a reluctance to blood youth unless absolutely forced. They probably weren't read largely at the time but under Allan Johnston a year later 4 or 5 of them burst through and breezed the Second Division. In the background he set in motion a lot of processes which made life much easier for Johnston a year later but he gets little credit because people didn't see that and it didn't bring instant results and, in the end, he's the only manager this century to get us relegated. I'm not going to claim MacPherson was a success at QoS. He clearly wasn't. But he wasn't an unmitigated failure either.

Falkirk didn’t have the best squad in the division.

2 hours ago, Mick1867 said:

I thought that the spending was being funded from the sale of hampden. I hadn't realised it was from someone else's back pocket. I suspect that QP have the potential to be hugely successful due to their latent support. It feels different to those other clubs spending big where there is no substance behind the clubs themselves (Gretna, Kelty, East Kilbride, BSC etc etc). They should skoosh league 2, and probably league 1, and even in 5 years I could see them being in the Premier League at the expense of the likes of Hamilton or Franchise FC.

12 minutes ago, beaver1 said:

I thought that the spending was being funded from the sale of hampden. I hadn't realised it was from someone else's back pocket. I suspect that QP have the potential to be hugely successful due to their latent support. It feels different to those other clubs spending big where there is no substance behind the clubs themselves (Gretna, Kelty, East Kilbride, BSC etc etc). They should skoosh league 2, and probably league 1, and even in 5 years I could see them being in the Premier League at the expense of the likes of Hamilton or Franchise FC.

Steady now. I would go with you on leagues 1 and 2. I think if we become an established Championship club we will be well pleased.

20 minutes ago, beaver1 said:

I thought that the spending was being funded from the sale of hampden. I hadn't realised it was from someone else's back pocket. 

The £5m from Hampden is mainly being used to upgrade the new ground at Lesser Hampden, no idea what will be left over after that is finished. The plan was to go part time pro even before Willie Haughey got involved but his proposed involvement definitely influenced the members voting to officially ditch our amateur status as some were doubting how we could fund it.  He's been a member of the club for a while now and has wanted to get more involved for some time. He had previously funded some youth development programmes and the restoration of the Lesser Hampden dressing rooms. He has been offered a place on our committee and the naming rights to the new ground but he turned down both. Just wants to see his local club prosper apparently.  

Edited by Mick1867

Weirdly, if Queen's Park had remained a part-time club, I think Mr Raymond McKinnon would have been a good fit for them, something that was clearly demonstrable during the 10-week spell between him taking charge and the premature end of the season (for example, they were excellent when they beat Stenhousemuir 3-0 at Ochilview in mid-February).

But I do not think this man can be trusted to lead the team in what is undoubtedly one of the most exciting periods in the club's history. I don't think McKinnon can quite believe his luck he's in charge of this project - given the way his time at Greenock Morton ended abruptly, and his horrendous year in charge of Falkirk, it's surprising he was given the keys to Lesser Hampden.

I've said it before but there's not a lot about the current squad to get worked up about, Simon Murray aside. The players seem to be a means to an end - they will win League 2, comfortably so, but I think the team will need turned over again if Queen's Park want to get into the Championship at the first time of asking. A lot of the signings are unimaginative, players McKinnon has worked with at Morton and Falkirk, and I'm always suspicious about bringing in guys who are circling the drain and heading towards part-time football.

Given the way McKinnon is building his team, I don't think we'll see players like Neil Parry or Davie Anderson or Jamie Longworth or even Salim Kouider-Aissa joining the club again. I can't see McKinnon taking a punt of talented players from junior or non-league football.

I've got a massive soft spot for Queen's Park - I just won the Champions League with them in Football Manager 2020 and enjoyed a monumental 22 seasons at the club - and I really hope they do well in this new era, more so than daft little outfits like Darvel or East Kilbride, but I think they've picked the wrong man to kick it off!

7 hours ago, beaver1 said:

I quite like Hamilton. Second option would be pleasing though.

Edited by tamthebam

We also threw money at it with a shite manager & didnt win f**k all.

Exciting times for QP supporters but comparing Mckinnon with Stark or even Mcpherson is like comparing chopped pork with Steak...

Stranraer & Cowden Away results will probably go fair way to deciding your fate
Night and day between signing Archie Campbell and Sean Higgins to signing Simon Murray and Bob McHugh.

I’ll be honest, I don’t know much about this current situation with Queens Park but are the supporters worried at all that this guy could get bored and bail on you? I see Murray signed a 3 year deal, do you have enough cash to keep this going if this guy does disappear off the scene? 

3 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I’ll be honest, I don’t know much about this current situation with Queens Park but are the supporters worried at all that this guy could get bored and bail on you? I see Murray signed a 3 year deal, do you have enough cash to keep this going if this guy does disappear off the scene? 

Once we get the Champion's League money, we'll be fine.😎