Dundee United's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Dundee United's Next Permanent Manager?  

334 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, Merkland Red said:

I'm going purely from memory but did he not spend quite a bit of money and bottle promotion several times?

His first spell, the form plummeted towards the end of the season & they finished outside the playoffs. But the bad form was at the same time as the Newcastle speculation. Although whether that was him or players who knows.

Just now, Tannadeechee said:

His first spell, the form plummeted towards the end of the season & they finished outside the playoffs. But the bad form was at the same time as the Newcastle speculation. Although whether that was him or players who knows.

Ah ok.

Not having a dig at the appointment. Every manager in Scotland is here because England didn't work out or hasn't happened yet.

5 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Ah ok.

Not having a dig at the appointment. Every manager in Scotland is here because England didn't work out or hasn't happened yet.

No I totally get it. There are some howlers in his CV too, Wolfsburg, Forest, Newcastle and QPR. He joined Forest straight after Billy Davies and those last 3 clubs mentioned were basket cases (QPR 21 managers in 10 years or something similar). 

Having said that after every "bad" one he has a good spell, his last one was bad so....

Considering the other options, other than maybe Wright, and if McLaren does take the job, I think United have come out of this pretty damned well.

He's a gamble, but then all managers are a gamble. He certainly can't be worse than Stubbs was for us.

McClaren has a LOT of failures on his CV, but no-one else in Scotland's CV stacks up anywhere near his.

The worry would be that he's not lasted longer than a full season in 10 year and ultimately, he's not been successful in about the same time span, but that's the only reason a club like United can even tempt him.

In any case, if I were an Arab, I'd be ignoring that, sitting back and laughing that we'd just appointed  someone of his calibre when being linked to the likes of Malky.

Absolutely quality coach and I hope he fucks it up big time. Fair play.

Winning the league with Twente was fairly astonishing. I mean the Eredivisie isn't quite as fcuked up as the SPFL, but it's the only time they've won the league and no team since outside the big3 (Ajax/PSC/Feyernoord) have won it since.

For context, they finished 14th last(this?) season.

On the other had, he's lasted only 31, 29 and 46 games at his last 3 clubs.

But if we're not going to go for Levein 😥 Dutch Steve will do.

Edited to add: Now McClaren's name has been floated, if we appoint Malky the Cretin, I'll have a meltdown!

Edited by ArabFC

1 minute ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Is my memory playing tricks or has McLaren not previously applied for a few jobs in Scotland?

Think he was linked with one or two jobs including the Scotland gig at some point, but don't think it was anything more than paper talk.

1 minute ago, Ric said:

Considering the other options, other than maybe Wright, and if McLaren does take the job, I think United have come out of this pretty damned well.

He's a gamble, but then all managers are a gamble. He certainly can't be worse than Stubbs was for us.

I'd definitely rather be gambling with a guy who won the Dutch league, reached the UEFA Cup Final and looked a bit daft with a brolly.

I think this’ll be a laugh if nothing else, Mackay would’ve just turned people away. Despite McLaren’s failings for (pretty much) the last decade, he’s still a big enough name that he’ll probably generate a fair bit of enthusiasm and shift extra season tickets. Tommy Wright probably wouldn’t have.

10 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

McClaren has a LOT of failures on his CV, but no-one else in Scotland's CV stacks up anywhere near his.

The worry would be that he's not lasted longer than a full season in 10 year and ultimately, he's not been successful in about the same time span, but that's the only reason a club like United can even tempt him.

In any case, if I were an Arab, I'd be ignoring that, sitting back and laughing that we'd just appointed  someone of his calibre when being linked to the likes of Malky.

Absolutely quality coach and I hope he fucks it up big time. Fair play.

I'd disagree a bit with that that but concede your over all point. His last season at Derby they had been 1st to 3rd all season. Entered March in 1st, then pretty much stopped playing, finished in 5th. It was a calapse of epic proportions, but both Derby stints had decent win % & 2nd Twente wasn't too bad but never in a month of Sundays going to live up to the 1st one.

If he stays for 2 seasons and the likes.of Daly, Robson & McPhee have been interviewed as assistants to be groomed to take over then I'm OK with a short spell. Assuming it's successful.

But I'm sure you'll be here to laugh should it all go wrong!! ( Would be disappointed in any Dee who didn't)

Edited by Tannadeechee

2 minutes ago, Tannadeechee said:

I'd disagree a bit with that that but concede your over all point. His last season at Derby they had been 1st to 3rd all season. Entered March in 1st, then pretty much stopped playing, finished in 5th. It was a calapse of epic proportions, but both Derby stints had decent win % & 2nd Twente wasn't too bad but never in a month of Sundays going to live up to the 1st one.

If he stays for 2 seasons and the likes.of Daly, Robson & McPhee have been interviewed as assistants to be groomed to take over then I'm OK with a short spell. Assuming it's successful.

But I'm sure you'll be here to laugh should it all go wrong!! ( Would be disappointed in any Dee who didn't)

I'd be happy with 5th.  For the first season, anyway.

37 minutes ago, Ric said:

If he doesn't get ground down and spat out by the Scottish goldfish bowl media.

You've seen what an absolute mess it's made of some managers who really should have been able to cope with it.

What's more, have you seen the wreck Tom English has become just from covering it!

Hes been the England manager. If hes still sane after that I don't think the Scottish Sun and p***k Young of BBC Scotland will pose much threat to him. They'll be up his arse to get as many stories as possible.