Queen's Park 2020/21

Suppose it's about that time again. What a contrast to this time last year. Worry over the stadium and knowing we were a poor summer of recruitment away from disaster. We couldn't in our wildest dreams have considered ending up in as strong a position as we have. 

We don't really know what this season is going to look like and there's an outside chance that it might not even happen at all, but it's tough not to get excited at the prospect of a full-time setup and what looks like strong recruitment. 

It may be the first time I've ever gone into a season thinking 'we should really be looking to win this league.' That's not to suggest I think it'll be any sort of skoosh case for us. This is a tough level of football where attitude is as important as ability. Anyone thinking they're coming down here for a few quid and an easy ride will soon be found out. 

The team is shaping up very well. Two good keepers, with Grant, Slater and McHugh giving the basis of a very strong looking spine. Add the quality of Galt out wide and it looks even better. His experience at this level will be as important as the hundreds of Premiership and Championship games between the other guys. 

Would expect Edinburgh City to be strong again and Stirling Albion can't be messing around if they've signed Andy Ryan. Think it's important to couple the expectations with realism. Even a full-time side needs time to gel and my hope is that defeats and draws, which will inevitably happen, won't be met with hysteria. The fact that this is my main worry on the football side can only be a good thing. It beats being worried about the Lowland League in front of one stand at Lesser Hampden. 

Totally understand the pelters we'll get for our new found position. Everyone likes to see the moneybags sides struggle and we'd be exactly the same if we were watching another club doing the same. We'll be the team that everyone loves to beat, which I quite like tbh. Hopefully adds a wee bit more back and forth in the stands. 

Speaking of stands, I hope we get a send off at Hampden before moving into our new surroundings. It has its drawbacks as a stadium, but it's obviously intrinsically linked to very fabric of the club and it wouldn't feel right to leave without a proper send off. Very much looking forward to moving to what will hopefully be more atmospheric surroundings, though. 

Suppose it's about that time again. What a contrast to this time last year. Worry over the stadium and knowing we were a poor summer of recruitment away from disaster. We couldn't in our wildest dreams have considered ending up in as strong a position as we have. 
We don't really know what this season is going to look like and there's an outside chance that it might not even happen at all, but it's tough not to get excited at the prospect of a full-time setup and what looks like strong recruitment. 
It may be the first time I've ever gone into a season thinking 'we should really be looking to win this league.' That's not to suggest I think it'll be any sort of skoosh case for us. This is a tough level of football where attitude is as important as ability. Anyone thinking they're coming down here for a few quid and an easy ride will soon be found out. 
The team is shaping up very well. Two good keepers, with Grant, Slater and McHugh giving the basis of a very strong looking spine. Add the quality of Galt out wide and it looks even better. His experience at this level will be as important as the hundreds of Premiership and Championship games between the other guys. 
Would expect Edinburgh City to be strong again and Stirling Albion can't be messing around if they've signed Andy Ryan. Think it's important to couple the expectations with realism. Even a full-time side needs time to gel and my hope is that defeats and draws, which will inevitably happen, won't be met with hysteria. The fact that this is my main worry on the football side can only be a good thing. It beats being worried about the Lowland League in front of one stand at Lesser Hampden. 
Totally understand the pelters we'll get for our new found position. Everyone likes to see the moneybags sides struggle and we'd be exactly the same if we were watching another club doing the same. We'll be the team that everyone loves to beat, which I quite like tbh. Hopefully adds a wee bit more back and forth in the stands. 
Speaking of stands, I hope we get a send off at Hampden before moving into our new surroundings. It has its drawbacks as a stadium, but it's obviously intrinsically linked to very fabric of the club and it wouldn't feel right to leave without a proper send off. Very much looking forward to moving to what will hopefully be more atmospheric surroundings, though. 

If we play before March then we will be playing in Hampden at some point.

37 minutes ago, NathanQP said:

If we play before March then we will be playing in Hampden at some point.

Hopefully with a crowd. Reckon we could get a couple of thousand in for our last ever home game. 

Definetly nice to be going into the season feeling excited about our prospects, rather than wondering which end of the table we should be looking at.
Ironically this next season will start (whenever that may be) much like many others, with an almost entirely new squad. Obviously the difference this time is that we've been recruiting from the Championship rather than the juniors.
I fully expect to get the 'Cove/Edinburgh' treatment this season as the team with money to spend. We'll hear plenty of accusations that we're buying League 2, but the simple truth is that we're not doing that.....we're starting now to buy League 1 next year. League 2 is just a necessary stepping stone on our journey up the leagues [emoji6]

In all seriousness though, while we should rightly be confident about our chances, we will still have to earn anything we achieve on the pitch, and cant expect to just turn up and win games, no matter how much our players get paid or how many hours they train.

I'm looking forward to the season getting started, but fully expect there to be plenty of ups and downs before next May. This really is a great opportunity for us to achieve things, and I just hope we all are able to get to see it happen from the stands.

How big do you think Queen's Park could get now you've gone pro?   How large is the market of Weegies who do not want/cannot afford the Old Firm but who were not interested in an amateur club with no real prospects of climbing?   Glasgow is big enough to have three top flight clubs, Partick and (going back long enough) Clyde have shown that, and right now there are only two...

21 minutes ago, bluearmyfaction said:

How big do you think Queen's Park could get now you've gone pro?   How large is the market of Weegies who do not want/cannot afford the Old Firm but who were not interested in an amateur club with no real prospects of climbing?   Glasgow is big enough to have three top flight clubs, Partick and (going back long enough) Clyde have shown that, and right now there are only two...

A lot of variables involved. There are clubs in the Championship with less resources than we now have. Gretna also showed that you can essentially start from scratch and end up in the top flight if you throw enough money. I'm uneasy even thinking about it, though. We're in League Two and ultimately our one and only ambition should be getting out of that. Start assuming about climbing beyond that and you can quite easily be bitten on the arse. 

In terms of the market for us, I think it's there. Not massive, but enough to make a difference. The Southside has gone from not an awful lot happening to becoming, arguably, the most vibrant part of Glasgow in recent years. A lot of independent places opening and a lot of folk moving in. Get the sense that people are looking for something a wee bit different and we're certainly that in terms of football in Glasgow. I've no problem with us becoming a hipster team. It's long been my view that we should be trying to frame ourselves as the team for the southside of the city. 

I think there's existing goodwill there for us. You get a number of reactions from folk including patronising and mockery, but there's a good number with a soft spot, watch for the scores etc. Need to find a way of getting these folk along. I've never heard anyone local say "I fucking hate Queen's Park" which is a positive. It's a crowded market but if you were given the option of something to sell in Glasgow, football would probably be high on the list. 

43 minutes ago, bluearmyfaction said:

How big do you think Queen's Park could get now you've gone pro?   How large is the market of Weegies who do not want/cannot afford the Old Firm but who were not interested in an amateur club with no real prospects of climbing? 

It’s an interesting time in that respect and I trust the club is doing everything to seize the opportunity. Attracting bigger crowds doesn’t bother me necessarily; I think it matters a lot to bigger clubs with ego’s. But, more people through the gate supports the club and the players on the park so it’s a must have going forward imo. 

Hampden is a great stadium when it’s busy but isn’t worth going to twice when it’s empty if u don’t support anyone playing. We all have the mutual consensus that Lesser can be more community orientated and friendly with a good atmosphere. QP fans enjoy a sing so it shouldn’t be too tricky if we get a wee section at Lesser. A quality halftime pie helps too. As a younger fan, there is definitely an ageing population in the stands. We need to get some youngsters involved. As long as they don’t have a drum. Reasonable gate ticket prices at Lesser will help.

We’ll get stick this season but we’ve also been branded ambitious. Some L2 clubs are considered “dead wood” and have been criticised for being complacent and happy to drift around L2. People won’t be saying that about us so that may attract people.

Edited by QPSpider1867

3 hours ago, QPSpider1867 said:

Some L2 clubs are considered “dead wood” and have been criticised for being complacent and happy to drift around L2. People won’t be saying that about us so that may attract people.

It's interesting some people might think that considering most of the current L2 clubs have been promoted at some point in recent history. Of those that haven't Edinburgh City have been in a play off last year and I wouldn't call Annan and Elgin unambitious.

FWIW I think QP could attract a good crowd. There's no negative historic baggage attached to them, most people are neutral in terms of feelings towards QP compared to your north city neighbours Partick, let alone the gruesome twosome and if there's an exciting team to watch at a Lesser Hampden that has a good atmosphere then fans will come along 

And better and cheaper pies too of course!

It's intriguing though how the Pyramid is forcing teams to up their game, hence, I assume, the Queen's Park professionalism move.  I've no idea what's happened at Montrose but their brush with relegation seems to have galvanized them, promotion for the first time in a generation and very solid this season.

9 hours ago, tamthebam said:

It's interesting some people might think that considering most of the current L2 clubs have been promoted at some point in recent history. Of those that haven't Edinburgh City have been in a play off last year and I wouldn't call Annan and Elgin unambitious.

FWIW I think QP could attract a good crowd. There's no negative historic baggage attached to them, most people are neutral in terms of feelings towards QP compared to your north city neighbours Partick, let alone the gruesome twosome and if there's an exciting team to watch at a Lesser Hampden that has a good atmosphere then fans will come along 

And better and cheaper pies too of course!

Yeah just to be clear that’s not my opinion. I know how hard it is to get promoted. Every team does their best with the budget they have. 

1 hour ago, bluearmyfaction said:

It's intriguing though how the Pyramid is forcing teams to up their game, hence, I assume, the Queen's Park professionalism move.  I've no idea what's happened at Montrose but their brush with relegation seems to have galvanized them, promotion for the first time in a generation and very solid this season.

Without relegation from the league, we were so much in our comfort zone on every level. League club with a healthy guaranteed rental income from Hampden. In many ways, that comfort zone hindered us as much as it helped us. We didn't really make an effort to attract new fans because we didn't need to and trying to get an idea listened to by the club was close to impossible. That's not a criticism of specific individuals, it was a culture ingrained over the years and probably decades. 

Thankfully, we've also improved off the park. Gerry Crawley has been excellent since he's come on as President. He's been open with the fans, obviously recognised the impending danger and is also approachable in terms of listening to ideas. He's obviously not been the only one, but he's been the figurehead of the transition period. I certainly think he's at least partly responsible for persuading a number of people who would never have dreamed of ever backing professionalism if you'd asked them a year or so ago. 

https://spfl.co.uk/news/ladbrokes-league-2-team-of-the-season-defenders 

Vote for Nicky Jamieson. I was gutted he was released tbh. Thought he had so much to offer.   I’ll be raising questions if there isn’t a top quality replacement because Nicky was my man of the season. He didn’t leave because of work priorities he was just let go.

Nicky undoubtedly did well and will get another club no bother. The manager sees these guys in training and games and has been in the full-time game a long time. He is paid to make the calls and we'll just have to trust his judgement. 

It's clear from his signings that he's going for players with a certain profile. Significant experience and/or higher level. Bell and McHugh have over 200 games, mainly at a higher level. Slater and Grant have around 150 games at a higher level, and Galt has around the same at lower league level. 

We have the resources and I'd be surprised, as good a player as he is, if we didn't sign a centre half of equal or better quality. I do think we'll sign Stuart Morrison, but whether he'd go straight in to partner Grant, I don't know. Thought he was certainly on a similar level to Jamieson, but with the advantage of having been a full-time player and knowing what it entails. 

Jamieson had a fine season after making the step up from the Juniors but it has been pretty clear from the start that Mckinnon has his own ideas about players and what he looks for.   As far as I can recall there have been hardly any players who have recently been released by Queen's and gone on to have good careers in Scottish football. Will be interesting to see if Jamieson or even Moore can change that.

Edited by Skol1867
Grammar

Whenever the season starts I will not be there. This is a completely different club now who are no longer the under dogs, instead most games will now be favourites due to budget. Seeing the young player of the season signing for another club sums it all up really. It will not be long until a team is fielded with no experience of playing at ameuter level, which will be a further sad day for me if no one else.

13 minutes ago, Glasgow1999 said:

Whenever the season starts I will not be there. This is a completely different club now who are no longer the under dogs, instead most games will now be favourites due to budget. Seeing the young player of the season signing for another club sums it all up really. It will not be long until a team is fielded with no experience of playing at ameuter level, which will be a further sad day for me if no one else.

It's exactly the same club, just as it was when we first had sponsors on the jersey, just as it was when we started signing ex-pros, just as it was when we started paying the manager, just as it was when we signed professionals on loan. The membership spoke and spoke resoundingly in favour of the club evolving. Anyone pretending we were carrying the torch of pure amateurism for the past couple of decades is kidding themselves. 

You've released Jamiieson!!!!!  I can't believe that. If everyone just votes for the players from their own club in the team of the year we are not going to get a true result. Having said that, I voted for Craig Barr but he has been outstanding, week after week. If I were allowed two votes Jamieson  Would have got the other one.

2 hours ago, an86 said:

It's exactly the same club, just as it was when we first had sponsors on the jersey, just as it was when we started signing ex-pros, just as it was when we started paying the manager, just as it was when we signed professionals on loan. The membership spoke and spoke resoundingly in favour of the club evolving. Anyone pretending we were carrying the torch of pure amateurism for the past couple of decades is kidding themselves. 

Yes you are right, the vote took place and things are changing in my opinion not for the better. So, just speaking for myself I will not carry on but many more will and are very happy with the changes.

I don't see how accepting advertising revenue detracted from being amateur?

I don't see how ex pro's playing for no payment detracted from being amateur? Don't agree that once you have been paid you can never be an amateur again.

I don't see how paying officials and other employees results in players paying for no pay, not being amateur.

For me the club was very different and now has become the same as every other.

It's just my opinion and choice nothing more or less.